Summit Review June 28 sailing (long)

bermudabob

We had the most marvelous time on the Summit and we want to thank all the previous posters that helped us make informed decisions about our cruise. In return we offer the following review.

There were four of us travelling; my wife and I, and our daughter and her close friend (both are 20 years old). DW and I have sailed RCCL about 15 years ago and Disney 7 years ago. This was our first Celebrity cruise and our first time to this part of the Med.

The ship was in great shape and what little wear and tear we saw in no way affected our cruise.

The staff were exceptional. Everyone was genuinely friendly and attentive.

Our cabin attendants were superb. They picked up on our likes very quickly and everyday thereafter there was fruit, cheese plates etc. waiting for us after a long day touring.

Our cabin was kept spotless and it was cleaned several times a day. Used bath towels seemed to be replaced within minutes of showering; we even joked that the attendants hid under the bed waiting for the opportunity to replace them!

What can we say about the food.....outstanding! Our daughter is a fussy eater (vegetarian, at best) and she was catered to at every meal and restaurant. We ate at the second sitting (8:45) which we found offered us plenty of time after touring to relax (nap) and freshen up. The service in the main restaurant (Cosmopolitan) was very good; our waiter took great pride in explaining each nights menu selections and seeing to our needs. Our daughter loves Shrimp Cocktail and every night an order was presented to her before we even ordered!

We ate in the specialty restaurant (Normandy) on two occasions and we were not disappointed. My wife and I enjoyed the wine pairings on offer; 5 different glasses to match the courses. There is a $30 fee per person to dine there and an aditional $30 per person for the wine pairings.

I had read so much about the Goat Cheese Souffle and for good reason; it was delicious (both times).

Breakfasts were mostly at the Waterfall Cafe buffet. We did try the main dining room once but found it a bit too formal so we enjoyed the casual atmosphere of the Waterfall. Ah, those waffles; we had also heard much made of the waffles and we must admit they were worth the time in the queue.

We decided to take private tours for the most part and that is the only way to go. The 8 seater vans that they use get you closer to the sights than the large tour busses and you can tailor your tour as you like. The private tours are also a lot cheaper per person than the ships tours. We did Villefranche, Santorini, Dubrovnik and Venice on our own and private tours in Livorno, Civatavecchia, Naples and Athens.

In Villefranche we took a train to Nice where we walked along the promenade and then a train to Monte Carlo where we walked along the pier admiring how the other half live before taking the train back to Villefranche.

Paolo from Unforgettable Tuscany met us early in Livorno for our tour of Pisa and Florence. Paolo was fantastic. He was so passionate about Tuscany and all it offers. He took us to a wonderful trattoria for a sumptuous feast of local cuisine. We recommend him highly.

For Rome we used Alberto Rossi from Rome Holidays. The driver he sent was adequate but we were so spoiled with Paolo from the previous day.

In Naples we used Mariano from Pleasant Travel and they were very good as well. We started at Pompeii early to avoid the crowds and the heat of mid day. Even then it was close to 100 degrees. We then drove the Amalfi coast and had lunch at a marvelous family run restaurant. We had their specialty; Sea Bream baked in salt and it was fantastic.

Santorini was my favorite port. When you alight from the tender you have 3 options to get up to Fira: walk (not recommended), cable car (recommended) or the dreaded donkey ride that our daughter insisted on. The donkey in front of me obviously was suffering from a gastro problem and enjoyed displaying his symptoms all the way up the winding path! The cost was 5 Euro to ride up and 4 Euro to cable down and $63 to get the donkey smell out of my clothes!

We rented a car in Fira and drove all around the island. The village of Oia is a gem and not to be missed. If you can get there early like we did you will have the place to yourself. Once the bus loads arrive you can hardly move on the narrow lanes. We did stop at a few beaches (Black beach & Red beach) but we were not impressed. We are form Bermuda and we are spoiled. The sand was hard, gritty and hot.

Our driver Frank in Athens was the nephew of the owner Paul from Athens taxi and he was very informative. It was blistering hot that day and in the end we called the tour short and headed back to the ship. We wandered the Plaka for a while after the Acropolis etc. but found the stores all selling the same touristy items.

