Independance OTS - A few questions please?

Hello,

New here and new to cruising so would appriciate if you could answer some questions please:

- I have read you cannot take irons, i understand why, but are irons / trouser presses available on-board?

- Are there hair dryers in the cabins? (D2)

- On the formal nights i am happy to wear a nice suit and tie, but would really prefer not to wear a long sleaved shirt (a smart short sleaved shirt would be my choice). Would this be an issue?

- On the semi formal nights is it really essential to wear a jacket and tie?

- What is the dress code for chops grill and Portafino resteraunts?

- If i sign up for an onboard account with my credit card, does each payment come off my credit card separatly, or do i pay the whole lot at the end in one transaction?

- How good is the air conditioning around the ship, my experience of aircon is very cold in some places and too warm in others.

- We booked a couple of years ago and requested a table for 2 only in the restraunt (explaining it was our honeymoon) are we likely to get this?

Thanks

Welcome to cruising!

I will try to answer your questions.

I have read you cannot take irons, i understand why, but are irons / trouser presses available on-board? No - but laundry and pressing services are available for a fee.

- Are there hair dryers in the cabins? (D2) Yes, they are in a top drawer in the dresser.

- On the formal nights i am happy to wear a nice suit and tie, but would really prefer not to wear a long sleaved shirt (a smart short sleaved shirt would be my choice). Would this be an issue? Don't think it would be a problem.

- On the semi formal nights is it really essential to wear a jacket and tie? No, nice pair of slacks and shirt are OK

- What is the dress code for chops grill and Portafino resteraunts? No dress code, just dress like you are going to a nice restaurant.

- If i sign up for an onboard account with my credit card, does each payment come off my credit card separatly, or do i pay the whole lot at the end in one transaction? They bill it all together at the end of the cruise.

- How good is the air conditioning around the ship, my experience of aircon is very cold in some places and too warm in others. Cooler in places where there are no outside doors.

- We booked a couple of years ago and requested a table for 2 only in the restraunt (explaining it was our honeymoon) are we likely to get this? Probably. When you board, just go to the Maitre 'd and reconfirm your preference.

- I have read you cannot take irons, i understand why, but are irons / trouser presses available on-board?

No, they are not available, but there is a "pressing service" available (from the laundry service). This is not free though.

- Are there hair dryers in the cabins? (D2)

Yes

- On the formal nights i am happy to wear a nice suit and tie, but would really prefer not to wear a long sleaved shirt (a smart short sleaved shirt would be my choice). Would this be an issue?

I don't think it is an issue. It is a matter of personal taste/style, but not an issue.

- On the semi formal nights is it really essential to wear a jacket and tie?

No - infact most people don't wear a jacket or tie.

- What is the dress code for chops grill and Portafino resteraunts?

"Smart Casual" ever night (even "formal" nights). Smart casual is long troussers and preferably a collared shirt (could be short sleeved). Think chinos and polo shirt.

- If i sign up for an onboard account with my credit card, does each payment come off my credit card separatly, or do i pay the whole lot at the end in one transaction?

One transaction at the end of the cruise.

- How good is the air conditioning around the ship, my experience of aircon is very cold in some places and too warm in others.

I haven't had an issue with the air-conditioning on any RCCL ships (has always been just right for me). Although I do come from a country where aircon is not the norm (UK). But to me, I think that I would most likely notice if the aircon was too fierce - and I haven't experienced that.

- We booked a couple of years ago and requested a table for 2 only in the restraunt (explaining it was our honeymoon) are we likely to get this?

Hard to say. When you get your seapass card, your dining room and table assignment will be printed on it. Make it one of your TOP priorities to visit your dining room and check out your table when you first board. If it is not your desired table for two, then join the queue for table change requests: be really nice and understanding, but say that it is your honeymoon and it would mean an awful lot to you to have a nice, romatic table for two.

Since your priority is "table for two", then you may have to sacrifice any other dining aspirations that you have... i.e. if you get a table for 2, then you are really lucky: don't be too disappointed if it is in a busy thorough-fare (and not by the window or on the edge of the balcony).

We have had two cruises on RCCL by ourselves and both times requested a table for two and got it (once we changed from an initial assignment of a larger table with help from the Maitre'D). The other two times that we have sailed RCCL, we have been in a big family group and been on a table of 10 together.

You cannot be gauranteed a table for two, but they will really try to accomodate you. When are you going? Have you considered "My Time" dining? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=open_seating&topic=email&subTopic=openseat&requestor=arn . That might answer your prayers...

Thanks

You are very welcome :)

Boo

Archived