1st time cruiser, question about San Juan ??

ilycam

The cruise we are taking leaves San Juan at 11:00pm, I wondered if anyone could tell me if our plane arrives in San Juan around Noon would we be able to board the ship 1st and than leave the ship for a few hours to tour Old San Juan? We did not plan an extra day before or after and I would like to explore San Juan a little but wasn't sure if we would have time.

Thanks!!

Chances are you will be on the ship in san Juan by 2p at the latest. You will be able to leave the ship with your room key (Card) and explore where ever you wish. Old Town is a lovely place to shop, and while your at it, pick up some soda or what ever you want to drink on the ship, and bring it on. I have never had a problem bringing on anythig but hard liquor. I would be back on the ship when its getting dark, because San Juan is like any large city, and you will have to be careful. There is crime there. Have fun

13 cruises, and Jewell on 11/14/04

Ilycam, you should have no problem getting off the ship to tour. We went out of San Juan last February and absolutely loved it. I do agree w/Melissa if you can to go down 1 day early especially if your sailing out of cold weather in the winter.

Have a great time OSJ is beautiful and friendly.

Debbie

We loved San Juan! We went in 3 days early and spent time with friends that live in Yauco, on the other side of the island. We also stayed over on Sunday in OSJ an my husband thought that was one of the highlights of our trip. Not having to rush to the airport on Sunday or rush to get to the ship on the front end was definitely a plus. We always try to go in early and stay over a day. If that is not possible, I would at least try to go in a day early. Either way, enjoy your cruise.

Judy

We're leaving out of San Juan for our cruise as well, but have booked to come in a day early. Will the hotel hold our luggage the day of the cruise if we check out and then want to go play prior to getting on the ship? We've booked the transfers and the hotel thru Princess.

We have cruised out of San Juan several times. Some trips we go early and spend a few days in San Juan and some trips we arrive the same day. It's no problem boarding and then getting back off the ship. I'm not sure if they do this since 9/11 but one time we changed into shorts on the plane, checked our luggage in at the ship and walked around Old San Juan before ever boarding the ship. Then when we were tired and hungry we simply boarded and had something to eat before going to our cabin where our luggage was waiting for us.

We're leaving out of San Juan for our cruise as well, but have booked to come in a day early. Will the hotel hold our luggage the day of the cruise if we check out and then want to go play prior to getting on the ship? We've booked the transfers and the hotel thru Princess.

I'm not sure when your sail date is, but we're sailing in less than 2 weeks. I checked my cruise docs and it mentions that Princess will pick us up at our hotel around 12pm. You should be able to checkout early and have the hotel store your luggage until the Princess rep is ready to pick you up.

• 2 months later...

ilycam,

My wife and I are on the same cruise. Yes, you can check in at approximately 1pm and then come and go as you please. Just be back in time for the life boat drill (LOL). Anyway, there is much to do in San Juan. If you tell me what it isexactly you are interested in, I'll recommend some great places in and around San Juan. My wife and I cruise from San Juan exclusively, so we have had many opportunities to explore and take advantage of San Juan for our usual pre and post cruise stays. For this particular cruise, we will be doing our pre cruise stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan, located directly across the street from the cruise pier.

John

Archived