Shore Excursions & Beaches

Livabeth

Hi everyone,

Our excursions just opened up for our October Caribbean cruise. We are trying to decide whether to book excursions or just explore ourselves. We will be travelling with our two girls (age 5 and 9) and I know they will just want to go to the beach.

What has others done ... have you just taken taxis to the best beach or booked with the cruiseline?? We booked a full tour in St. Maarten that includes a beach stop. We have nothing booked for St. Thomas and Grand Turk. What are the best beaches for families at these two islands. I would love to have some shade, chairs, lockers if possible. Any suggestions??

Thanks.

For Turks, just walk off the ship and hang out on the beach. You can rent a chair with a clam shell for $5. Shopping and Jimmy Buffets are also right there, so no need to do an excursion. Jimmy Buffets has a great pool and a fun atmosphere. It's a really great port.

We just took the water taxi at the dock for St.Martin and did the beach on the Dutch side. Again the chair rentals were around $5.00. We have also gone to the French side and found the surf to be quite rough and very hard to swim in. Also be warned that it is a "clothing optional" beach so you will see skin. Personally, I would receommend just hanging out and playing on the Dutch side. They also have great shopping just steps from the beach. The water taxi was around $5.00.

I can't remember which beach we did at St.Thomas... it was around a 20 minute bus ride. Lots of shade available. Great calm waters.

Have a fun trip!

Archived