Cruising a few months pregnant?

krmlaw

Im not even pregnant yet! But Im a type A and preparing. :)

We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in November. If all goes well ... ha ha ha ... I should be a few months (2 hopefully) pregnant by then. This will be my first pregnancy and I have NO idea what to expect.

We booked LOS before we planned for pregnany. I know Ill have no worries about the 24 week rule, as Im not pregnant now.

Is cruising when a few months pregnant enjoyable? Motion sickness worse? Foods I have to avoid? IM LOST!

DH and I cruised when I was in my first trimester - I guess I was around 11 weeks pregnant at that time. I wore the sea bands every day to help with the motion sickness. I didn't have morning sickness so that wasn't an issue with me. I think being pregnant on a cruise ship was no different that not being pregnant. The only thing I missed was having a few drinks in the evening. All the food choices were the best part!!! I was very hungry during the first trimester. Keep your tummy calm with always having a little bit of food in it.

The only foods you need to avoid are: pineapple and Papya (they can cause miscarriage and early labor), too much seafood (mercury exposure), too much caffeine... I think that's about it. Nothing different that if you were at home.

Good luck to you and don't worry, it will be great!

As for foods, you will want to avoid the same foods as on land; you can get a complete list somewhere, but it includes several kinds of fish, all raw fish (sushi/sashimi), luncheon meats and hotdogs, soft cheeses, etc.

I don't know if nausea is worse, others can tell you. What I CAN say is that I had severe pregnancy illness and ended up using a ReliefBand. These are also sold for motion sickness on aircraft and ships. I could not leave the couch except to run and hurl (medication did not help), but when I put this on I was able to function again. I still got sick, but it took the edge off to where I could function. If you are thinking of taking preventative measures and have any kind of motion sickness I recommend getting one of these. There are two types: one over the counter and one by prescription. I have purchased two of the over-the-counter ones for DH and DD for the current cruise.

For morning sickness ginger candies and teas are also amazing. I've heard these also help with motion sickness.

Hopefully others with more experience can give you more advice!

Good luck and have fun. Most people don't get as sick as I did (puked until 7.5 months and then switched to indigestion), but no matter what, the end result is worth it!!!

CJ

We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in November. If all goes well ... ha ha ha ... I should be a few months (2 hopefully) pregnant by then. This will be my first pregnancy and I have NO idea what to expect.

We booked LOS before we planned for pregnany. I know Ill have no worries about the 24 week rule, as Im not pregnant now.

Is cruising when a few months pregnant enjoyable? Motion sickness worse? Foods I have to avoid? IM LOST!

Well maybe two months is not so bad, but I think there will be another problems.

We had a miscarriage, booked a cruise in Jan., got pregnant again quickly so I was about 11 weeks on our cruise in March of 2007. It was great. I had had some morning sickness from about week 6 to week 10 but as soon as I got on the crusie and relaxed, everything was great. I had no issues with feeling sick at all. It was a great vacation!

You will probably be fine, but you never know how pregnancy will affect you. My daughter had "morning" sickness all day, every day for the first 4-5 months of both her pregnancies, to the point of nearly needing hospitalization during the first. With the second she started listing "good at puking while driving" as one of her talents, since she had to drive child #1 around. I wouldn't say that's the norm, but it was for her. She certainly wouldn't have enjoyed cruising either time. With the second one, she also developed gestational diabetes, and having to follow the diet while on a cruise would have been emotionally devastating (though easier than having to cook it all herself, admittedly).

Thanks for all the responses ... Im hoping Ill be okay. We arent going to cancel, so hopefully I wont be too sick. Im bummed I wont be able to use the flow rider, but that just gives us another reason to cruise later on!

I cruised when I was about 14 weeks pregnant, and it was the first time during my pregnancy when I did NOT feel nauseous. I put sea-bands on before my flight and wore them until I returned home. They worked out great for me, well worth the tan lines they caused :p .

My only recommendations would be to maybe take it a little easier than you other wise would as you can feel pretty tired during your first trimester. A cruise is a perfect place to be able to take a break in your day and slip in a little nap if that's what your body needs. I would also bring a wide-brimmed hat and have plenty of water on hand as I found during my pregnancy that I did not handle the heat and sun as well as I usually did.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Definitely being able to relax and sleep whenever you want will be a big help. Also having food available any time will be helpful. (never having an empty stomach helps prevent morning sickness - this shouldn't be a problem on a cruise!:p )

Didn't mean to scare you with my daughter's tales of woe. She was working during the 1st and caring for DD the second, so it was go, go, go. I'm sure, if she could have had total down time, she would have felt considerably better.

The nap, eat, nap schedule that's so easy to fall into on a cruise would be wonderful in the late first/early second trimester. Small meals and lots of rest are great, and easy to get on a cruise.

As far as morning sickness, every woman and every pregnancy is different. No way to predict. With two of mine, I was pretty sick from 8-12 weeks. With the other two, I was VERY (like in the hospital with IV) sick from 3 weeks (before I knew for sure) until about 20 weeks. One of those pregnancies, I cruised at 23 weeks in rough seas, but was fine and didn't get seasick on the day that most people did. After having been so sick for so long, it was weird being the one who wasn't.

If you are dealing with any type of morning (all day) sickness your OB can prescribe you medication to take that will alleviate the nausea. It worked for me.

My morning sickness set in at week 6 and stayed with me till week 14. If there is any chance you are going to be in that window while cruising I highly urge you to bring some of that medication just in case!

There wont be anything more worse than being on a cruise ship and not being able to eat or enjoy yourself because you feel ill.

As far as food to avoid - anything uncooked or raw. Caviar, pate. Brie and other un coooked soft cheeses. Eggs that are not (at least) over easy. Cesar salad dressing (because of the potential for raw eggs in the recipie) And stick to splenda over Equal.

I found out I was pregnant for the first time on vacation, haha. It was a few days we boarded the ship. I didn't have much of an appetite and I was super tired. I never had morning sickness though. I was still able to enjoy our Mediterranean cruise and all of the wonderful excursions.

I cruised at 16 weeks pregnant with DD and had no problems at all. I wore the sea bands and had the prescription for nausea just in case but never needed it. I had a good pregnancy. I am currently pregnant with #2 and its been completely different this time around. From week 6-14, I have been terribly ill and even the meidcations are not helping as much as they should. I would have been miserable cruising then. We are cruising next month when I am 23 weeks and luckily I am feeling much better. Get travel insurance just in case! We had to cancel a cruise once when I had a miscarriage 2 days before we were to set sail, the OB forbade me from going in case of hemmorage. You just never know.

Julie

Thanks for all the comments ... DH and I decided to wait a few months, hoping to begin a miracle on the ship! (But not on the balcony!!!)

I know I would be too stressed to cruise if I was pregnant. But, if we are blessed a bit early, they we'll make do! Thanks all for your thoughts :)

Archived