What to do in Ft. Lauderdale?

judyf

I just booked my airfare for my March cruise. I was getting worried about the prices going up and up.

We will arrive about 2:30 in the afternoon day before cruise and have a full day post cruise. What is there to do in the area?

I'm thinking of changing my flight to leave from Orlando area after the cruise so we have some time in Disney. But I thought I would check here first to see what everyone has to say.

Last April we sailed from Tampa and we had 3 1/2 days in the area pre and post cruise and wished we had more thanks to everyone here giving me lots of info and links.

Thanks for any info and tips you can send my way!

Judy, one of the things we have enjoyed was taking the water taxi. It's only $5 per person and you can ride it as often as you want. As you go along, the "captain" describes the mansions and yachts that you will see. You can get off at any stop you want and find shopping and restaurants nearby. Here's a link which shows their two routes and some of the things you can see at the stops.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Here is another vote for the water taxi. Last year we stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper which was right at one of the stops. There was a nice restaurant called Mambo's I think at stop number 12 that we enjoyed.

Thanks for the info. So there's enough to do besides eat, LOL (Trying to stick with my diet) even in Ft. Lauderdale.

What tourist attractions is there in the area? I didn't plan to rent a car unless we drove to Orlando so the water taxi sounds great.

Just need a few more ideas other then eating and shopping not # 1 on our list of things to do. We would like to explore the area and visit some sites. Example in Tampa we went to St. Pete's Pier, a beach to watch the sunset, John's Pass and Big Cat Rescue this was our favorite thing we did!

Host Chris turned us on to the best restaurant in Fort Lauderdale -- the Blue Moon Fish Company. Great great food with great service -- you'll need reservations! As we wondered down the road from this restaurant, we stumbled onto Athena's Grill by the Sea. Great Greek restaurant/bar and they had belly dancers for floor entertainment. Fun, fun -- be sure to have the Humus dip with your pre-dinner drinks!

http://www.sunny.org

Sooooo much to see and do. Great restuarants at every turn! Nice Beach! Everglades a short drive away! Outlet shopping! Cultural events, museums and art galleries! Or Hooters, gambling boats, swamp tours and "jungle" party boats if you prefer.

Lots to do, not to worry, the 2 days you have will not be enough! Leave seeing "the rat in Orlando" for another trip ;-)

Host Chris turned us on to the best restaurant in Fort Lauderdale -- the Blue Moon Fish Company. Great great food with great service -- you'll need reservations! As we wondered down the road from this restaurant, we stumbled onto Athena's Grill by the Sea. Great Greek restaurant/bar and they had belly dancers for floor entertainment. Fun, fun -- be sure to have the Humus dip with your pre-dinner drinks!

Sooooo much to see and do. Great restuarants at every turn! Nice Beach! Everglades a short drive away! Outlet shopping! Cultural events, museums and art galleries! Or Hooters, gambling boats, swamp tours and "jungle" party boats if you prefer.

Lots to do, not to worry, the 2 days you have will not be enough! Leave seeing "the rat in Orlando" for another trip ;-)

Today 12:41 PM

Thanks for the link that's what I needed to get started! Sounds like a lot to do. Belly Dancers sounds like fun and so does the Humps Dip but I don't eat fish or much meat so I think I will look for something mexican, southwest or veggie!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I think it would be rather hectic to depart from Orlando. Let's fact it. By the time you debark the ship, get a rental car, drive to Orlando and you'll have a flight out of Orlando the next day, how much time are you realistically going to have to spend in Disneyworld? I just think that's an awful lot of driving out of your way for not much time to spend in Disney. If you had several days to spare, maybe. But leaving the next day after your cruise just sounds too hectic. I'd stay in Ft. Lauderdale, spend a day doing the water taxi thing. Tour the homes along the intracoastal waterway, go to the beach for the day, walk around Las Olas Riverfront. Or relax by the hotel pool. Don't forget most airlines want you there 2 hours before your flight, so you need to factor that in. Leaving one day post cruise doesn't actually leave you as much spare time as you'd think.

Archived