Cozumel Dolphin Swim???

bjrose

We're going end of Sept on Enchantment of the Seas for a few days just to get away from it all. We are 60ish and good swimmers, but a little bit skeptical about the dolphins. Does anyone recommend we do this? We love animals and have always wanted to touch them, but I never have taken the plunge. We're not big on snorkling but love the beach. The 3 hours with the dolphin swim is $149 each. Is it worthwhile and what else do you suggest we do or where to go to relax a little bit, what beach, etc?

Thanks, cruisemates.

bjrose:)

We did the royal dolphin swim with dolphin discovery for $149 each. The dolphin swim usually does less with the dolphin. Is this offered through the cruiseline? I booked it myself and there are plenty of cabs. My husband and I and 3 kids ages 7,9 and 12 had a great time. I was a little leery at first, but that didn't last long. I thought it was a bit pricey, but figured it was a one time chance. My daughter chose this as what she really wanted to do on our cruise. They had a ball. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Karen

There are several posts on the two different dolphin centers in Coz. They are fairly equivalent. Having done the dolphin swim I would tell you not to worry. You will be supervised. There were a few young girls who were not good swimmers on our tour and they did fine. It was a lifetime experience for the kids. I doubt that I would do a swim again just based on cost alone. That being said, I am glad that I did it once. I would do an encounter again though. Just being that close and able to touch the dolphin would be enough for me....that is the coolest!:D

We also did the Royal Dolphin - worth every penny, you are standing on a platform, life jacket etc... The entire Park area was top notch, we spent our entire day there, the beach was fine. Chairs available, snacks, drinks.

Our favorite beach was Punta Sur Eco Park, pure white sand beaches, crystal clear water, a guy pulled my 4y/o son and I on a Kayak, so all we did was hop out when there was something to see, Sea turtles, star fish galore, etc... I think we paid him total of 10 dollars.

We're going end of Sept on Enchantment of the Seas for a few days just to get away from it all. We are 60ish and good swimmers, but a little bit skeptical about the dolphins. Does anyone recommend we do this? We love animals and have always wanted to touch them, but I never have taken the plunge. We're not big on snorkling but love the beach. The 3 hours with the dolphin swim is $149 each. Is it worthwhile and what else do you suggest we do or where to go to relax a little bit, what beach, etc?

Thanks, cruisemates.

bjrose:)

First, I would highly recommend that you book directly through the companies website, not the ship. You will get the same experience for a lot less money, or a better experience for the same money booking on your own. Both places are easy to get to. Any taxi can take you right there by just telling them where you want to go and the price is reasonable.

There are two dolphin programs on Cozumel. Dolphin Discovery (at Chankanaab Park) and Dolphinaris. Both offer various programs and you can choose the one that you would be most comfortable with, or the one that best fits your price range.

The other poster is right...you don't have to be an excellent swimmer. You mostly stand on a platform and are fitted with a life jacket. It's very, very safe. If you enjoy animals, especially dolphins, you will LOVE this experience.

Here are the two websites:

www.dolphindiscovery.com

www.dolphinaris.com

Have a wonderful time!

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew how deep the water is for the Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Discovery. My son and I will be in Cozumel next month and would to do this but we are both not the best swimmers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Archived