NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

While your son most likely looked much more polished in his "dress shorts" and polo than in the borrowed sweats, NCL must draw a line somewhere. If "dress shorts" were allowed but "non-dress shorts" not, then there would have to be a fashion advisor at each dining venue to judge what qualifies. If you don't want to find yourself sitting at a nice dinner next to a guy in frayed cut offs or worse in short, short, nylon running shorts (that he just worked out in) then let's keep the no shorts policy.

Dress codes do have an element of discrimination in this area on most ships not just NCL

Shorts are not alowed on men but the capris(ladies shorts) are on women, what hapens when a man dons matching capris do they become men shorts then and not allowed

What about other forms of lower body clothing.

Short skimpy skirts are they allowed by both sexes?.(scary thought need K. M. input for this one)

Anyway capris, look like somethings shrunk in wahs and look daft on most women.

I can not understand why people would be so rude. The poster was just stating her experience. We live in NY and nice shorts are allowed in just about every restaurant in NYC as well as the Hamptons. I am pretty sure that would not qualify for a "trailor park"

I can't understand how people can be so rude-- to blatantly disregard a dress code that specifically states NO SHORTS.

And, I often dine in NYC too, but have not seen shorts in "just about every restaurant." I'd like to see you walk into Daniel, Le Bernardin, Per Se, Masa, or Jean Georges in shorts! :eek:

All the cruise lines are lowering their dress codes so, if what you say is true, NCL won't be alone for long. On "Suggested" formal night on the Explorer last week there were polo shirts, jeans, pant suits and button down shirts with no tie in the dining rooms. Nothing was said. One crew member even told me that the dress code is just a suggestion now. (there were also shorts in the dining room almost every night)

If what I experienced last week on RCI on formal night, then I will take "shabbily dressed" any day. The level of rudeness and snobiness of a person was directly related to how much they dressed up.

But I did enjoy formal night. It was a lot of fun to sit there and laugh at the goddy dresses that some of those people wore. They way some of them were obviously dressing up to pretend to be something they were not. One of the best comments of the night about the dress up was: "are we at the circus with all these women in these clown outfits....lol)

And.. I bet a lot of those people dressed in "goddy" (ahem...I think you mean, "gaudy") dresses, were probably laughing at how inappropriately you were dressed. And those "snobbish" people probably were also remarking at how the amount of dressing down on the ship was directly related to how low class the passengers acted. ;)

I can not understand why people would be so rude. The poster was just stating her experience. We live in NY and nice shorts are allowed in just about every restaurant in NYC as well as the Hamptons. I am pretty sure that would not qualify for a "trailor park"

The reason the OP is getting a hard time is becuase she asked on these boards BEFORE her cruise if shorts could be worn to diner . She chose to ignore the addvice and now questions the result ....:rolleyes:

Can you put some cheese on that popcorn????

I can only imagine after being forewarned here on CC that only pants are allowed in dining areas after 5:30pm, that the OP's son must have done his own packing. Of course, he did not pack any pants.

I appreciate at least some type of policy that keeps people from dining in their tee's and undies. I don't think even sweatpants should have been allowed.

My suggestion would have been - 1st port of call...buy the boy some pants! Then dine where you want on the ship. :p

Dress codes do have an element of discrimination in this area on most ships not just NCL

Shorts are not alowed on men but the capris(ladies shorts) are on women, what hapens when a man dons matching capris do they become men shorts then and not allowed.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If the cruise line wants people to cover their legs during dinner (for whatever reason, heck you've seen them all day - and they ARE under the table after all!) then you ladies had better get some nice pant-suits or ankle-length evening gowns.

FWIW, I often dress formally during formal night - but THAT'S IT! I don't go on vacation in tropical climates to wear uncomfortable long pants just to satisfy somebody's idea of what is/is not attractive. I do, however, conform to the rules that I don't agree with and wear jeans and a nice shirt at dinner (but I'm sure I look much better in my Polo shorts than jeans, but at least nobody can see my ankles - and I guess that's pretty darned important). :rolleyes:

LOL Got her. What I can't imagine is after being told this, no long pants were packed for the son. Did she think the poster on the other thread was making up the dress code?

On the thread asking us if shorts were okay or not, and replying to an answer that it isn't for dinner, the OP replied,

"Thanks so much for the answers! I can always count on the CC members to have the answers."

Now we read this thread. Just goes to prove that

SOME PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY UNLESS THEY ARE COMPLAINING!

The OP knew before stepping aboard the ship what NCL's policy was....then complains about it later? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

While your son most likely looked much more polished in his "dress shorts" and polo than in the borrowed sweats, NCL must draw a line somewhere. If "dress shorts" were allowed but "non-dress shorts" not, then there would have to be a fashion advisor at each dining venue to judge what qualifies. If you don't want to find yourself sitting at a nice dinner next to a guy in frayed cut offs or worse in short, short, nylon running shorts (that he just worked out in) then let's keep the no shorts policy.

