NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

I really don't understand the issue here. If I want to enter someone's business (or home for that matter) I am obligated to follow their rules. If I don't like them I go elsewhere. If it says "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" I either wear a shirt and shoes or stay away. :confused: :confused: :confused:

NCL's policy is clear as far as I'm concerned and the poster was given the correct information when she asked pre-cruise.

It's time people start teaching their kids how to follow the rules and not how to circumvent the system.

Whether this is relevant to the rash of unique postings of the last few days BUT IT WILL BE A FULL MOON TONIGHT"

Waiter - I'm finished with the popcorn now where are my hot dogs!!!

Cheers

Dennis

Ahhh' date=' I was wondering about that "goddy" thing. Thought it might be some new-age word I wasn't familiar with, therefore didn't comment. Glad to hear it's a regular geezer word, commonly used.:rolleyes:[/quote']

I don't care who said what between the time this was posted and now.

This is a great use of the word "geezer" and surely understood by whomever it is aimed at. LOL LOL LOL.

By the way, I've understood the dress code for a long time.

Do I win a prize, or perhaps G'ma will provide me with another glorious word.

You gotta' love this thread. :p :p

Okay, shorts vs,no shorts can be debated forever...as well as what constitutes appropriate attire....I know what I think is correct, and others will disagree. I'm too busy trying to have a good time to worry about what others are wearing, after all, I can do that any time! It seems the OP asked a question, which was answered here, then found out the information was correct! Besides, the Gem is in Europe. I thought the "dress code" is a little more conservative there, anyway!

Okay, shorts vs,no shorts can be debated forever...as well as what constitutes appropriate attire!

It doesn't even need be whether it is appropriate.

Some folks simply find it terribly difficult to accept or adhere to any guidelines at all, regardless of how simple they may be. Even when being told up front, they will still try to work their way around a rule - just because it is "Me" and "My" vacation. Come on, it is a cruise ship with probably two thousand other folks on board. It is not all about "Me".

It clearly states in the NCL brochure that shorts, t-shirts, cut-offs, and several other items of attire will not be allowed in the dining rooms.

When does it stop? Never, because those who like to push buttons will continue to do so - for every single thing in their life.

It IS a big deal. When you pay for a cruise, you're paying for more than a place to sleep and a meal. You're paying for the experience and ambience too.

First of all, I personally prefer to dress up and my husband doesnt, however, he would NEVER wear shorts or sweats to the DR. When we cruise, we are on a well deserved vacation and want it to be stress free. So, I am paying for MY comfort not the comfort of anyone else.

People need to stop being so judgemental of others and worry about themselves. If I want to wear capris and a decent top to dinner then I should be able to and not have anyone complain about it. I dont complain when women SQUEEZE themselves into a dress too small just because they want to dress up. If they want to wear that, more power to them because its THEIR vacation.

I pay for my vacation to do what I want to do and you pay for your vacation to do what you want to do!

And to whomever brought up wearing shorts to church .... that is when you should dress up. God allows you to get up every morning and breath every second .... God deserves your very best not sloppy seconds!

Problem solved!

Why should it be such a big issue? When we go out, we dress a little nicer for dinner. I would never consider short and T-shirt for any establishment. I don't need to be told. It is just a way to respect myself.

I am not sure why it is such a big deal to put on a nice pair of pants and shirt to go to a nice, respectalbe dining room where servers are in tux and uniform. I would in fact feel very very strange if I were to go in the dining room in shirts and t-shirt and have someone serving me.

generally I do follow the rules and sometimes I do think they shouldn't be allowed in but then I think ... unless of course the airline lost their luggage.

The no short rules IMO is one of the more stupid rules....why because a women can wear short skirts and I can wear a kilt and show my knees to my hearts content without violating any rules but shorts are a no no(unless of course you are in bermuda and have bermuda shorts with high socks)...

Well, see that... you can wear a skirt too! But both men AND women can't wear shorts in the nice restaurants. So, I don't understand your objection.

And when we were going to the stadium club at Yankee stadium we were turned away because my wife had open toed flats(that are also sandals) we were eventually allowed in and that rule has been changes as it should have been. I really don't see how my knees(or my wife's toes) effect your ambiance...

