Category 11 worth the price?

katerkat

We are planning on booking the Carnival Pride's Mexican Riviera in September, after my husband gets home from deployment. We got a very decent price quote for a balcony, but now I'm considering surprising my husband and upgrading to a mini-suite. (I would do a cat. 9A but there's none available.) Is the extra space worth it? We're going with our three-year-old, and our last cruise on RCCL in a balcony, it was kinda tight with little boy Hot Wheels everywhere. But on RCCL, the cost difference between a balcony and a junior suite is negligible - on Carnival, it'll cost us a good $1000 or so more than the balcony.

Also, do the mini-suites have bar railings instead of glass(ish) on the balcony? I think I read that somewhere, but I can't remember now. Bar railings are bad with a monkey for a child.

If you can get one of the cat 11 aft wrap-around balcony cabins, definitely go for it, the balcony is 220 sq ft! If you're upgrading to a regular cat 11, it's probably not worth it if you like the location of your regular balcony cabin. I would not upgrade to a 9A on the Pride, not worth the extra $$. The area below the wood railings are glass on the spirit class, not bars like some of the older ships (Fantasy class).

We usually book a 9A but on the Liberty last month we were upgraded (love the fairy, also our first) to a category 11. What we loved about the room was the bathroom. Double sinks and a jacuzzi tub/shower with glass doors and separate dressing table area before going into the bathroom. It certainly was nice not having any water to wipe up on the floor. The room is a nice size. The balcony is larger then a regular category balcony room. My husband was also home from deployment so it was a very nice surprise for him. Back to the 9A (aft wrap) on the Freedom, we really do love those rooms. If I was paying for the 11 it would probably be difficult for me to give up the 9A, regular balcony absolutely .

Thanks for the advice! It turned out being $1500 more - totally not worth it! We booked a regular balcony on Deck 6. And our travel agent gave my son a big poster of all the Carnival ships! Now I just have two months to figure out what all has changed with Carnival in 13 years. :D

We are planning on booking the Carnival Pride's Mexican Riviera in September, after my husband gets home from deployment. We got a very decent price quote for a balcony, but now I'm considering surprising my husband and upgrading to a mini-suite. (I would do a cat. 9A but there's none available.) Is the extra space worth it? We're going with our three-year-old, and our last cruise on RCCL in a balcony, it was kinda tight with little boy Hot Wheels everywhere. But on RCCL, the cost difference between a balcony and a junior suite is negligible - on Carnival, it'll cost us a good $1000 or so more than the balcony.

Also, do the mini-suites have bar railings instead of glass(ish) on the balcony? I think I read that somewhere, but I can't remember now. Bar railings are bad with a monkey for a child.

We had a Cat. 9a cabin, very nice and large, it was cabin 7301. I wouldn't spend the extra on a Cat.11, save the extra cash for swimming with the Dolphins in P.V. and other things.

Fred

Archived