Tips on AOS

Will be on AOS in September. I know some ships are automatically adding tips to your onboard account. Is Royal Carribean (Adventure of the Seas) doing this? I was just curious on whether or not I needed to get the correct change for tips. I like to have my tips already prepared and separated before I go. If tips are charged to your account, I do not have to prepare ahead of time! Thanks!

Yes you can have your tips charged to your account. I have been on the AOS 2 times (going again in Aug.) & have been able to charge them to my account or you can pre pay them. However, if you want to charge them to your account, it must be done early. I believe they stop charging your account by noon on the 5th day.

Sandi

I usually take cash for this also. We prefer that. As of December, charging the tips is still optional. To my knowledge RCI has not started the mandatory charge. It is only charged if you fill out the paperwork and turn it in at the pursers desk (ahead of time).

I have sailed on the AOS twice and planning my third for this fall. The charging of tips to your seapass account is only for tips for your cabin steward, head waiter, waiter, and assistant waiter. When charging tips to your account, you are only allowed to charge what the ship recommends for each person. In other words, the assistant waiter is only given $14.00 per person. On my last cruise, our assistant waiter did far more for us than our waiter did. So, I gave the assistant waiter the $14.00 that was charged to my account, plus I added an extra $15.00 because he was so great. He had gone out of his way to bring us food items special from the kitchen that were not on the menu....such as a platter of fresh fruit everynight with dessert.

Also, you might need spare cash for incidental tips. Like on this last cruise, one of my suitcases was delayed getting to my cabin and I really needed it before dinner. I mentioned that to one of the cabin stewards on my floor, and within 5 minutes, I had my suitcase. So I gave him $5.00.

And, don't forget the bar servers. In the dining room each night you will have a bar server. The bar servers receive a 15% tip automatically on each drink they sell. However, if you are a drinker, you will see that the bar servers take very, very good care of you. On both cruises that I have taken on the AOS, my dining room bar server had my favorite cocktail waiting for me at my dinner table each night. I didn't even have to ask. So naturally on the last night, I gave my dining room bar server a $20.00 tip. And, the bar servers by the pool are fantastic too. Always remember to tip the bar servers well, and they will take great care of you!

Kimberly

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

Disney Wonder 11/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04, planning 10/04

If you choose the cash option, the calculator below does all the hard work for you!

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Archived