Cruising On Victory In To St. Johns 7/17 Questions

Hey All

How is the weather normally up there in late July?

Also are the waters rough going up to Canada?

Anything to do up there, we're only going to be there 1 day.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!

Are you sure you're going to St.John's, Newfoundland? I think you are going to Saint-John, New Brunswick. While Saint-John is not my favorite city in the Maritimes Provinces, it still is nice. Have you looked at the ship excursion, they will give you an idea of what you could do. Bay of Fundy is great (one of my favorite outdoor spot in Canada) but it's quite far from the ship, I would recommend a ship excursion or renting a car and plenty of time to get back on the ship.

Are you sure you're going to St.John's, Newfoundland? I think you are going to Saint-John, New Brunswick. While Saint-John is not my favorite city in the Maritimes Provinces, it still is nice. Have you looked at the ship excursion, they will give you an idea of what you could do. Bay of Fundy is great (one of my favorite outdoor spot in Canada) but it's quite far from the ship, I would recommend a ship excursion or renting a car and plenty of time to get back on the ship.

Actually Saint John is located on the Bay of Fundy and the ship has to pass through the Bay of Fundy to get here. It would be like my saying that Quebec City is far from the St. Lawrence River----which I know is not so.

Actually Saint John is located on the Bay of Fundy and the ship has to pass through the Bay of Fundy to get here. It would be like my saying that Quebec City is far from the St. Lawrence River----which I know is not so.

Ooops, you're right of course!

I meant it is "far" from the Bay of Fundy National Park where are the big tides and "rocks" are. I'm not very clear I guess but here is a picture of what I had in mind when I said it's far (and it's not that far but not close enough to go by foot or short taxi ride).

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for clearing that up!

1959493724_BayofFundypicture.JPG.a75f8cc5937cf23b689a7f94e31792a0.JPG

Ooops, you're right of course!

I meant it is "far" from the Bay of Fundy National Park where are the big tides and "rocks" are. I'm not very clear I guess but here is a picture of what I had in mind when I said it's far (and it's not that far but not close enough to go by foot or short taxi ride).

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for clearing that up!

Your picture is of the Hopewell Rocks and you are right--they are a few hours away, although I do believe the cruiselines offer an excursion there.

Hey All

Check out the thread "Updated for 2008 FAQ's about Saint John, New Brunswick" Acey has outlined a lot of facts about SJ, and many posters have asked questions and had them answered.

As to the weather----we are a coastal city and that means the day could be hot and sunny or cold and foggy---and both on the same day.

Temperatures on a nice day run in the high seventies and sometimes into the eighties. If it is foggy it will be in the mid sixties right on the coast. I live two miles inland from the port and my back yard can be sunny and very hot and yet if I run uptown I can encounter fog and much cooler temperatures. My best advice is to layer your clothing so you can peel off layers as the day warms up.

Re the Bay of Fundy---It can be as calm as a millpond or very rough--also all in the same day.

Hey All

Come join our role call. We're a friendly bunch!:D

Hey All

If I am reading my ship schedule right ...you are in port from 9 am to 7 pm...this should give you plenty of time to go to Hopewell Rocks...but I would recommend that you take a ship tour , to insure that you get back to the ship on time.

As for weather ...it can be very hot and sunny and very very foggy and cool/cold...weather here can change with the "bat of the eye"

Our city is very beautiful and very friendly...there will be a Meet and Greeter as you come thru security to the tour tour and gift tent...the ladies will get a rose and the gents get a collector pin of Saint John and the childern get a Canadian flag...we are also there to give you any help about where to meet your tour and to answer any questions that you have. I am a M&G.....we will be all wearing the navy pants, white tops and navy jackets/blazers and we are all volunteer's for the Port of Saint John...looking forward to welcoming you to our city.

Our city is very beautiful and very friendly...there will be a Meet and Greeter as you come thru security to the tour tour and gift tent...the ladies will get a rose and the gents get a collector pin of Saint John and the childern get a Canadian flag...we are also there to give you any help about where to meet your tour and to answer any questions that you have. I am a M&G.....we will be all wearing the navy pants, white tops and navy jackets/blazers and we are all volunteer's for the Port of Saint John...looking forward to welcoming you to our city.

Will there be taxis waiting that offer professional tours ? if so, any idea of the cost? What would you suggest doing for a young married couple for the day?

Will there be taxis waiting that offer professional tours ? if so, any idea of the cost? What would you suggest doing for a young married couple for the day?

There are a number of walking tours of the city.....they are free and I normally have a few booklets of the tours...but you can pick them up at city hall information booth.

Yes , there is a booth set up inside the tour tent on the pier...as to the cost, I think it is ~$40-50 and the driver will take you anywhere you want to go. Just remember we are a coastal town and that the weather can change very fast.......dress in layers.

If the weather looks nice you can aways go the the city market and get some cheese, bread, nice New Brunswick wine and fruit and go to the park up behind the "falls restaurant" and have a nice quite picnic and a great view of the city , your ship and the world famous Reversing Falls.. Of course you'll have to bring a towel from the ship to site on...but there are tables there too. When you are done you can take the water taxi back to market slip and do some shopping uptown and then walk back to the ship..........just an idea:)

Anyways I do hope that you enjoy your visit and have a great marriage and happy honeymoon.

Archived