Skipping Grand Cayman - Port charges apply?

TimmyVan

Hi all

We're sailing on Explorer of the Seas on November 7th, and we were told that due to the damage hurricane Ivan brought -- we were skipping Grand Cayman as a port of call. This, of course, is understandable, and we'll certainly miss that port.

My question would be -- if we're told 3 weeks in advance we're not going to Grand Cayman, are we due a refund for port charges already paid? I asked Royal Caribbean this, and was told "there was no compensation for changes in the itinerary." I was viewing it however as a refund for services paid, and not rendered.

As anyone else run into this? I was just wondering if I'm thinking along the right lines?

Thanks for the input!

You may be in luck, someone reported that Grand Cayman will be available for cruise ships by the first of November.

As far as port charges go, RCI's view seems to be that port charges are an operational expense to them which is part of the overall price, not an additional charge to you (like taxes) which you pay for separately. So, no they don't refund them - or charge you more if they happen to substitute a port with higher port charges.

Anyway, I wonder which costs them more port charges and a ship sitting at anchor or no port charges and fuel for keeping a ship moving at sea.

Archived