Venice was a blast. The ride into port offers some outstanding views of the city and St. Marks square. Sadly the square was being set up for an Elton John concert that night so it was cluttered with staging and chairs; even the pidgeons had moved on!

We walked from the ship to St. Marks via the Rialto Bridge. It took us about an hour with lots of window shopping, getting lost and Gelato stops!

The last day of the cruise we checked our bags into a storage place located in the terminal where you claim your bags for 3 Euro per bag. Our flight to London didn't depart until 5:00 pm and we had to be off the ship by 9:30 am.

A word of warning. The girls wanted to shop so I found an outside cafe in St. Marks where they would meet me later. I had purchased an English newspaper and took a seat outside and ordered a soft drink and a bottle of water. A short while later an orchestra in front of the restaurant started to play. They were marvelous and made for a relaxing hour. When I got the bill there was a 6 Euro charge for listening to the orchestra! Apparently it is noted on their menu but I never saw one as I only wanted a soft drink.

The dress code on board was for the most part abided by. We never saw anyone stopped though there were a few shorts and t-shirts allowed in the main dining room.

We didn't think the entertainment was that good. The pool side band that also played in the Revelations someevenings were just plain awful. They have two lead singers; the girl was quite good but her male partner was quite amateurish and flat.

Our two 20 year olds were very disappointed with the evening activities. They did meet some 17 - 18 year olds and then the next group up were honeymooners!

We so enjoyed ourselves that we signed up for an Alaska cruise next summer on the Summit's sister ship, the Millenium!

As I said earlier, we are very greatful for all the advice offered by those who went before us. There are some excellent tips to be gained by reading these boards and we hope that our comments will be of some help to others planning a Med cruise.

The Summit was fantastic!

Thanks for a very balanced review of your cruise. It was refreshing to read that although some things were not perfect, you never whined about them. It's all in the attitude, and you have a good one.

I'm going to save your post because you offered some wonderful tips of your own.

Thank you for such an informative review! I am going on the same cruise in Sep! If you can remember any info about the storage lockers in Venice, such as cost per suitcase, hours, location in terminal,etc. I would greatly appreciate it! Our flight leaves very early the next day and am looking at hotel options near the airport, but would need a place to store our luggage the day before once we get off the cruise ship. Thanks!

There are two options near the port.

When disembarking at Venice you will walk off into the terminal where you will claim your bags that you left outside your cabin the night before. When you leave the baggage hall, before you exit the terminal, on your right, there is a luggage storage section. The cost was 3 Euro per bag. I'm not sure of their hours as we only used them for half a day.

The other option is to take a cab after exiting the terminal to the Piazzale Roma. It's only a 4 minute drive but impossible to walk with luggage. We walked it to start our tour and there are too many ramps. sidewalks and roundabouts to negotiate. They have a luggage storage for 4 Euro per bag and they are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Hope this is of some help.

We had the most marvelous time on the Summit and we want to thank all the previous posters that helped us make informed decisions about our cruise. In return we offer the following review.

There were four of us travelling; my wife and I, and our daughter and her close friend (both are 20 years old). DW and I have sailed RCCL about 15 years ago and Disney 7 years ago. This was our first Celebrity cruise and our first time to this part of the Med.

The ship was in great shape and what little wear and tear we saw in no way affected our cruise.

The staff were exceptional. Everyone was genuinely friendly and attentive.

Our cabin attendants were superb. They picked up on our likes very quickly and everyday thereafter there was fruit, cheese plates etc. waiting for us after a long day touring.

Our cabin was kept spotless and it was cleaned several times a day. Used bath towels seemed to be replaced within minutes of showering; we even joked that the attendants hid under the bed waiting for the opportunity to replace them!

What can we say about the food.....outstanding! Our daughter is a fussy eater (vegetarian, at best) and she was catered to at every meal and restaurant. We ate at the second sitting (8:45) which we found offered us plenty of time after touring to relax (nap) and freshen up. The service in the main restaurant (Cosmopolitan) was very good; our waiter took great pride in explaining each nights menu selections and seeing to our needs. Our daughter loves Shrimp Cocktail and every night an order was presented to her before we even ordered!

