Some Newbie Questions

mj

We are looking to sail our first NCL cruise next year to Alaska on the Pearl that sails out of Seattle. I have a few questions.

1. What is the dress code onboard NCL?

Is it business casual for dinner or are there formal nights? Since airlines are charging for two bags, we were hoping that it would be business casual to cut down on packing.

2. How far is the cruiseport from the Seattle airport?

3. What time do you all schedule flights out on disembarkation day? The airline we are looking at has one at 11:15am or a 11:00 pm flight.

4. Does NCL have a self-assist on disembarkation day?

Thanks

1. Business casual is nice for dinner. the formal night is considered the second day at sea. but it is not even announced as a formal night on NCL anymore.

2. It is about a 20 minute ride from the airport to the terminal. A cab or shuttle will take you there. About $30.

3. Depending on the airline, Seattle can be a mess. There are only 2 security areas where all passengers must go thru for the airport. We have waited as long as 60 plus minutes just to go thru there. If you carry off your luggage, and believe me there are a lot of those that do now days. It will be a close one. One gaurantee is to rent a limo service, $50. The shuttles in Sewattle are not always on time.

4. Self assist is push and shove. Not really but 25% are now using it.:)

1. Resort casual is acceptable for all nights on all NCL ships. They do have "Dress Up or Not" night, but it's completely optional.

2. Don't know. Never been to Seattle

3. I would definitely not recommend getting an 11:15 a.m. flight. Go for the later flight and then if you get to the airport early enough, fly stand-by for the earlier one. Or, do a post-cruise tour around Seattle. If the ship is late getting into port for any reason, you'll likely miss your flight.

4. Yes, NCL has self-disembarkation, but I've heard that can be pretty nuts if a lot of people use it.

1. as said...resort casual is fine every night. but if you want to dress up, there is a couple of "dress up or not" nights. monday and friday, if i remember correctly. photos ops will be available.

2. it's 20 mins to 30 mins..unless you get a traffic jam. very easy, taxi are out of far end of baggage claim. NCL people will be around baggage claim, if you decide to do the shuttle. taxi were about $35, but with gas prices..i don't know how much they are this year.

3. they are right, i have family around seattle...the airport can get really jammed up. go over to the alaska boards to hear more stories about catching the flights on the last day. save yourself a headache and get your flight after noon.

4. the biggest line on embarkation day..everyone who decided to take their own luggage. yes, they offer it..you are suppose to sign up for it (on the ship).

my cruise, we were late getting clearance...didn't start letting people off until about 8:30. remember you have to check in (for flight) 2 hours before and the lines, getting to that counter can be an hour long (on bad days)

1. What is the dress code onboard NCL?

Resort casual is acceptable in all dining venues on ALL nights. There will be one "Dress up or Not" Night. (yes, that is the name of the optional formal night.) Only about 50% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from a very few tuxes down to shirt/tie. The other 50% will be in resort casual. Jeans are allowed in all dining rooms on all nights with the exception of one of the two main restuarants.

Resort Casual simply means a polo shirt, kahki pants and sneakers. Shorts, t-shirts and tank tops are about the only things not permitted.

It is a great dress code for the new travel restrictions.

2. How far is the cruiseport from the Seattle airport?

About 20-30 minutes. SeaTac Airport is a mess. Traffic on the mornings that the Pearl (and two other ships) disembark leads to long traffic tie ups around the airport and long lines inside. The Security check point alone took us 30-45 minutes to get through.

3. What time do you all schedule flights out on disembarkation day? The airline we are looking at has one at 11:15am or a 11:00 pm flight.

We did the Star in 2005 (same itinerary as the Pearl does now) and my parents did the Pearl last year. In 2005, we had 1:30 p.m. flight times.... we walked up to the gate at about 12:45 after getting off the ship about 9:00 a.m.. (Last year wasn't an issue, my parents flight was not until late afternoon.)

With the mess at SeaTac (Seattle Tacoma International Airport) and the number of ships disembarking on those mornings, scheduling any flight before noon is risky.

Normally the Pearl begins disembarkation around 8:15-8:30, but that can sometimes be held up by US Customs officials. (as it has in the past.)

4. Does NCL have a self-assist on disembarkation day?

Thanks

Yes, it is called "Express Disembarkation." You have to carry all of your own luggage off with no help and no carts. It has become very popular and many do it and that has led to long lines and elevator waits to get off.

Self disembarkation generally begins about 8:15 a.m..

Self _Disembarkation:

If you are going to do it, pack lightly because you really do have to get it all off by yourself. Also DON"' RUSH OFF THE SHIP with everyone else as soon as it is cleared. Take your time and be among the last to leave. We have done this - no long line-ups and no crowded halls.

Hi MJ

We are also newbies and will be on the Pearl Sept 14, which one are you on?

We are flying in a day early and out a day later to avoid and problems with cutting it too short plus we have never been to Seattle and wanted to spend sometime there.

Hi MJ

We are also newbies and will be on the Pearl Sept 14, which one are you on?

We are flying in a day early and out a day later to avoid and problems with cutting it too short plus we have never been to Seattle and wanted to spend sometime there.

We have not booked yet. We were looking to go sometime in May 09. Thanks to everybody for the information. It sounds like it is better to book a later flight in Seattle as it can be chaotic.

Guest carlogesualdo
We have not booked yet. We were looking to go sometime in May 09. Thanks to everybody for the information. It sounds like it is better to book a later flight in Seattle as it can be chaotic.

This, you should do anyway. Seattle is beautiful. A later flight might afford you a little time to just look around. I can't wait to go back there sometime.

Archived