What Happens If.......?

FMCowboy

We are sailing the Legend in September. If for some reason there is a Hurricane or something brewing out there, what do they do? Do they cancel the cruise or sail elswhere? What is typical?

Also, how much rougher are the seas in the Gulf during early/mid September? I am apt to seasickness, and did ok in November on a 3 night on RCCL Sovereign of The Seas, in a lower deck oceanview. This time would be in the heart of Hurricane season, in an upper deck balcony room.

Thanks

FM

If you'll be sailing in the path of a hurricane the Captain will go around it. Which means possible missed ports.

I've sailed in Sept twice, so far. I've never noticed any more movement than when I cruised in May. And one time there were 3 storms out there.

I did meet a couple in St. Thomas, from another ship, who cruised from NY. They said it was rough the first two days due to the storms.

Each hurricane situation is unique, they will do as needed to keep pax and ship safe.

Often, right after a hurricane has passed thru an area the water is glassy flat and calm. Like the storm has sapped ALL the energy out of the ocean.

Dan

We were on the Legend last September over Labor Day week. We didn't know where we were actually going to go due to all of the storms that the Western Caribbean experienced. We found out when we got on the ship - and even then they told us it could change. It really didin't matter to us where we went, we just wanted to go! Our original ports were Belize, Grand Cayman, Casta Maya and Cozumel. We eneded up in Key West, Grand Turk, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. We had a blast. When you're traveling during hurricane season one of the most important things to remember to bring with you is flexibility. We didn't hesitate to book the Legend again this September.

As far as the water goes, we didn't notice any more movement in the Gulf. In fact, it was rougher when we were on the Inspriration in November due to cold fronts coming through. The Gulf is usually pretty calm.

Silc

I would "relish" not knowing exactly where we we're going like in a "Mystery Cruise" fashion. :D But then I very seldom book excursions or absolutely positively MUST ever go to any particular port. :)

I cruise for the day the Captain says, "Well folks, there are hurricanes all over the friggin' place, I can't seem to find one port to go to, so I guess we'll just have to take refuge in the Mediterranean someplace ! ! " :D

It did end up being a blast. Being Floridians, Key West was no big deal for us. But neither of us had ever been to Ocho Rios. We ended up doing a private excursion with some other folks from CC that we met at our meet and greet. It truly ended up being one of our best days on a cruise excursion.

My thought is the Capitan will keep us safe at all costs. The ship is loaded with things to do. Any port offers surprising adventures. Have Dramamine, will travel. And I'm not at work - I'm on a cruise. It's all good!

Silc

We are sailing the Legend in September. If for some reason there is a Hurricane or something brewing out there, what do they do? Do they cancel the cruise or sail elswhere? What is typical?

Also, how much rougher are the seas in the Gulf during early/mid September? I am apt to seasickness, and did ok in November on a 3 night on RCCL Sovereign of The Seas, in a lower deck oceanview. This time would be in the heart of Hurricane season, in an upper deck balcony room.

Thanks

FM

I've read about several different scenerios. Sometimes they cruise around the hurricane and miss a port, sometimes never, they just avert the weather. Another post said they spent extra time in Cozumel.

If you are prone to sea sickness then I was suggest you take something before you get onboard. It's harder to get rid of it once you get it.

However, I believe dramimine makes you sleepy. Bonine (sp) does not. I seen people with the transdermal patches behind their ear so that may be an option for you.

I would "relish" not knowing exactly where we we're going like in a "Mystery Cruise" fashion. :D But then I very seldom book excursions or absolutely positively MUST ever go to any particular port. :)

I cruise for the day the Captain says, "Well folks, there are hurricanes all over the friggin' place, I can't seem to find one port to go to, so I guess we'll just have to take refuge in the Mediterranean someplace ! ! " :D

That would be a dream come true!!

Mona:

I see you were on the Legend in May. How was it?

FM

I'm not wild about Spirit class ships (this was my first one) but lots of people love them! I just wasn't used to the layout. I really like the ports.

I was going to give you a link to my review but the search is down.

Also, how much rougher are the seas in the Gulf during early/mid September? I am apt to seasickness, and did ok in November on a 3 night on RCCL Sovereign of The Seas, in a lower deck oceanview.

FM

I sailed on the Fascination out of Miami ONE DAY after hurricane Katrina went through Miami. The ocean was as calm and glassy as a lake in the early morning. It was literally so calm that we felt as if we were docked the whole time.

Then, we sailed on the Liberty in November right after tropical storm Gamma (same busy 2005 hurricane season), and it was ROUGH for a day or two. In fact my home video shows me sitting on the window sill of our cabin talking about how big the waves were and showing the waves splashing against the window (we were on the Riviera/Forward). It didn't make us sick but it startled the s#$@ out of us a couple of times. We would feel the up motion followed by a crashing down motion. Everything in the cabin would shake. creak and rumble. It was actually pretty fun but it wasn't for the faint of heart!

that will be great Mona once search is back up.

In the meantime, the review and pics from my cruise in May on the Legend are linked in my signature if you'd like to see those.

On topic this time, I would not worry about a hurricane, either. On my cruise, we encountered an abandoned refugee raft. It was like a needle in the haystack, for sure. A true testament to their detection capabilities! Pics and description are in my review, and pics are in the Webshots album.

I also saw a cruise ship special on TV once where they showed the doppler radar on the bridge of that cruise ship. I'm sure most if not all ships have their own radars, and even if they do I'm sure their home offices have meteorologists on payroll.

I'm of the opinion (like someone I read here somewhere) that the companies have too much invested in their ships, not to mention possible lawsuits, to let the ships run in the path of a hurricane.

Relax and enjoy your cruise, wherever it takes you!

In the meantime, the review and pics from my cruise in May on the Legend are linked in my signature if you'd like to see those.

On topic this time, I would not worry about a hurricane, either. On my cruise, we encountered an abandoned refugee raft. It was like a needle in the haystack, for sure. A true testament to their detection capabilities! Pics and description are in my review, and pics are in the Webshots album.

I also saw a cruise ship special on TV once where they showed the doppler radar on the bridge of that cruise ship. I'm sure most if not all ships have their own radars, and even if they do I'm sure their home offices have meteorologists on payroll.

I'm of the opinion (like someone I read here somewhere) that the companies have too much invested in their ships, not to mention possible lawsuits, to let the ships run in the path of a hurricane.

Relax and enjoy your cruise, wherever it takes you!

Not to scare anyone but they MUST avoid hurricanes. Cruise ships are built with shallow draft flat bottoms to allow them to dock at shallow water Caribbean ports. Shallow draft flat bottoms are NOT what you want in foul seas. Ocean liners [QM2] have deeper draft and shapes for stability.

Dan

We always travel during hurricane season. It is safe and these ships have such sophisticated technology that they know days in advance when a hurricane is going to hit certain places.

On my 2nd cruise, hubby's 1st cruise, before we even left the home port, they announced that our itinerary will be changing because a hurricane was brewing by one of our islands. Instead of going to half moon cay, we went to Nassau, and the days we were at each island was switched around. The first night the water was a little rough but nothing horrible. It actually ended up for the better because we ended up staying about 4-6 hours longer at each island. I don't know why but I also didn't question it.

On our next cruise, our ship was set to sail on Saturday, but on Wednesday afternoon, I recieved an email stating that the island order has been changed and instead of going to Costa Maya, where a hurricane had damaged so much of the island, the ports were closed off, we would be going to Honduras. It ended up being one of the best islands we have been to and the hubby is dying to go back there because he loved it.

Archived