How to pack my formals? (please help ASAP)

I know this isn't the fashion discussion board, but I need a fast answer as we are leaving tomorrow morning to drive down to Cape Canaveral for our cruise on the Mariner, and there are more people on this board.

I pulled out our old garment bag from the basement and it is wrinkled and it is SHORT. All that will fit is my husband's suit! How do I pack my 2 formals and my daughter's 2 formals?????

HELP!
Thanks,
Sue

Costa Cruise Lines - 1979 & 1986

Leaving 4/11 on Mariner of the Seas

If you put the garments in the plastic bags that you get from the cleaners, and then hang it in the garment bag, this will avoid wrinkles.

Enjoy your cruise......

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;07;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
7/15 - Jewel of the Seas

The garment bag is not long enough. The gowns would have to be folded in half or smooshed or something at the bottom to fit. That's my dilemma. What do I do about that?

Sue

Costa Cruise Lines - 1979 & 1986

Leaving 4/11 on Mariner of the Seas

Had the same issue 2 yrs on last cruise, long formal, short garment bag. If you tie up the bottom like they do when you purchase a dress in the store in one of those cleaner bags and hang in garment bag, minimal to none wrinkles. I just hung my gown in bathroom and ran shower to steam any out, but there were few to steam. My gown had mix of satin and knit with sparkles so could have wrinkled easily.

Use the dry cleaners plastice bags and fold the formals in half and place in suit case. Once on the ship send the formals out to be pressed. The pressing prices are really good.

Mariner of the Seas

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=09>
<param name="day" value=19>
<param name="hour" value=7>
<param name="minute" value=20>
</applet>

Don't put them in the garment bag like the stores do by tying them at the bottom. Fold them in half and put the plastic bag over them and them hang them in the garment bag. Make sure you put each dress in a plastic bag. If the dress is satin, it will have a slight wrinkle, but if it doesn't come out with the steam from the shower, let the ship press. It's no big deal.
Have a great cruise.
Linda

I had this problem when we cruised in 2002. I got plastic bags from the dry cleaners. Put the plastic bag over the dress, tie it at the bottom and then fold and put in garment bag. I did this at the recommendation of my sister-in-law who is a tailor. All of the dresses came out great with no wrinkles, even my cotton sundresses! I'm not sure what Linda is thinking, but if you fold them before you put the plastic bag over them, they will have a crease where you folded it (I've tried that method before which is why I asked my sister-in-law for help). If you by chance do have a problem, either purchase a garment steamer (Walmart) or hang the dress in the bathroom and turn the hot water on in the shower and the steam will take the wrinkles out.
Hope this helps.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Happy Cruising

Patty

I don't worry about neatly packing my formal wear. I just pay the $4-$5 on the ship to have it pressed. I have the same problem with my husband taking up all the room in the garment bag.

Navigator of the Seas 05/15/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;05;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Patty,
I guess I didn't make my explanation clear. Of course, you put the plastic bag over the dress first and then neatly fold it up where the bottom of the dress does not hang freely and crease everywhere. Your method is great [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Linda

Someone on the boards said it's $4, plus tip to have a dress pressed on the ship. Just an option in case your packing technique doesn't work out. The plastic works well for me...I especially love my silk dress that packs up in a Ziploc.

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02
Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03
Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03
Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03
Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04
Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

My daughter was in Rainbow Girls and we travelled with 4-5 formals every week. Take a plain white sheet. Fold it in half length wise. Sew the bottom and top closed. Leave 3-4 inches in the middle of the top to place hangers through. I used two long zippers to close the bag, one from the bottom to the middle and one from the top down. The bag them opens all the way. It works well, is inexpensive and holds up well.

Archived