Icy Strait Point?

loti

Hi all,

Going on the SOS in late Aug. We have a port stop in Icy Strait Point, What is there to do there? We have never been and plan to do whale watching out of Juneau.

Any recommendations will be helpful. Any good restuarants for lunch?

Thanks in Advance.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Just wanted to ask if you've gone to You Tube to check out video's of the Zipline in ISP? My husband and son have done the zipline thing several times in Mexico and Kauai. After watching the clip on the internet, I immediately signed them up for the excursion!

Check it out,

Bobbi

Hi Brian,

Just wanted to ask if you've gone to You Tube to check out video's of the Zipline in ISP? My husband and son have done the zipline thing several times in Mexico and Kauai. After watching the clip on the internet, I immediately signed them up for the excursion!

Check it out,

Bobbi

Don't forget to hold onto your hat when you are on the ISP Zipline. I actually video taped my son's hat flying off is head. I think the Zipline goes about 60mph. We had so much fun on this Zipline. Somewhere in ISP there is a bear wearing my son's favorite Zoo York hat. :D

Re: Office Bar

They have delicious crab cakes too; pizza, burgers, philly steak sandwhiches and other frozen items. Contrary to MercedMike's opinion, the philly sandwhiches are pretty good for a frozen product. But hey, this is a bar first.

Beer.......woohoo. Alaska's best waiting for your arrival.

What kind of Alaskan port is this? There isn't even a Diamonds International there!

Just kidding. I would echo the recommendation that others have made to go whale watching there. We were in Alaska in early July and did whale watching tours in both Juneau (with Orca Enterprises) and in Icy Strait. We saw a couple of whales in Juneau and it was great, but we saw lots and lots of whales in Icy Strait. When the whales went under water, we didn't have to sit and wait for them to come back up, we just moved on to other whales. They were everywhere!

We did whale watch with FISHES. It was awesome. We saw lots of whales. We also got to hear the whales through an underwater mike. We also saw some bears along the way.

Our husbands did halibut fishing with Dream Fish. They caught the max including one that was approx 50 lbs. they had a great time and would definitely do it again.

We all hooked up and went to The Office for a crab lunch. Excellent.

I know some people don't like Hoonah, but I looked at it as Alaska's answer to the private island with some great LOCAL benefits. It was great to walk along and see the streets, homes and "town".

Hi - we went whale watching in Juneau with Dolphin tours and saw pods of Humpback whales bubble netting! There were about 14 of them feeding simultaneously and lots of boats watching - it was fantastic! In ISP my 13 year old neice and I went Halibut fishing with Tim of the Port Frederick Lodge and it was great! There were 5 of us and we caught our limit of Halibut and had a great time! We saw a few humpbacks that day as well as eagles - I highly recommend Tim - I never touched the bait or the fish but had a wonderful time pulling in those 20+ pounders and we will have even more fun when our 30+ pounds of Halibut arrive home and we get to eat it hear!

Alaska was great! Have a great time.

Laura

Archived