Oops...........

Cooks_Bay

070708_cruisetext.jpg

JUNEAU, Alaska — A cruise ship ran aground near Glacier Bay National Park near Juneau Monday morning.

Officials hoped the Cruise West ship with 51 people aboard would refloat with the high tide in the afternoon.

The 207-foot Spirit of Glacier Bay was traveling just over 1 mile per hour when it ran aground at 7:12 a.m.

The ship was moving slowly when the mishap occurred on a three-night cruise of Glacier Bay, according to Jerrol Golden, spokeswoman for Cruise West. It occurred in Tarr Inlet northwest of the park.

The hull of the ship was not compromised and no injuries have been reported, the Coast Guard said. There also was no indication that the ship was leaking any fuel.

Officials said oil containment boom was deployed around the vessel as a precaution.

The cause of the grounding was not immediately apparent, Golden said.

• Administrators

Wow. Here's a link to the AP feed on the story -- http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jVcl_izLj-t1-nAQzBcOWAx4jTvAD91P6GB00

This is the same ship that, as the Spirit of Nantucket, hit Civil War era debris on the east coast last summer and had to run aground because she was taking on so much water. It sort of makes you wonder about the basis for all the sailing superstitions about lucky and unlucky ships. :( I hope she's refloated soon and that her passengers aren't experiencing too much anxiety.

Wow. Here's a link to the AP feed on the story -- http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jVcl_izLj-t1-nAQzBcOWAx4jTvAD91P6GB00

This is the same ship that, as the Spirit of Nantucket, hit Civil War era debris on the east coast last summer and had to run aground because she was taking on so much water. It sort of makes you wonder about the basis for all the sailing superstitions about lucky and unlucky ships. :( I hope she's refloated soon and that her passengers aren't experiencing too much anxiety.

I think I would pass on taking it from Miami to Bermuda.........

Whoever was driving that ship was an idiot! Judging by the photo they went aground on the far right side of Grand Pacific glacier where the outlet stream comes into the bay. Because of the large amounts of silt that are in the water, that area is always very shallow and the sandbars shift constantly. I wouldn't take my 18 ft. boat in there let alone a small cruise ship. The riffles in the water alone would indicate the shallowness there.

I would be willing to bet that the bridge was relying on some fancy GPS software (which is unreliable at glaciers because of advance/retreat rates and sediment accumulation).

Archived