NCL and waterplay for the diaper-bound?

newbie2008

Researching for our first cruise and can honestly say that I am completely overwhelmed. Children will be 8 and 1 1/2 at the time of the cruise. Not worried about my 8-year-old being entertained.

Husband doesn't want to eat at a table with others. I understand NCL and Princess will avoid that - but I think I read that Princess has formal dining at least some of the time, which we definitely do not want.

So I'm leaning towards NCL, but I'm concerned about the baby's ability to play in water. I understand that he will not be allowed in pools in a diaper, and I have no problem with that -- but do any of the NCL ships have a splash zone like RCCL and Disney? I'll get and a bring a small pool, but I'm concerned that he won't be satisfied with that. It's been a long time since I've had a little one.

So I'm leaning towards NCL, but I'm concerned about the baby's ability to play in water. I understand that he will not be allowed in pools in a diaper, and I have no problem with that -- but do any of the NCL ships have a splash zone like RCCL and Disney? I'll get and a bring a small pool, but I'm concerned that he won't be satisfied with that. It's been a long time since I've had a little one.

I was on the Spirit in May and they have a kids pool in the back. they have a regular pool that kids can slide into and a jacuzzi. Then they have this little splash pool that is for little ones. I know that you are not not supposed to go into any of the pools with "swim diapers", but there were babies in them in the pools. When I was around I didin't see any employees kicking them out.

In my experience (1 cruise :wink: ), NCL has a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude about swim diapers.

They have the signs saying don't do it, but it was not enforced - not even a little.

It probably helped that the Dawn has a completely separate area for children and within that area there were multiple pools - one of which was clearly geared for toddlers. The diapered kids happily stuck to that one little pool, so since all the children/parents were in the same situation - there was no complaining and a bunch of happy children.

** Please note I am neither condoning nor condemning this behavior - just stating what I observed.

** Please note I am neither condoning nor condemning this behavior - just stating what I observed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I love the disclaimer. :D

It is pretty widely noted around here about NCL's don't ask don't tell policy. We were on NCL wayyyy before I started coming here and I noticed lots of diapered tots in the pools. That was back in 2002.

But I wouldn't plan a cruise if I couldn't guarantee 100% that the toddler could use the pool. You don't want to get tossed out. :(

Thanks for the response. On another topic, I see that you're cruising in February and have done so in the past. How is the weather for swimming that time of year?

In the Carribean it's generally the same temp all year round. The only place we have been that is affected slighly by cooler temps are the Bahamas. And even that is hit or miss.

Where does the Spirit sail out of? When we do Winter cruises we make sure to leave from Florida.

Where does the Spirit sail out of? When we do Winter cruises we make sure to leave from Florida.

Hadn't picked a place of departure or destination. Was trying to find a ship that would make everyone happy and then back into it. Based on what I'm learning, I think I'm back at the Disney cruises -- which is where I started.

Hadn't picked a place of departure or destination. Was trying to find a ship that would make everyone happy and then back into it. Based on what I'm learning, I think I'm back at the Disney cruises -- which is where I started.

Well Disney would have Flounders Nursery to watch the toddler if you want some free time (fees apply) and RCCL has in cabin sitting for the nighttime.

RCCL now has "My Time Dining" option on their Freedom class ships (Freedom/Liberty/Independence) which also has the Baby Splash Zones.

RCCL now has "My Time Dining" option on their Freedom class ships (Freedom/Liberty/Independence) which also has the Baby Splash Zones.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized that.

Are you still eating with others if you use the "My Time Dining" option?

What about Disney? I ready something that lead me to believe you would be eating with others, but the brochure pictures show fairly small tables.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't realized that.

Are you still eating with others if you use the "My Time Dining" option?

What about Disney? I ready something that lead me to believe you would be eating with others, but the brochure pictures show fairly small tables.

