Tips For A Fun Cruise

I really like to send myself (and whomever I am traveling with) gift certificates for onboard credit, gifts such as wine, photography certificates, water bottles/thermos, spa credits, or whatever I think I'll use. It's great fun to have the extras delivered to my room and I've already paid for them. It's great to get off the ship with very little money due!

Also, I like to search the boards and read the daily Compasses before we sail. It gives me an idea of what activities will be offered. I don't usually plan each day, but I pick one or two things that I think I'd like to do.

On our sixth cruise, we decided to skip one of the ports that we'd been to several times and stay onboard because we were worn out from three busy port days in a row. It was a great decision. Everywhere we went, the ship was virtually empty. We had the basketball court to ourselves, the exercise equipment and weights were free for the taking, the pool chairs were vacant, and even the eating venues were relaxed and uncluttered. What a relaxing (and inexpensive) option to going ashore. I asked my husband, "How much would you pay for an excursion that gave you full access to a cruise ship with only a few other people onboard?"

Another tip is to have your picture taken at several different places. Take serious shots, casual pictures, and we like to make a "funny face" at least once (these pictures always get a laugh from our kids). You don't have to buy them all, in fact, you might want to wait until the last morning before purchasing them. This will give you something to do while you are waiting to get off the ship, and you'll be able to see all the pictures at one time rather than having to go back to the photo area every night (this saves time and money).

You can also take your own camera and ask strangers to take your picture for you. We did this for a family on formal night. They grabbed us as we were walking by and they asked us to take their picture. They were really dressed up and they had posed on the grand stairway. The pictures came out great and it didn't cost them a dime!

Check out the library. It's great to pick up a book to read while you're at the pool or on your balcony (it's free too).

If you want some "freebies" attend the shopping seminars. Be sure to sit in the front row, wear something bright, and make alot of noise when they are giving away the free stuff (in otherwords, get noticed). We did this on the first and second cruises and it was exciting the first few times to win a free shirt and a free shore excursion.

If you like to scrapbook, save some mementos from the ship (i.e. coasters, Compasses, etc.) to use in your scrapbook. Remember to take your camera to the muster drill (how often do you get a picture with your lifejacket on)? I also suggest taking a picture of the signs on the islands with the names of the island as you get off the ship. When you look at your pictures later on, you'll remember what island the pictures were taken on (okay, I'm a blonde).

Take some $1 bills for tips for room service, cabin steward, porters, etc.

Use the same bartender every day. Once they get to know you as a regular, you may get a free drink. Plus, you'll have made a friend and some good memories.

If you are traveling with a spouse or significant other, take a few things for a romantic night or two (i.e. battery operated candles, nice smelling room sprays, etc.).

Ask for robes from your cabin steward as soon as you get to your room. Sometimes you'll get some!

Tip your room steward extra and ask for ice in your bucket twice a day. Take a water bottle (or buy one onboard) and fill it with ice and water before going ashore or going to the pool. The ship charges alot for bottled water. I often take a backpack rather than a purse because it works well on shore excursions (easy to carry and it holds alot).

Call you cell phone carrier before you travel and find out if you have coverage and what the costs are on the ship and on each island. AT&T offers an international package for $5.99 a month which lowers your rates overseas. The package can be removed when your bills have come in.

Once in awhile, order more than one entree, dessert, and appetizer. Sometimes, it's hard to choose!

Take your binoculars. It's exciting to spot the dolphins and flying fish out to sea.

Take a walk at night on the upper deck. It's windy and exhilarating.

Play shuffleboard and ping-pong. Basketball is great too!

Simmer for at least 1/2 hour a day in the jacuzzi. It will help you relax.

Swim, walk, or jog at least once a day.

Visit the spa at least once. You'll feel pampered, even if it's just a pedicure.

Take a night off from the main dining room if you really are too tired to dress up. We've only done it once in six cruises (because we love to dress up), but we found the food to be very similar in the casual dining room at night. It gave us another night of rest and and extra dressy outfit.

Pick one thing to buy from the ship that either has the ship name on it or that will remind you of this particular cruise. We buy a certain mug (they have a picture of the ship on it) from each cruise. My father-in-law buys a hat and my mother-in-law buys a tee-shirt. It's fun to drink coffee at home and be reminded of our vacation. Some people buy ornaments (we get these from some of the islands we visit) and we like to find small art pieces from the islands too.

I have also enjoyed collecting a key-chain from each cruise (we use them for our spare keys as well as our everyday keys). These are relatively inexpensive items that are small and pack easily (we bring a sheet of bubblewrap for the mug and we wrap it well in our clothes).

Another picture idea: take pictures with you in the foreground. We have alot of pictures of just scenery too, but I really like the pictures that show the scenery (and the ship) in the background with us in the picture too.

Walk through the gift shops once a day. They'll ususally have something on sale/clearance which makes for nice gifts for others. Last time we picked up candy and rum balls for $3/box.

Take a class that you'd never take at home. Noone will ever know!

Ask your tablemates or fellow passengers what they've done that they've enjoyed. We've often found out what shows to see/avoid and ideas for shore excursions this way.

Use the stationary in your cabin desk drawer to write down what you've purchased and the cost of the item each day. When you fill out your customs declarations on the last day, you'll already have a list of what you bought on the islands and how much it costs.

