Short Visit (7 AM - 2 PM) Taxi or Tour? Lunch Recommendations?

vtxriders

We are looking at heading to the fort and old San Juan to walk the blue cobblestone streets. We plan to take in lunch and a little shopping during our brief visit.

Taxi or tour?

Lunch recommendations for local cuisine?

Taxi or Tour?

Neither!

Strap on some walking shoes and see the city the best way ... by walking!

The main tourist area in Old San Juan is only like 8x8 blocks. Nothing is really a far walk. And if you get tired of walking, there is a free trolley (it's transportation, not a guided tour) that runs partially around the city and between the forts and the main pier area.

If you're looking for guidance, take a look at our self-guided walking tour. It will take you past all of the popular sights.

If you don't feel like walking, you can take a horse/carriage ride. Or something a little more interesting try out a Segway Tour of the old city.

Ideas for local food?

El Jiberito on Calle Sol is a popular spot. So is Barrachina on Calle Fortaleza. There are a couple good places in El Convento Hotel (across from the Cathedral. And across from El Convento, you'll find a place we like called Buren. Then there's always the Parrot Club (and a bunch of other places) at the south end of Fortaleza.

One of the popular spots for breakfast / brunch is La Bombonera

If you feel like walking to the fort rather thna taking the free trolley, you head along the Paseo la Princesa (just along from the sruise ships), through teh san Juan Gate, past the cathedral and up Cristo Street (some uphill walking involved). Then across teh open field infron of El Morro.

Take a look at my Puerto Rico Travel map just zoom in and out to see attractions and links to articles

have a great stop Coqui @ http://www.visit-the-coqui.com

I'm on a 7-2 schedule as well.

I did a student exchange in San Juan in college (stayed in Rio Piedras at the University) and am anxious to be back in San Juan even for a half a day.

I just want a place to have some mofongo (possible con camarones) and rice n beans!!! And I need a mallorca con mantequilla..lol Suggestions? The name of the place we used to go in OSJ escapes me.

We are looking at heading to the fort and old San Juan to walk the blue cobblestone streets. We plan to take in lunch and a little shopping during our brief visit.

Taxi or tour?

Lunch recommendations for local cuisine?

Definitely walk! If you arrive on Sunday, the streets are jam-packed with cars, busses, trolleys, etc., and you can get around much faster on foot. Plus, you really see so much more when you're walking.

We went to La Bombonera and really enjoyed it (as did Rachael Ray when she visited for one of her $40 a Day shows).

By the way, here's a photo I took of those amazing blue cobblestones.

1869560569_OSJcobblestone.jpg.d213805daa532fc9bbb080dda6a28ca7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We were in San Juan last Wednesday. We took the trolley to El Morro (thanks to the advice on this board). It worked very well except we had a 30 minute wait before the trolley arrived. So plan accordingly. The fort is magnificent and well worth the visit.

One thing to remember is that the walk from the cruise ships to the forts is not really that far. So if you're able to walk, by all means do it. As mentioned here, the trolley doesn't run on any definite schedule. And it does get tied up in traffic.

Re: Lunch near the cruise ships:

A lot of tourists go to Senor Frogs for lunch. We stopped by there, but it was too noisy for our likes so we continued down the street and happened upon a place called Raices. It was a little pricey but we liked the atmosphere and trying things we'd never had before. We had the mofongo (stuffed plantains) and some appetizers with fried cassava. I found their website when we got home:

http://www.restauranteraices.com/

Sue

Archived