Seattle Vs Vancouver Departure

RS79

My wife and I are looking at Alaska cruises, and are comparing a Seattle roundtrip versus a Vancouver to Whittier routing (both on Princess). Other than the obvious issue with flights, what are the trade-offs between the two routings? We would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

We have done both. You have already mentioned the additional airfare for a one way. That is a big factor. I would look at the ports to make a decision (or the glaciers you want to see). I think that must be considered, along with cost. IMO, leaving from Vancouver rather than Seattle is more scenic because of the inside passage. Some of the ships do a roundtrip Vancouver. We fly into Seattle and use the Amtrak to get to Vancouver rather than fly into Vancouver. I think next time we would like to do a northbound inside passage, but rather than fly back, we will do a southbound to get back (14 day cruise with maybe two or three days to sightsee around Anchorage in between). It seems like many times you can cruise back for the same price as airfare!

The great thing about the one way trip Vancouver/Whittier is the full day you spend in Glacier Bay National Park, and then the following afternoon (if you're going NB, reverse in SB) in College Fjord. If I'm not mistaken, there's not as much time spent around the glaciers if you sail return out of Seattle.

To me the huge plus in sailing from Vancouver is the fact that the ships sail a true or full Inside Passage route whereas the ships our of Seattle sail on the west side of Vancouver Island in the Pacific where there is no scenery and a much larger chance of rough seas. Out of Vancouver there is scenery almost 24/7 from the moment you sail and generally much calmer seas. At op has pointed out you can reach Vancouver via Amtrak from Seattle but there is the Quick Coach option as well.

I'd have to agree about the scenery out of Vancouver. In late April/early May, we sailed out of Vancouver and returned to Seattle (Norwegian's first Alaskan cruise of the season). It was absolutely beautiful sailing out of Vancouver, more so than Seattle.

We flew into Seattle before the cruise and rented a car to drive to Vancouver. We loved getting up there at our own pace and seeing things like scenic Chuckanut Drive, north of Seattle. Vancouver was a great city to stay in. After the cruise, we spent an extra night in Seattle and enjoyed that city, too.

I think the Norwegian Sun does round trip from Vancouver, if that helps.

Archived