I agree with you 100%. On our June cruise on the Dawn, I liked the fact that I did not have to put on a tie and/or jacket every night, BUT I also liked the fact that MOST passengers followed the "resort casual" guidelines.

On "dress up or not night" I wore a jacket and tie, my wife wore a nice dress, and my two boys wore long pants and polo shirts. I saw some men in formal wear, and some ladies in gowns. We certainly weren't out to "impress" anyone, but we felt like we were dressed appropriately for a special occasion.

I don't think grown men should wear shorts to dinner in a formal restaurant (not that I think sweatpants are any better). That's just my opinion. Dressing in a nice pair of kaki pants and a polo shirt is comfortable, and should be the minimum required for the formal restaurants.

Like you said, if "dress shorts" were allowed, there would be a wide range of opinions as to what qualifies as "dress shorts." Rather than open up that can of worms, I think NCL should stick with their current dress code, even if it is not strictly enforced.

Even though it's "free style dining" to me that does mean you can wear shorts in the main dining room, NCL states this. Personally, I wear shorts to Wendy's but not to any good resturant. One of the reasons my wife and I take a cruise is so we can dress "formal" a couple of nights. We enjoy it . Maybe in the "Hamptons" they are so used to dressing formal all the time they think on a cruise they can dress down.

I love dressing up for dinner on a cruise. At home, I come as I am....not a pretty sight. I think it adds something special to the whole experience. I also appeciate the others took the time to spruce up. Whether it's gaudy dresses, tuxes, or minis cut up to the "who-ha", or elegant gowns, it is those passengers interpretation of looking elegant. The ambiance of the entire ship kicks-up and it sets cruising apart from my local diner.

And.. I bet a lot of those people dressed in "goddy" (ahem...I think you mean, "gaudy") dresses, were probably laughing at how inappropriately you were dressed. And those "snobbish" people probably were also remarking at how the amount of dressing down on the ship was directly related to how low class the passengers acted. ;)

Ahhh, I was wondering about that "goddy" thing. Thought it might be some new-age word I wasn't familiar with, therefore didn't comment. Glad to hear it's a regular geezer word, commonly used.:rolleyes:

It's so hot here in Dallas that you see shorts everywhere... even at church. I see so many men in nice presssed shorts with nice polo shirts going out to dinner in Dallas - at 8 p.m. it can still be in the 90's. It doesn't offend me. But, NCL has made rules and as in life you find sometimes rules are overlooked and sometimes they are not (case in point the speed limit in the garage where I work - that is an entirely different matter). I am just surprised OP did not pack one pair of long pants just to be on the safe side - kind of like me packing one skirt. What if they had been invited to dine with the captain or something (it could happen) - best to be prepared!!!

It's so hot here in Dallas that you see shorts everywhere... even at church. I see so many men in nice presssed shorts with nice polo shirts going out to dinner in Dallas - at 8 p.m. it can still be in the 90's. It doesn't offend me. But, NCL has made rules and as in life you find sometimes rules are overlooked and sometimes they are not (case in point the speed limit in the garage where I work - that is an entirely different matter). I am just surprised OP did not pack one pair of long pants just to be on the safe side - kind of like me packing one skirt. What if they had been invited to dine with the captain or something (it could happen) - best to be prepared!!!

Don't you have air conditioning in your churches in Dallas? (Also wondering why you would dress nicer for the Captain than for God?!)

HAHAHAHAAHHAHA... Popcorn anyone?

I'll take some! This is the first time I've heard a shorts ban in the dining rooms called a 'rigid' dress code. Normally we have people complaining about how their dinner was ruined because someone wore shorts to the dining room and NCL should enforce their rules.

Don't you have air conditioning in your churches in Dallas? (Also wondering why you would dress nicer for the Captain than for God?!)

I thought everyone new that God does not care how you dress as long as you put something in the collection.

I find this thread interesting, it5 shows a number of different perspectives about cruising comfort. But the bottom line is that the dress rules sre easy to find on the net and in NCLs printed material. Its not hard to find or follow. With that said NCL is my line of choice because of the casual dress code. I love shorts, jeans, and tees. Got a couple of pairs of khakis that look nice and are comfortable for dinner time. I am on the cruise for MY vacation to rest and relax. If you like formal then have a great time dressing up, enjoy your cruise dont let my lower class attitude ruin your good time. As for those people who are like me well maybe be can share a beer at the pub some cruise, cuz im gonna have a great time with the one I love (my dw). Celebrate choices and happy cruising

Surfgirl-

I did not say I wear shorts to church. And I only wear the long capris (they are different than shorts) - ankle length.

I would rather someone show up to church in nice shorts than not at all.

With all the door opening, it can be warm in there sometimes.

I was just making a comment that shorts can still look nice (nice shorts beats sweats for me)... but personally, I like dressing up and take nice things on my cruise.

Archived