Port vs starboard on Pride of America

Louise45

In May 2008, we were on the Port side of the ship. You can only see the lava flow from the starboard side of the ship. We had to go up on the deck on the other side of the ship to see it. For the Napali coast line, the closest sail by is on the port side. At the end, the ship turns around and sails back by, but not up as closely as the first sail by (and the sun hitting the coastline was better on the earlier sailby). Since we saw it all the first time, we didn't watch it closely on the second sailby, so I might be a little biased!

Both sides have some perks. I saw some beautiful views and sunrises from my port balcony. I bet someone on the starboard side could say the same!

We just got home today from the June 28th sailing. The lava flow was seen on the starboard side our ship went past at about 9:30 in the evening. The Napali coast was best seen from the port side and sailed past about 3:30. Our ship did not turn around and sail past it again but instead we sailed to a part of the island and parked to watch fireworks on the 4th of July then left and sailed back to Honolulu over night.

For a view of the Napali Coast from your balcony you need to be on the port side. The lava flow (if it is visible) is on the starboard side. The lava flow is only visible for a few minutes as compared to the afternoon cruise of the Napali coast. We had a port side balcony and that is what I'd choose again.

I know the Napali Coast is the last day but what island is the lava on? Our trip is different than most. Ours goes from Honolulu to Hilo, then to Kahului (Maui) for 2 days, then off to Kailua, and last Nawiliwili where we will see the coast as we leave on our way back to Honolulu. I thought maybe the lava side would be different for this intinerary.

The lava sailby is the evening after leaving Hilo. It is seen from the starboard side. We had a port balcony, but we found plenty of space on deck 12 starboard to watch the lava. We enjoyed having a port side balcony for Na Pali, as it was closer and slower than the reverse sailby.

sandm, I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. I had a balcony cabin on the starboard side of the ship on the POA, June 28th. It was rainy for most of the port sailby of the Na Pali Coast and cleared up just before the turn around. I viewed the coast from the covered portion of an upper/public deck for the port sailby. However, after the turn, I returned to my cabin to watch the entire coast go by again...as far as the Kilauea lighthouse...from my own starboard side balcony and saw the largest, most intense rainbow I have ever seen. Also, the lava flow on the sail from Hilo to Kona was best seen from the starboard balconies.

Now, as a caveat, it was July 4th and the captain made a slight deviation in plans and sailed back to Nawiliwili for fireworks which may be the reason the starboard side viewing was longer than usual.

The captain planned to "park" the ship just north of Nawiliwili so the fireworks could be seen fairly close up from the starboard side but due to a medical emergency, we ended up back inside the harbor. As we headed back out, we did see the fireworks a short distance away from the port side.

All that said, I think either side of the ship offers a slightly different but wonderful experience.

jitbug

Jitbug, you are correct about the Na Pali coast. After the passby on the port side I went inside to shower since we saw it by helicopter the day before and missed any further announcements. I agree that both sides offer wonderful views. It really is beautiful.

Archived