We also use the stationary to write short notes about employees who provided us with great service. By day six, I sometimes have a hard time remembering names and faces! You can use this information when you fill out your comment cards on the last day.

Put everything important (jewelry, keys, wallet, passports) in the safe. We use plastic bags so that nothing gets left behind inadvertently.

Take a copy of your passports and a copy of your daily Compass and your cell phone with you when you go onshore. If you miss your ship, get lost, get sick, or have an accident, you'll have everything you need. The Compass has the name, phone number, and address of the RCI agent on the island. You may not think anything will happen to you, but things do happen. Last time we were walking on on a wooden boardwalk and I tripped and fell. Fortunately I was just bruised, but if I had broken something, we would have needed help!We also take a copy of Travel Insurance policy (with phone numbers).

If you are flying, don't overpack. Take 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of sandals, and wear your tennis shoes. Pack wrinkle-free items including cocktail dresses rather than formals. Take 1 swimsuit. Put sheets of tissue paper inbetween each layer of clothes. This really helps the wrinkles! Use tiny travel size toiletries/cosmetics. If you're really a clothesaholic, spend $20 and have some of your clothes laundered onboard. You can take 1/2 the amount of clothes this way (a good investment now that airlines charge for extra luggage).

When you first get onboard, wear your swimsuit under your clothes if you want to get in some sun the first day. Be sure to bring a small bag onboard with your essentials in case your luggage doesn't make it.

Take pictures of the ship while the ship is in port (the first day is always good). There's less movement and your pictures won't be as shaky.

Take at least one shore excursion. Some of our best memories have come from excursions (whale watching, swimming with the stingrays, touring St. Lucia and swimming inbetween the Pitons, Eli's Eco-tour in Antigua via catamaran). "Get out there!"

Take the stairs-your scales will be glad you did!

Bring your favorite music. There's limited selections in the cabin.

Bring a small travel-size flashlight. In the middle of the night, it's great to be able to see your way to the bathroom without waking anyone else up!

Take a water bottle to the muster drill if you get hot (I do). Don't be the first one to the muster drill. It's hot and cramped in the back!

Be aware that they already add in a 15% tip on your bar/specialty coffee drinks. It's automatic. It's not mandatory to add more.

If you wear glasses/contacts, bring an extra pair. Being blind on a vacation is not a good thing :)

Large black garbage bags can be used as a lightweight dirty clothes hamper, for wet swimsuits and sandy swim shoes, and for wrapping fragile souveniers.

I've never needed duct tape, an over the door holder, a door sign to find my cabin, a bungee cord to hold a door open, or a highlighter. I've taken them (on my first cruise), but I personally never used them.

Have the cabin steward take everything out of the frig. Keep your water bottle in it along with some cheese/fruit/snacks from room service (no waiting for room service when you don't want to go out to eat).

Check your daily account on the t.v. each day. Mistakes happen. Don't wait until the last day. The line will be very long at Customer Service the last day!

Spend $10 to get a porter immediately when you get off the ship. They'll find your luggage, load it onto a dolly, whisk you through customs, find you a cab, and load the luggage into the cab. It will be the best $10 you've spent! This also applies to the airport if you are flying out the day you get off the ship. A small tip goes a long way when there are tons of cruise ship passengers at the airport!

Bon Voyage!

Karen in Kentucky

Lots of great suggestions...

Not sure if I saw these.

Understand the airline rules of packing.....don't start your trip off bad.

Get in a day early......

I get a postcard from each port and ship pics for sea days.....I journal on them.

Remember you are traveling with 1000's of people.....have patience

Be on time for things.......

Don't try to do it all you will be back.......do an open booking while on board for your next cruise.

I didn't see this one: Wear/bring a watch! We just returned from a trip on the Majesty and realized that our cell phones didn't work most of the time; therefore, we had no idea what time it was when we were in the cabin. I haven't worn a watch in ages, but I'm planning to pick up a cheap one before our next trip!:D

I've never needed duct tape, an over the door holder, a door sign to find my cabin, a bungee cord to hold a door open, or a highlighter. I've taken them (on my first cruise), but I personally never used them.

Join the "Balcony Club"!!! (and discover new uses for the items mentioned above!) :D

I also suggest taking a picture of the signs on the islands with the names of the island as you get off the ship. When you look at your pictures later on, you'll remember what island the pictures were taken on (okay, I'm a blonde).

I'm a redhead (at least that's what the bottle I buy it from says), but I do the same thing, AND if I'm on one of the ships that has the days of the week in the elevators, I take a picture of that each morning so I'll know what I did on what day!

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it or not, but one thing I make sure to do is get room service at least one night. Just for snacks 'n' cookies. It feels nice to just lounge around the room/balcony and have a gnosh!

OH, and be sure to catch karaoke one night. Good or bad, it's fun to watch!!

What terrific advice from all the posters. Hmmm...I've tried to think of one that no one has mentioned yet...

Waiting in line anywhere can be frustrating. However, when waiting in line at the bar to get a drink, take a few minutes and get to know the people in line around you. People are so friendly on cruises.

My DW doesn't understand how I can go get a drink and know something about 3 or 4 strangers by the time I get back to my deck chair. There's no frustration about waiting in line and it makes your drink taste way better!:D

(Especially a mai tai!!!):cool:

Archived