What to bring???

j9lights

Hello!

I am new to this board but have found a huge amount of information here so I thought I would ask a question. What should you bring with you if the scuba trip says gear is included. I know this can differ from person to person but any info is helpful. Myself and my friend are certified to dive...we learned for our job but have never been out of that controlled enviroment. So we thought it was time to see something alive in the water...besides performers!!!:D

Thanks for any help!

J

Hello!

I am new to this board but have found a huge amount of information here so I thought I would ask a question. What should you bring with you if the scuba trip says gear is included. I know this can differ from person to person but any info is helpful. Myself and my friend are certified to dive...we learned for our job but have never been out of that controlled enviroment. So we thought it was time to see something alive in the water...besides performers!!!:D

Thanks for any help!

J

So are you a safety diver for the "O" show in Las Vegas?

When I dove during my cruise in Feb 08 I brought all my gear minus weights and tanks since I know my gear was in perfect shape and that gave me a better feeling then using rental gear. It was about half and half on people that brought their gear and folks that rented. It is worth every penny the airlines charges me for the extra bag of dive gear. What I brought was mask, fins, snorkle, BCD, regs, shorty wetsuit and boots plus odds and ends like light and save a dive kit.

have fun!!!

Since you didn't say what gear you have, it is harder to answer your question, butI think that if you have your own gear, you should bring it.

I'd expect to have basic rental gear included as part of the cruise dive excursion if the description says gear is included. That would mean you'd get a basic jacket style BC, a reg setup with gauges (but no computer), maybe fins and the mask if you needed it. You will not get a wetsuit as part of the gear package, but it is possible that rentals would be available. I think it is best to bring your own wetsuit, if you have one, so you'll know that only one person has been peeing in it.

Notice I didn't mention a snorkel. That's because you asked about scuba diving, not snorkeling and I think snorkels are for snorkeling not diving.

Assuming you have all your own gear for a full set-up, I would put things in the following order (highest importance first)

Mask (fits properly and, in my case, proper presciption lenses)

Regulator (I know the maintenance history of it and only I have been chewing on the mouthpiece)

Computer (known operation)

BCD (good fit and familiar with its operation and/or quirks)

Wetsuit (nobody (else) has peed in it)

Fins and Snorkel (fairly generic items - just clean them well)

Some might switch the mask and regulator in order but the lenses are very important to me.

Weights and tanks would definitly be had from the local operator. They are not worth the trouble (assuming you are flying to your departure port). Just know how much weight you need and bring along a couple of spare O-rings. If your BCD is weight integrated, bring the empty pockets and drop in the local weights.

Thanks for the info....

yes I work in vegas. It's pretty cool. That's basically what I thought, but just wanted to double check.

J

Cool id rather be under water during the "O" show rather then in the house watching.

Cool id rather be under water during the "O" show rather then in the house watching.

It would be a good chance to use your rebreather training, unless the OP actually works maintenance on the Bellagio fountains, then you'd want drysuit training.:cool:

Archived