Formal night questions - not a dressing ??

beegirlie

My DH and I are spending the holidays on the Coral through the Panama Canal Dec 23-jan 6. We are crazy about formal wear and dancing and are especially looking forward to our 3 formal nights. I called princess to find out which nights are formal nights on this itinerary. The young lady on the phone (sounded like she was about 12 and unsure about her answers) said that there are no set nights for formal night on the cruise, it is decided on the ship. I inquired about preordering boutineer (sp?) for my DH-- what can I say-- he likes the way a tux makes him feel. I like it when he feels the way he does in a tux. My international man of mystery...rwaor! :cool: Anywho...

She (12 year old Princess CSR) informed me that you can not preorder those. Now this seems a bit silly as the brouchure I read online says I have to pre-order the Boutineers. So if I don't know which night are formal, how can I pre-order? :confused:

CC members, you always have answers for everything. I have been lurking around since we reserved our cruise. As a first timer, I must say that I have already had many HOURS-- Ok at this point DAYS of enjoyment investigating the heck out of the cruise and the options. ok posted a book- sorry. All answers appreciated.:)

My DH and I are spending the holidays on the Coral through the Panama Canal Dec 23-jan 6. We are crazy about formal wear and dancing and are especially looking forward to our 3 formal nights. I called princess to find out which nights are formal nights on this itinerary. The young lady on the phone (sounded like she was about 12 and unsure about her answers) said that there are no set nights for formal night on the cruise, it is decided on the ship. I inquired about preordering boutineer (sp?) for my DH-- what can I say-- he likes the way a tux makes him feel. I like it when he feels the way he does in a tux. My international man of mystery...rwaor! :cool: Anywho...

She (12 year old Princess CSR) informed me that you can not preorder those. Now this seems a bit silly as the brouchure I read online says I have to pre-order the Boutineers. So if I don't know which night are formal, how can I pre-order? :confused:

CC members, you always have answers for everything. I have been lurking around since we reserved our cruise. As a first timer, I must say that I have already had many HOURS-- Ok at this point DAYS of enjoyment investigating the heck out of the cruise and the options. ok posted a book- sorry. All answers appreciated.:)

Just ask your steward or room service upon boarding and it will be no problem to order at all.

Mike:)

The answer book that you will get from Princess will have all the answers that you will question. The one I have states that pre orders for boutonnieres are only for Tahitian & Pacific Princess. So, as the other poster stated just ask when you board.

Jan

As what days formal nites are on, when you get to your stateroom there will be a schedule on what days the formal and the smart casual nites are. Have a great cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic. You are going to love the Coral. She is a great ship; I know I have been on her 5 times.:D Will be on her again next april doing a full transit.

Marilyn

The young woman was correct in telling you that she cannot predict the formal night, however, you can always use the "at sea" principle which is usually pretty accurate. The formal nights will usually be an at sea day and the first one will usually be the first full day at sea....the subsequent formal night or nights will most likely also be at sea days. Officially the formal nights are always at the captains discretion , but this priciplal works fairly well if you are just trying to get a feel for it. You will know more when you board. By the way, my niece is 35 and she sounds about 12 on the phone as well, It sounds like you are a patient person so I'm sure she appreciated that, they may BE new and somewhat unsure of themselves, you never know, but how many of us has had a job they were new at and were terrified? If you are not sure the answer she gave was accurate, call back.....I know it is an inconvenience but sometimes people really are doing the best they can!!!!!!! I used to work for Quest in Denver and the call center burnout rate was astronomical. Luckily, I do not have to do that type of work anymore :)

I see you are on a New Year's cruise. Having done this myself I can tell you that New Year's Eve is very Formal, even to formal wear at the deck party (one of many venues). For our Christmas cruise, Christmas Eve (12/24) was also formal.

On almost every cruise we've been on the 2nd night (Christmas Eve for you) is formal (for 7 day cruises that's usually Sunday), and the second to last night is usually formal. I am sure others will note the exceptions, but that seems to be the general rule.

So, those two and New Year's Eve makes ...three!

Cacy- thanks for the reply. I admit I must have read the book incorrectly, and I do realize people all are new at some point. I meant absolutely no disrespect to the young lady on the phone. :o It can be hard working with the public. I simply want my CSR to inspire confidence. Thank goodness there are so many wonderful people to turn to on these boards. :)

Times Prince- Thanks for the extra info --I honestly was hoping for the holidays to be the formal nights. Oh ultra formal!! Love, love it. I am taking 3 gowns. Thank goodness we are being dropped off at the port. :D I am so giddy.

We asked our TA to find out the formal nights for our cruise in January on Ruby (7 nights) and she came back with 11th and 15th January:confused: So either you must be able to find out well before the cruise date (10th January) or else my TA has made them up:eek:

Archived