I'm sorry that you don't understand how dressing poorly can effect the ambiance of a nice restaurant. I'm also sorry that you don't understand why there are dress codes in the nicer establishments.

Do you understand why yelling and obnoxious behavior is not acceptable in a nice restaurant too? It's all about the ambiance and the dining experience too.

My family and I are eating together. That's all that matters to me.

Exactly!

Life is so crazy! With 1 Son in college, 2 other BUSY teenage Sons & a 3yr old daughter, they all have my attention at dinner.

There could be a herd of elephants running behind me and it still wouldnt keep me from making memories with my family.

Yep, I've always figured that God is just happy to see me there!

God is happy to see you there and I can not believe some of the responses. If you go in shorts and get away with it...woooppee.

If not...you change. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. I always dress like my my DW says...saves lots of problems.

I have eaten in shorts many times with no problems. As far as teaching children mine have all turned out just fine...thank you.

:D :D

Nick

I find this thread interesting, it5 shows a number of different perspectives about cruising comfort. But the bottom line is that the dress rules sre easy to find on the net and in NCLs printed material. Its not hard to find or follow. With that said NCL is my line of choice because of the casual dress code. I love shorts, jeans, and tees. Got a couple of pairs of khakis that look nice and are comfortable for dinner time. I am on the cruise for MY vacation to rest and relax. If you like formal then have a great time dressing up, enjoy your cruise dont let my lower class attitude ruin your good time. As for those people who are like me well maybe be can share a beer at the pub some cruise, cuz im gonna have a great time with the one I love (my dw). Celebrate choices and happy cruising

I'd love to have a drink with you... I'm sure you and my husband would look very similar... hope you won't mind if I'm dressed up though... our yearly cruise is one of the only chances I get to dust the cobwebs off my finery!! :p

Wow this post is intersting. So many opinion....So here is mine....

Why is it so diffucult for people to dress for dinner, not talking shirt and tie, but slacks and a polo sirt, or a hawaiin shirt, carpirs ( not ladies shorts, they are capris) and a nice top , sandals? It only for a an hour so so. Go back and change. Wear the same outfit to dinner all week . It is in theh brochure, it's all over these posts...do your homework. All places have rules. Go to resort..what are all those signs I see...no swimming this side of ropes, no running near pool, no glass in hottub, no one under 16 allowed.....do you break all these rules too? If you don't like the rules, choose another vacation. They will allow Bermuda shorts on a Bermuda cruise...but read the restrictions before you jump on that.

And if God made Adam and Eve naked, I don't think he cares what you wear to church. They just want to fill the pews and baskets.

(let the games begin!)

It IS a big deal. When you pay for a cruise, you're paying for more than a place to sleep and a meal. You're paying for the experience and ambience too. That includes the crew wearing uniforms, and the passengers dressing appropriately. That's also why fine restaurants often require jackets. If someone showed up in shorts at one of these restaurants, it would certainly ruin the ambience.

People don't HAVE to dress for dinner-- they have their choice of wearing shorts at McDonalds, or jacket/dress at 21 or Le Bernardin. And on the ship, you have your choice of wearing shorts at the buffet or long pants in the dining rooms.

Dressing appropriately is part of a nice dining experience. I'm sorry you're unable to comprehend this.

You make a good point, but while you're paying for the experience and ambiance you want, so are all the other passengers. Therefore, if one of those things you pay for in a cruise is an environment where everyone dresses for dinner, you should NOT cruise NCL. Too many people cruise NCL because they want to pay for the freedom to NOT dress for dinner. :) Believe me, I love dressing up, and I most definitely agree that there is an entirely different 'feel' to a dining room where everyone is more than casually dressed. I just don't happen to think it's important, and my husband is more comfortable in jeans, so NCL works perfectly for us because we can do both at one table! :)

DAGVBSBis on a personal mission to put an end to dressing appropriately. He doesn't like the fact that people should dress according to the venue because it ruins the "comfort" for him. He is self-centered and more interested in dressing like a slob than respecting people he is with. Most people on this board simply ignore him, but his comments are always worth a good laugh.

