St. Croix in less than 3 weeks!

nrh322

On a whim, I just booked a land based vacation to St. Croix for my DH's b-day. We're leaving three weeks from yesterday. It's one of the few spots in the Caribbean I've never been diving (or even visited!) We're staying at the Carambala on the North shore... near Cane Bay.

There is a dive shop at our hotel. I have no idea if they are any good or not. They seem to be one of about 6 on the island. Right now, unless someone tells me different, we plan to start with them for the sake of convenience. From what I can tell on their website, it looks like they have fab little boats.

I'm all over TA picking up trip info about stuff to do on land, but there seems to be more divers here (or at least we all hang out in the same place)... any suggestions about anything would be greatly appreciated. I've heard that the old cruise ship pier in Frederiksted is a cool, night shore dive and that we can't miss Buck Island. Other than that, I'm pretty much clueless.

Thanks...

NRH

On a whim, I just booked a land based vacation to St. Croix for my DH's b-day. We're leaving three weeks from yesterday. It's one of the few spots in the Caribbean I've never been diving (or even visited!) We're staying at the Carambala on the North shore... near Cane Bay.

There is a dive shop at our hotel. I have no idea if they are any good or not. They seem to be one of about 6 on the island. Right now, unless someone tells me different, we plan to start with them for the sake of convenience. From what I can tell on their website, it looks like they have fab little boats.

I'm all over TA picking up trip info about stuff to do on land, but there seems to be more divers here (or at least we all hang out in the same place)... any suggestions about anything would be greatly appreciated. I've heard that the old cruise ship pier in Frederiksted is a cool, night shore dive and that we can't miss Buck Island. Other than that, I'm pretty much clueless.

Thanks...

NRH

I have been to St Croix twice, once last June and once 4 yrs before. We stayed near Cane Bay both times. We loved it. Nice relaxed pace. My sons, now 19 and 22, did the discover dive with Cane Bay Dive shop the first visit. Last year, the younger one and a friend did the check out dives for PADI Certification with Cane Bay (the older one was already certified,but went along for fun). The 3 guys dove all week we were there. I highly recommend Cane Bay Dive shop. They do both shore diving at "the wall" as well as taking a little boat out to other spots further away. There is a little open air beach restaurant and bar attached to the dive shop that has good food. We also ate at Rum Runners in Christianstead twice as it was so good. Carambola is a beautiful resort. We had family portraits done by a local photographer at Carambola. Restaurant there was a little pricey if I remember correctly. Also, best place for liquor (if you partake) is the Kmart. They have boxes just inside the door to load up your bottles.

For Buck Island - we used Big Beard, but that was a snorkel tirp. You can only get to Buck Island by boat. For kicks - since you are on the same side of the island - go see the beer drinking pigs - non- alcoholic of course. If you need any other questions answered about St Croix - just holler;)

Suzanne

Archived