We ate in the specialty restaurant (Normandy) on two occasions and we were not disappointed. My wife and I enjoyed the wine pairings on offer; 5 different glasses to match the courses. There is a $30 fee per person to dine there and an aditional $30 per person for the wine pairings.

I had read so much about the Goat Cheese Souffle and for good reason; it was delicious (both times).

Breakfasts were mostly at the Waterfall Cafe buffet. We did try the main dining room once but found it a bit too formal so we enjoyed the casual atmosphere of the Waterfall. Ah, those waffles; we had also heard much made of the waffles and we must admit they were worth the time in the queue.

We decided to take private tours for the most part and that is the only way to go. The 8 seater vans that they use get you closer to the sights than the large tour busses and you can tailor your tour as you like. The private tours are also a lot cheaper per person than the ships tours. We did Villefranche, Santorini, Dubrovnik and Venice on our own and private tours in Livorno, Civatavecchia, Naples and Athens.

In Villefranche we took a train to Nice where we walked along the promenade and then a train to Monte Carlo where we walked along the pier admiring how the other half live before taking the train back to Villefranche.

Paolo from Unforgettable Tuscany met us early in Livorno for our tour of Pisa and Florence. Paolo was fantastic. He was so passionate about Tuscany and all it offers. He took us to a wonderful trattoria for a sumptuous feast of local cuisine. We recommend him highly.

For Rome we used Alberto Rossi from Rome Holidays. The driver he sent was adequate but we were so spoiled with Paolo from the previous day.

In Naples we used Mariano from Pleasant Travel and they were very good as well. We started at Pompeii early to avoid the crowds and the heat of mid day. Even then it was close to 100 degrees. We then drove the Amalfi coast and had lunch at a marvelous family run restaurant. We had their specialty; Sea Bream baked in salt and it was fantastic.

Santorini was my favorite port. When you alight from the tender you have 3 options to get up to Fira: walk (not recommended), cable car (recommended) or the dreaded donkey ride that our daughter insisted on. The donkey in front of me obviously was suffering from a gastro problem and enjoyed displaying his symptoms all the way up the winding path! The cost was 5 Euro to ride up and 4 Euro to cable down and $63 to get the donkey smell out of my clothes!

We rented a car in Fira and drove all around the island. The village of Oia is a gem and not to be missed. If you can get there early like we did you will have the place to yourself. Once the bus loads arrive you can hardly move on the narrow lanes. We did stop at a few beaches (Black beach & Red beach) but we were not impressed. We are form Bermuda and we are spoiled. The sand was hard, gritty and hot.

Our driver Frank in Athens was the nephew of the owner Paul from Athens taxi and he was very informative. It was blistering hot that day and in the end we called the tour short and headed back to the ship. We wandered the Plaka for a while after the Acropolis etc. but found the stores all selling the same touristy items.

Venice was a blast. The ride into port offers some outstanding views of the city and St. Marks square. Sadly the square was being set up for an Elton John concert that night so it was cluttered with staging and chairs; even the pidgeons had moved on!

We walked from the ship to St. Marks via the Rialto Bridge. It took us about an hour with lots of window shopping, getting lost and Gelato stops!

The last day of the cruise we checked our bags into a storage place located in the terminal where you claim your bags for 3 Euro per bag. Our flight to London didn't depart until 5:00 pm and we had to be off the ship by 9:30 am.

A word of warning. The girls wanted to shop so I found an outside cafe in St. Marks where they would meet me later. I had purchased an English newspaper and took a seat outside and ordered a soft drink and a bottle of water. A short while later an orchestra in front of the restaurant started to play. They were marvelous and made for a relaxing hour. When I got the bill there was a 6 Euro charge for listening to the orchestra! Apparently it is noted on their menu but I never saw one as I only wanted a soft drink.

The dress code on board was for the most part abided by. We never saw anyone stopped though there were a few shorts and t-shirts allowed in the main dining room.

We didn't think the entertainment was that good. The pool side band that also played in the Revelations someevenings were just plain awful. They have two lead singers; the girl was quite good but her male partner was quite amateurish and flat.

