Looking at becoming a travel agent

I am an AVID cruiser and have reached a point in my life that I can work from home and start a new career. I am interested in becoming a travel agent that specializes in cruise only travel. I am unsure of the process. I have looked into taking the online courses offered to become certified and would like to offer my time part time or full time with an agency. Can anyone give me any tips on how to move forward. I thought that my love of cruising and my desire to help others would be a fantastic mesh. I know working in the business can be stressful at times but right now I am a claims adjuster and frankly, after auto accident stress, anything is welcome. Just looking for advice.

Go talk to your local travel agencies. Ask them about becoming an agent specializing in cruises, even working for them. They can tell you what you need to do, what type of college courses you need if any. Beware of junk mail offering to train you - for $$$. I'd say start with an agency who will have phones ringing. If you're on your own, who's going to know to even call you until you are well established. Our TA worked for NCL then was with 2 BIG agencies. Now she is an independant cruise only agent and is so busy she only handles repeat passengers and referals (she asks how you heard of her). She's been a cruise only agent now for about 20 years and is VERY sucessful. Good luck and welcome to cruisecritic!

I would highly recommend working with a large agency first that has good training. There is so much more involved than just booking a cruise as you do as an individual. You will need to know every cruiseline, not just one, the regulations of each, itineraries, shore excursions, insurance information, booking systems etc. Online courses are not really going to teach you the business. You will need to join CLIA to receive any commissions, and if you are working on your own the commissions will be so low, they will not even cover your insurance you will need. You might look into joining a good host agency that has training. DO NOT join any company that charges you money for fun and travel. They are not travel agencies and some cruiselines do not even accept bookings from them...they are known as "Card Mills".

Archived