Ever been to Puerto Caldera ?

Maryandi

We are stopping there on the Island Princess. Princess does not as yet have any tours posted on their website.

It doesn't look too far from Puntaranas but I was wondering if anyone has stopped here ? What tours were available ? any private tours ?

Thanks for any help, MaryAnn

MaryAnn,

I have never been there but I will be going in February on the Mariner of the Seas. I have done some research but have not found out very much yet.

I have read that it is 2 hours from San Jose, the capital. That makes for a long bus ride. It’s 45 minutes for the touristy town of Jaco, but I don’t yet know anything about Jaco. It’s 18 km southeast from the city of Puntarenas.

That’s about all I have found out, I will be watching this thread so that I too can find something to do there.

Roger

Hi - That's about what I have found out, too.

We went to Limon (Atlantic side of C.R.) and took the all day tour to San Jose, it was long but we liked it. However, I'm not interested in repeating it.

I think it will be tours similar to going to Puntaranas. They would probably use the same tour operators, etc.

It just must be some issues withe port or docking that is making them go there. Otherwise, they would be going to Puntaranas.

I'd be happy just going to Jaco, it's supposed to be a popular beach.

If you find out anymore, let me know and I'll do the same.

MaryAnn

Here is something you may want to try to find out what is available at Caldera...you obviously won't be able to book anything but you can check out what is available. If the ships offer excursions then they are usually available privately as well....and usually cheaper!

Go to Holland America's website. On the left side below the masthead you'll see the usual, "find your cruise" search engine. Click on Panama Canal for destination. Click on Vancouver for departure port. Click on 2008 for date. Click on Veendam for ship.

This will bring you to a reposition crusie from Vancouver to Tampa...click on shore excurions, Caldera and bingo!!! you will see a list, and description, of excursions.

I know that Oscar Brown, who operates out of Limon, and who we have used in the past, also will come to Caldera for tours....he does require a minimum of eight people however. We are working with people on our Roll call to put one of his tours together for Caldera in October.

Hope this helps! There a bunch of what sounds lioke really good excursions available in that part of the world.

Have a great cruise.

Hey, that does help ! Thanks.

I see that the tours are about the same as Puntaranas, as I thought. That's good.

I like the Poas Volcano one. Unfortunately, I'll be on the Island Princess, HAL shifted the Amsterdam around and we had to get another line. Oh well, we'll have fun. Never had a bad cruise, just some I liked more than others.

Princess could offer the same tours, I hope.

If you are going before Nov., tell me how your tour was.,

All the best, MaryAnn

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also am looking at tours. One group stopping there with Celebrity is looking into JD Watersports which seems to have a jungle river cruise available. Going to check into it but if anyone familiar with it would appreciate any information.

Monocracy Cruiser - think we will be on Mariner with you. If JD's works out maybe we can link up.

Archived