Our two 20 year olds were very disappointed with the evening activities. They did meet some 17 - 18 year olds and then the next group up were honeymooners!

We so enjoyed ourselves that we signed up for an Alaska cruise next summer on the Summit's sister ship, the Millenium!

As I said earlier, we are very greatful for all the advice offered by those who went before us. There are some excellent tips to be gained by reading these boards and we hope that our comments will be of some help to others planning a Med cruise.

The Summit was fantastic!

You mentioned there were honeymooners, we are going to be newlyweds as of this weekend and are taking this cruise on July 22nd. Were there many cruises in the 25-35 year old bracket? (we are both 29 y/o)

I'm sure the demographics change with each cruise but by and large our fellow passengers were over 40.

I wouldn't sweat that detail though. This is a port intensive itinerary and you should take advantage of touring some incredible sights which will fill your port days. After the heat and the touring, and you tuck into the incredible food on offer, you'll be happy with an early turn in to recoup for the next days outing.

I'm sure you will have a blast!

Bubbie617,

Many thanks for your kind words.

Yes, the cruise was not perfect but it was near enough for us.

It would appear that there was a convention of "chair hogs" on our cruise; during my daily 6:30 am stroll I observed them scurrying around deck 10 and 11 depositing their towels, sandals, books etc. and then retreat to their cabins for some much needed rest. We managed to root out a few spare ones and enjoyed the solitude until they reclaimed theirs around noon!

It was no big deal for us but it was amusing to see the frenetic race in the post dawn daylight to capture the "prized" location of chairs!

BermudaBob - Thanks for your information on the luggage storage in Venice, this is just what we are looking for. Just a question if you don't mind though, leaving your luggage at the Piazzali Roma - were you within walking distance to the sights you wished to see? How did you get to the airport after picking up your stored luggage? Our flight to London doesn't leave until 7.30 and hope to do some exploring before then. I know on previous cruises the ship has had a service(you pay of course!),where they deliver your luggage to the airport for you - any idea if this was available from the Summit?

Sorry, I was just going to ask on question! Our trip is November 1st.

Thanks, Linda

Wanda2,

We walked from the ship to St. Mark's via the Rialto bridge the day we arrived. It was a leisurely stroll in the heat with lots of window shopping etc., and took about 45 mins.

Our last day, when we dropped the luggage at the terminal, we took a water taxi to St. Marks right from the terminal; it took about 15 mins. and cost around 7 Euros return per person.

We took a cab to the airport from the terminal for 30 Euro. There was 4 of us so that was the best hassle free option.

Hey bermudabob, thanks for the great review and I can never get enough of cruisers talking about the waffle. Happy to hear all of you had a good time and hope the next is even better!!

Barry

Hi bermudabob it was a great review I have one question about formal nigh did the men were Tux ? How formal was it can we get away with a Blazer and tie dress pants? Trying to cut down on my packing We will be on The Summit September 20 14 nights.

MHoward909

MHoward909,

Most of those who conformed with the formal nights were in dark suits rather than tux's. I would say 60% of passengers in the late seating conformed. The balance, by and large, wore blazers with ties. You won't be out of place with a blazer.

There were a few shorts and polos in the dining room on formal nights; there were no fashion police at the entrances.

Have a blast on your cruise.

Cruiser Nonna,

All our private tours came from these boards; there's nothing better than word of mouth advertising!

Each of our tour drivers met us at the agreed time and had us back to the ship in plenty of time for departure. I recommend starting early regardless, to avoid the heat and beat the large busses to the sights.

Two of the tours were 460 euros, one was 520 and Athens was 260. The first 3 were in 8 seater vans and in Athens we were in a large taxi which fit us 4 quite comfortably. We shared the Rome tour with 3 others that we found on our "roll call". From Livorno, Pisa is a 30 min. drive and then another hour to Florence. From Civatavecchia, Rome is a 90 min. drive. Athens is a short 25 min. drive from Piraeus.

They all prefer cash or Travellers checks; we used Euro travellers checks for the tours and avoide carrying large amounts of cash.

Have fun!!

Archived