Found the info on My Time Dining...you do not need to sit with others...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=open_seating&topic=email&subTopic=openseat&requestor=arn

con_bulletgray_ico.gifYou will be seated with the party you arrive with; you can request to be seated with other guests or alone

And I was wrong about the ships, there are more ships but they are certain dates...I bet they will expand it into 2009

Available on the following ships and dates:

Brilliance of the Seas

February 22 - December 21, 2008

Freedom of the Seas

October 15, 2007 - December 28, 2008

Serenade of the Seas

March 8 - December 27, 2008

Jewel of the Seas

June 16, 2008 - December 29, 2008

Radiance of the Seas

June 20, 2008 - December 20, 2008

Independence of the Seas

July 26, 2008 - December 27, 2008

On Disney we were seated with our friends so I can't remember if they had smaller tables. I thought all of the tables were generally the same size...which would mean that some people did sit with strangers.

Researching for our first cruise and can honestly say that I am completely overwhelmed. Children will be 8 and 1 1/2 at the time of the cruise. Not worried about my 8-year-old being entertained.

Husband doesn't want to eat at a table with others. I understand NCL and Princess will avoid that - but I think I read that Princess has formal dining at least some of the time, which we definitely do not want.

Honestly, you don't sound like good candidates for a cruise. Even with my-time dining, you're going to end up eating at tables with other people at least part of the time, and kids in diapers should not expect to have access to the pool -- which would be one thing if you could just entertain the baby elsewhere, but since your 8-year old will want to swim, you're in a tough position. The small pool thing isn't really workable, at least not without being in other people's way.

I'd wait another year 'til the baby'll be potty trained, then you'll have no concerns -- but you'll still end up eating with other people sometimes.

Thanks for the response. On another topic, I see that you're cruising in February and have done so in the past. How is the weather for swimming that time of year?

Weather is just hit or miss. We sailed at New Years this year and there happened to be a cold front at the time. Although grand cayman was warm, the beaches were still very cold to swim in so we just played in the sand. There was only one sea day it was warm enough to swim the rest were cold and windy. It just really depends on the weather then. I am from Fl so I am used to warm weather but January and February are the coldest months. It varies from 80 to below 40. The carribean is generally warm 70-80 but can be affected by cold fronts as we found out.

Honestly, you don't sound like good candidates for a cruise. Even with my-time dining, you're going to end up eating at tables with other people at least part of the time, and kids in diapers should not expect to have access to the pool -- which would be one thing if you could just entertain the baby elsewhere, but since your 8-year old will want to swim, you're in a tough position. The small pool thing isn't really workable, at least not without being in other people's way.

I'd wait another year 'til the baby'll be potty trained, then you'll have no concerns -- but you'll still end up eating with other people sometimes.

I have never had to eat with anyone. And the My Time Dining on RCCL says "You eat with who you want to eat with". And if you ate in the Windjammer (on RCCL) for breakfast/lunch...you wouldn't sit with anyone else during those times either.

And on RCCL or Disney there would be an infant splash area. You can't be in "other people's way" if the pool is already there for the infants.

So I would say it is workable. ;)

I just got off the Adventure of the Seas in May and we never had to eat with anyone either. My friend and I just aren't terribly social and didn't want to eat with anyone so we requested a table for two in the main dining room for dinner and got it and beyond that just always sat by ourselves at breakfast and lunch. Not eating with others isn't hard to do at all.

I have never had to eat with strangers either. On our last cruise we had a large table (since we were a large family seated together) -- but even when we ate at the Windjammer we sat by ourselves...

Quite frankly, having babies with us pretty much guarantees that NO ONE will try to sit with you. LOL.

Frankly, a cruise is a PERFECT vacation with small children.

I agree with CruisinMama -- the Freedom Class on RCL would probably work out wonderfully considering your concerns.

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. I called RCCL and was told that it was "pretty much guaranteed" that they would be doing My Time Dining in 2009 but that specific ships and dates weren't yet available. Leaning towards RCCL and away from Disney at this point.

Archived