Cape Breton coal mine with a 3 yr old?

We want to do the Cape Breton Mine experience in Sydney, NS. Would our energetic 3 year old enjoy it?

We just took the mine tour. It was, in total, a 75-minute guided tour including about 20 minutes of explanation before going down. Once down, the tour itself goes a total of 1/4 mile in and around and back out, so it isn't a huge amount of walking. Your 3-year-old, unlike the adults, will not have to stoop over the whole time. We stopped several times for 3-5 minutes for additional explanatory talks.

It's a GREAT tour (maybe depends on your guide, but our guide Abbie was great). You know your 3-year-old best. You describe her/him as "energetic" so the walking won't be a problem, but the sitting still and listening to the lecture parts might be.

Our 8-year-old liked it, but I don't know for sure how much she really understood about the dangers of mining by the end of it.

I have a question for 2 if by sea how did you get to the miners museum and what ship were you off.

Diane Drover of Tartan Tours took us there, picking us up from the Maasdam.

(Is that you? Or do you just know her well. If it's you, thanks again! We had a very nice day in Sydney and I really think our activities on Cape Breton were the highlight of our entire cruise. I'm happy to recommend you to others. And thanks for the cap; my daughter is starting a collection. If it isn't you, feel free to pass this message along.)

Archived