Lamanai or Xanantunich

jsimpson569

• 6 months later...

I've got half of it. Both tours are long: Lamani by road to a river, then upriver to the ruins (no other way to get there). Xunantunich a long bus ride all the way cross-country. Make sure your independent arrangements are secure before booking either one, or book through the ship.

I have done upriver to Lamanai. If you feel secure about the time element, a fantastic experience. Probably the highlight of my several cruise excursions. You see a bit of country on the road (flat, not too exciting), then up river in a small boat. They will try to show you as much wildlife as possible, maybe a croc if you're lucky. Guides are typically proud of the country and well informed.

Ruins are in an isolated jungle setting by a lagoon. A couple of big pyramids, one of which you can climb (very steep! but spectacular view). One temple has a pristine limestone mask, four or five feet high, recently excavated. Lots of giant fig trees, towering palms and howler monkeys. A very memorable site. Absolutely unique.

I went through the first company you mentioned. They were quite professional and very aware of the need to get us back to the ship on time.

Haven't been to Xunantunich, but it's said to be very extensive with monumental buildings as well. This is on my own wish-list for the future. Also a long journey from Belize City.

I can definitely recommend Lamanai to the highest degree. Regardless of which tour you book, make sure you're got a full day (8 hours at least) in port, and communicate clearly with your tour company regarding time. Remember that ship time is usually different than local time. You have to tender out, so make arrangements with the purser's office to get the earliest tender possible. Be assertive. Lamanai is awesome, and by reputation the other site rates four stars as well.

Has anyone done both of these tours? I was looking at the site Belizecruiseexcursions. Also a company called Amphilife Tours. Any info would be appreciated.

We did a tour through HAL to Xunantunich last week. The weather was rainy but we thought this was a great tour. It is a long bus ride to the site from Belize city (2 hours each way) but you pass throgh many of the different eco systems on the way which, if properly explained by your giude, are worth seeing. The bus ride through this small country also affords the opportunity of seiing life as it really is in this country-good and bad. The ruins are not extensive but most interesting and the climb to the top of the temple is worth the view. Depending upon your physical condition and fear of heights you may wish to ascend only part way. The HAL tour utilized Grey Line which did a great job.

Archived