NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

Absolutely amazing. :rolleyes:

My husband and son wore nice, dress, over the knee shorts with a polo shirt (which is acceptable to visit the Vatican) and were NOT allowed to be seated in the main dining rooms. To "beat the system" and get my son his favorite food, ribs, in Tequilas...a friend loaned him long sweat pants to wear. He looked slouchy, but was allowed to eat in any restaurant for dinner with them on.

You see that is where you have me all wrong...

1.) I dressed according to the minimum dress code last week. In fact, I was not going to formal night on the Explorer until a crew member encouraged me to go. I told him: "the best that I have is sweater, button down shirt, dress kahkis and tennis shoes." His response to me: "that is fine, that meets the guidelines and besides, the dress code is only a suggestion." So I went... wore the same outfit both days...

Personally, I don't think you should have gone. Formal night is formal night. That's out of respect for your fellow passenger.

2.) I believe that a dress code should be followed. NCL says no shorts and so no shorts are to be worn and that should be followed, no questions asked. BUT, at the same time, NCL says that Resort Casual (Polo shirts) are perfectly acceptable. BUT, some people want to try and push that further by intimidating NCL cruisers into trying to wear more than they need to BECAUSE they personally don't like the Freestyle Dress Code. To hide behind the "ambiance" excuse is just trying to justify the real motive.

First, you tell me you didn't follow the dress code on Explorer, and now you tell me you believe a dress code should be followed? Why don't you pick a side and stick to it. It makes for a more effective argument. ;)

NCL has been very successful with the new dress code and in fact, it is spreading to the other lines.

I still have never understood why people who hate the NCL dress code and the optional formal code still want to sail on NCL. If you want to sail on NCL, accept the dress code and move on. If you don't want to accept it, then go elsewhere....don't try to change it.

Um.. we're discussing shorts at dinner. Now you're telling me that shorts are acceptable under the NCL dresscode?

3.) If you have read posts on threads where people have asked about the dress code, you will see that I have always said the same thing: "if you want to dress up to the nines... then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place. But if you would rather stay in resort casual for dinner, then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place." The idea of choosing how YOU dress is the hallmark of NCL Freestyle. It allows each person to choose how they want to dress.

Yes.. and... what does this have to do with breaking the dress code and wearing shorts to dinner? :confused:

4.) I decided to give you a taste of your own medicine and you took the bait. Do you think that I actually sat there and laughed at people?? But basically everytime you come on here, you like to make fun of people who don't dress up, so I just reversed the role on you... and you didn't disappoint me... (Unfortunately, I do have to stand by my rudeness statement however.)

No you didn't. You got caught, and now you're back peddling. I'll give you extra credit for trying, though.

and as far as your comment about people ignoring me.... today I have received 3 personal messages from people congratulating me for what I said to you. How many have you received??

What comment? I never made a comment about people ignoring you. And.. btw... isn't it handy to pretend to get personal messages in order to try to boost yourself when you're losing a debate? Again, nice try.

You make a good point, but while you're paying for the experience and ambiance you want, so are all the other passengers. Therefore, if one of those things you pay for in a cruise is an environment where everyone dresses for dinner, you should NOT cruise NCL. Too many people cruise NCL because they want to pay for the freedom to NOT dress for dinner. :) Believe me, I love dressing up, and I most definitely agree that there is an entirely different 'feel' to a dining room where everyone is more than casually dressed. I just don't happen to think it's important, and my husband is more comfortable in jeans, so NCL works perfectly for us because we can do both at one table! :)

It boggles the mind how a discussion about following a dress code can be distorted into assumptions that I believe everyone should wear the crown jewels to dinner. :D

The issue at hand is about following the NCL dress code. It says "no shorts" therefore, nobody should be allowed in the restaurant wearing shorts.

For the record, I prefer Windstar over NCL. But, guess what? You can wear khakis and button down shirts to dinner on Windstar ships! There's also no assigned seating.. and no shorts.

I sail NCL because it goes out of NY. I hate to fly... which is what I have to do in order to take a Windstar cruise. NCL is more convenient.

Overall, I enjoy NCL. But I don't like it when people are SELFISH and violate the dress code showing up for dinner looking like slobs. How difficult is it for a man to put on a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt? How hard is it for a woman to wear a nice pair of cotton resort pants, sandals and a pretty top?

Sick, sick, sick.

The same person beating the same drum for over a year, and still doesn't get it.

Someone needs to get a life, along with manners, and acceptance, and, and, and, and, and,............:mad:

I'm glad you recognized that you have a problem and need to get a life. :D

Well, see that... you can wear a skirt too! But both men AND women can't wear shorts in the nice restaurants. So, I don't understand your objection.

I'm sorry that you don't understand how dressing poorly can effect the ambiance of a nice restaurant. I'm also sorry that you don't understand why there are dress codes in the nicer establishments.

do you REALLY think that a woman's expensive sandals effect the ambiance? have you ever eaten at the stadium club?

I think you really are off base. this isn't yelling. it isn't some talking on their cell phone. the issue is shorts. You can say the same thing over and over but it really doesn't change that nice shorts as opposed to a skirt is really no big deal.

Can someone explain to me how a dinner can be ruined simply by knowing that a complete stranger at another table is wearing shorts vs. long pants on their legs, neither of which can be seen since their legs are under the table?

Is it that bare legs are considered offensive, or the fact that the party wearing the shorts has "broken the rules" - and rules must never be broken?

It seems to me that by asking this question, you are guaranteeing that you will not understand the answer.

This NCL board used to be fun. I think there is a concerted effort to ruin what we had. I loved one response. "Don't worry about what someone else does...just worry about yourself". After all it is called FREESTYLE!!:D

We sail again in September on Pearl going to Maimii. I will wear shorts every chance I get.:D Can't we all just get along.

We sail again in September on Pearl going to Maimii. I will wear shorts every chance I get.:D Can't we all just get along.

I don't know if you are Nick or Julie but have a good cruise (and enjoy those shorts)!

This NCL board used to be fun. I think there is a concerted effort to ruin what we had. I loved one response. "Don't worry about what someone else does...just worry about yourself". After all it is called FREESTYLE!!:D

not if you are wearing shorts to dinner at one of the restaurants....

but you won't have a problem with me....I'll be in my kilt with sandals...

Personally, I don't think you should have gone. Formal night is formal night. That's out of respect for your fellow passenger.

2.) I believe that a dress code should be followed. NCL says no shorts and so no shorts are to be worn and that should be followed, no questions asked. BUT, at the same time, NCL says that Resort Casual (Polo shirts) are perfectly acceptable. BUT, some people want to try and push that further by intimidating NCL cruisers into trying to wear more than they need to BECAUSE they personally don't like the Freestyle Dress Code. To hide behind the "ambiance" excuse is just trying to justify the real motive.

First, you tell me you didn't follow the dress code on Explorer, and now you tell me you believe a dress code should be followed? Why don't you pick a side and stick to it. It makes for a more effective argument. ;)

No what he said was. A crew member told him the dress code was a SUGGESTION, not a rule. He broke no rule and was encouraged by a member of the SHIPS STAFF to wear what he wore.

And.. btw... isn't it handy to pretend to get personal messages in order to try to boost yourself when you're losing a debate? Again, nice try.

Since I have no reason to think he is a liar, I'm going to take him at his word.

I don't know if you are Nick or Julie but have a good cruise (and enjoy those shorts)!

It's Nick but Julie is close by. I promise I will not wear short shorts but I will wear the longest shorts I can.

As Sea Hound would say "My manhood is not threatened be the lenth of my shorts" :eek: Well almost!!!!:D

Nick

Archived