Family cruise - cruising with an infant questions

Littlegoo75

Over the last few years, I would cruise on Carnival once a year. I took the last 2 years off due to getting married and having a baby. I am jonesing so bad for a cruise right now it's not funny.

I was looking to organize a family cruise either next Summer or next Christmas (2009). Now, back in my child-free days, I said I would never consider taking a baby on a cruise and didn't think it was a good idea for other people to do it either (yes, I am a total hypocrite). My baby is now 9 weeks old, so by the time of the cruise, he will be a little over a year if we cruise during the Summer, or a little over a year and a half old if we cruise over Christmas.

Keep in mind, I am one of those parents that is very considerate towards other people because I used to be one of those child-free people that would get annoyed by crying babies. I would not allow my child to cry in the dining room, or annoy people. I cannot stand the sound of his crying, I could just imagine how other people feel.

If we have the whole family go on a cruise then we have to bring him along because there will be nobody that can babysit him during the week. It also wouldn't be a true family get-together without him.

Now, for those of you that have cruised with babies under 2, can you tell me about your experience? Was it worth it?

I am looking at a Western Caribbean cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston since most of the family is in Houston. This would include 8 adults (2 of them over 60) and a bunch of kids ranging from 5 years old - 10 (and one baby). I would not bring the baby ashore in Jamaica, but I think Grand Cayman and maybe Cozumel would be safe although I would be a little iffy about Cozumel and since I have been there so many times, I may just stay onboard with him. OR, if we do the Bahamas cruise, I think I would feel pretty safe taking him on shore to most of those places (Nassau, Freeport, and Key West).

Are there babysitting options onboard? Are infants under 2 allowed in Camp Carnival?

Thanks in advance!

It will be a different experience all together compared to cruising pre-kids! It can be a great way to travel with an infant and a very enjoyable family vacation. It really depends on your expectations. If you are planning to go and do whatever you want and lounge in the sun by the pool all day, that wont happen, at least for a few years;) . You will still have all the demands of the infant onboard that you have at home. Its nice that you will have family there to help also. That will give you somewhat of a break. Its also nice to have someone cooking and cleaning for you and have all the amenities right there.

Camp carnival does not accept "under 2's" into the actual camp programs but does offer playtime with you on sea days from 12-2pm or you can leave them for the babysitting fee of $6 per hr only during that time. They also offer babysitting every night from 10p-3am and on port days from time of arrival in port until noon or later if arrival is later. Other than that, there is no babysitting so the majority of time will be spent with you.

We loved to cruise pre-baby and started taking our DD on a cruise at 7mo then again at 12mo, 18mo, 24mo, and 27mo. Her 6th cruise will be this August at 2yr10mo! You can tell we love cruising. We just adapted to her routine. She eats at the same mealtimes and naps according to her schedule, we also kept to her bedtime schedule when she was younger. Now she can stay up late a little more so we can do more. It takes a bit more planning, remembering to pack all the items needed for her but we always have a blast!

You may have to give up a few shows, excursions or dinners in the dining room if your infant is really fussy but other than that it is a great vacation and you will have great pictures to show off one day.

Julie

Archived