You see that is where you have me all wrong...

1.) I dressed according to the minimum dress code last week. In fact, I was not going to formal night on the Explorer until a crew member encouraged me to go. I told him: "the best that I have is sweater, button down shirt, dress kahkis and tennis shoes." His response to me: "that is fine, that meets the guidelines and besides, the dress code is only a suggestion." So I went... wore the same outfit both days...

2.) I believe that a dress code should be followed. NCL says no shorts and so no shorts are to be worn and that should be followed, no questions asked. BUT, at the same time, NCL says that Resort Casual (Polo shirts) are perfectly acceptable. BUT, some people want to try and push that further by intimidating NCL cruisers into trying to wear more than they need to BECAUSE they personally don't like the Freestyle Dress Code. To hide behind the "ambiance" excuse is just trying to justify the real motive.

NCL has been very successful with the new dress code and in fact, it is spreading to the other lines.

I still have never understood why people who hate the NCL dress code and the optional formal code still want to sail on NCL. If you want to sail on NCL, accept the dress code and move on. If you don't want to accept it, then go elsewhere....don't try to change it.

3.) If you have read posts on threads where people have asked about the dress code, you will see that I have always said the same thing: "if you want to dress up to the nines... then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place. But if you would rather stay in resort casual for dinner, then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place." The idea of choosing how YOU dress is the hallmark of NCL Freestyle. It allows each person to choose how they want to dress.

4.) I decided to give you a taste of your own medicine and you took the bait. Do you think that I actually sat there and laughed at people?? But basically everytime you come on here, you like to make fun of people who don't dress up, so I just reversed the role on you... and you didn't disappoint me... (Unfortunately, I do have to stand by my rudeness statement however.)

and as far as your comment about people ignoring me.... today I have received 3 personal messages from people congratulating me for what I said to you. How many have you received??

One of the points almost missed here is that this was a European cruise -- there was a port everyday except the first, including Rome and Florence. Surely the OP could have found a pair of long pants for her son so he could have eaten at Tequila's without sweatpants. In my opinion anyway, this isn't at all unreasonable. A cruise ship DR should be like a nice restaurant on land, not a Denny's or TGIFriday's. I didn't miss dressing up formally for my recent Gem cruise, but I still think it dignifies the meal to treat it as something a little special, which shorts and sweats don't do.

Wow this post is intersting. So many opinion....So here is mine

And if God made Adam and Eve naked, I don't think he cares what you wear to church. They just want to fill the pews and baskets.

(let the games begin!)

Naked is closer to shorts and capris. But as I have said I dress according to what DW says. But I do believe as most 13 year old adults if you can get away with it....whoooppee. Live with NCL is good.

Nick

Wow, interesting! My Son is in Bible College to be a Pastor, he doesnt just want to fill pews and baskets. His heart is in it to lead souls to Christ and to help people.

I still have never understood why people who hate the NCL dress code and the optional formal code still want to sail on NCL. If you want to sail on NCL, accept the dress code and move on. If you don't want to accept it, then go elsewhere....don't try to change it.

Well said Dag! Heck, I don't even care if they try to change it (let NCL know they would like it changed) but to come to the boards and b----- and moan about it???

BTW-thanks for the quote. I had forgotten why I couldn't see this persons posts...now I remember! :D

Exactly!

Life is so crazy! With 1 Son in college, 2 other BUSY teenage Sons & a 3yr old daughter, they all have my attention at dinner.

There could be a herd of elephants running behind me and it still wouldnt keep me from making memories with my family.

I feel pretty much the same way, but I have to say... a herd of elephants? We'd definitely have to all run to one side and have our picture taken with them at least!! :p

I'd love to have a drink with you... I'm sure you and my husband would look very similar... hope you won't mind if I'm dressed up though... our yearly cruise is one of the only chances I get to dust the cobwebs off my finery!! :p

I bet you look beautiful when your dressed up ... just like my wife, so while you two are dressed up and looking fine your dh and I can be lifting a beer in your honor and our good luck to have such fine companions:D

Archived