Booze

txflyt

Ummm, how about I'm allowed to do so and I do??? I don't believe I stated she didn't drink anything else or that she ever threw a fit, I said they felt sorry for her and brought her the Dr. Pepper. That is like telling a coffee drinker they can just do without, you wouldn't get far with it.

A kid with a soda addiction... sounds like 'won't drink anything else'.

As for coffee, there is coffeee on board. I don't think they will make a stop at Stabucks for the Starbuck addict: suck i up and drink the coffee available or don;t drink coffee.

I always said I won't say this when I get older, but, when I was a kid we drank what was available, there was no bending over backwards to feed an addiction. :D

The guy who spends half his night emptying shampoo bottles and filling them with liquor is doing this because

WOW... I never knew you could wash your hair with Jack Daniels... does it really do a better job?? I'm getting a bit of gray... do you think it will remove it? :D

I think the OP got exactly what they were looking for;)

After this go around... I bet the OP won't be too quick to place another post on the CC board... at least under that name

Actually, I have not exceeded the speed limit, I do come to a full stop at stop signs, I do wear the appropriate formal wear,and I have never saved a chair anywhere for anyone. Any other questions?? :p

You beat me to this reply. I was going to say the same thing!!

After this go around... I bet the OP won't be too quick to place another post on the CC board... at least under that name

Such a loss! I'm in mourning now just contemplating the possibility that this one hit wonder was sincere in the request and that the answers received here made a hill of beans difference.

The policy is clear. If you don't like the policy, get it changed or sail somewhere else. The choices are clear, and grousing about it doesn't solve or resolve anything. The policy is unambiguous. NO means NO, just ask Nancy.

Can you just go to the bar and buy a bottle of liquor ?

How much are the prices of some of the liquor like say JACK DANIELS ?

jim

From what has been reported here previously, you can get pretty much anything that is served in bars through room service or by going to the bar. If you want to get an idea of the prices, I would suggest going to the HAL web site. I didn't see Jack offered for advanced purchase in the standard offerings, but perhaps you could arrange something through ships services prior to sailing.

Ordering liquor as a "Gift"

1. On the webpage, you cannot order but clicking on

gift selections. You have to click "overview" and then

the blue button at the bottom of that page.

2. No Jacks Daniels listed, but if you buy the bourbon and

Coke package, you get Jim Beam, which also is not listed.

Gin and Tonic package gets you Beefeaters.

Scotch and Soda package comes with Cutty.

3. There are no spirits listed on the print out paper order form

There used to be. Maybe that is a mistake.

4. They have JD on board, IIRC. You might be able to order

a bottle from the room service menu. Perhaps anyone who

have been aboard lately could update us.

One can also contact Ships' Services and find out what

might be available even though not listed.

The reason it's okay is because the smugglers will always have an alibi/excuse

1. They water down the drinks

2. I only want to drink it in my cabin

3. They don't have the soda I drink on board

ie "Little Tommy Only Drinks Dr. Pepper"

and on and on and on

underneath the veil you'll simply see

cheapskate.gif

Just suppose...What if :confused: ??? Someone saved for several years...just to be able to finally afford a Cruise Vacation... What If :rolleyes: ??? They were NEVER on a Vacation at all...anywhere ??? And wanted to save a little expense on board the Ship??? What then??? CHEAP SKATES??? or someone finally able to enjoy some luxury in life??? And maybe enjoy a few cocktails with little extra expense....What IF it were YOU???? or someone you loved???? Just suppose :confused: Should they feel ashamed in front of all the "wealthy" folks who do not have to spare any expense??? Just Suppose..??? What If???

Just suppose...What if :confused: ??? Someone saved for several years...just to be able to finally afford a Cruise Vacation... What If :rolleyes: ??? They were NEVER on a Vacation at all...anywhere ??? And wanted to save a little expense on board the Ship??? What then??? CHEAP SKATES??? or someone finally able to enjoy some luxury in life??? And maybe enjoy a few cocktails with little extra expense....What IF it were YOU???? or someone you loved???? Just suppose :confused: Should they feel ashamed in front of all the "wealthy" folks who do not have to spare any expense??? Just Suppose..??? What If???

Where do you draw the line? You have expressed an empathetic view of some hypothetical person, but using the same line of reasoning, it is possible to construct a similar argument for any rule or law breaker. Hypotheticals are the tyranny of tyrants, IMO. The facts of the matter are readily apparent, there is a contract, the contract allows HAL to set policy and to take action if the policy is not observed. It seems quite simple to me. IF HAL choses to take your hypotheticals into consideration, that is their perrogative. IF HAL choses to openly take your hypotheticals into consideration, then the discussion has changed. There is nothing that has been offered to suggest the HAL has adopted a practice that supports your hypothetical.

Ubgood...Interesting Point...I am asking if you are referring to being called a Cheap Skate...as opposed to breaking a rule.... I took you to mean not everyone that is on a tight budget is a Cheap skate..is that your Point?? Or do you believe it is OK to break rules when Money is involved??? I did not take you that way...Very empathetic argument...to make the point about tight budgets...not rules

I post infrequently (and read from time to time) these threads because, really, "same old". As part of the vast majority who (gasp, shock, oh, the horror!) smuggle liquor onto the ships, I am sure the moral majority on this board will condemn me and my dear wife to at least purgatory, if not worse.

So what--at least I will have a fine time while on this good earth!

To the original OP, who may have runn screaming away by now, turned off by all those who are making moral judgments, I say, bring on a reasonable amount of personal liquor in your suitcase--so long as you know you take the risk that if the bottle breaks, that's your tough luck. But, after over 100 HAL days at sea, it has never happened to us yet, because we pack carefully--not while flying, but once at the arrival airport do we add the (illegal, illicit, immoral too, perhaps according to some) hootch to our cases, well wrapped and packed.

Once in our stateroom, I have never had a cabin steward question this--and that is the only time that my wife and I enjoy our personal liquor, and it is up on the counter for all to see, no shame or regret. Never confiscated and never questioned--and we have had ships officers in our cabin on some occasions.

Take note, personal liquor is only for in-cabin. Never would I presume to take it "outside". My wife and I also leave enough "on the table" in the bars and re wine packages that I do not feel, in the slightest, guilty.

I consider my stateroom like my hotel room--and no hotels tell you that you can or can not bring liquor into your room but must use their mini-bar.

For those who always obey the speed limit, and never, ever breach any rule, ever, good for you. I hope the halos are not too tight. All I can say, from this sinner, is "judge not lest ye be judged".

I've gotten on HAL ships a couple times with liquor bottles in my hands after visits in ports. I buy these bottles to take home to my dad so I don't care if they take them away from me. They never have. They don't seem to be to uptight about it:eek: :) .

I say, bring on a reasonable amount of personal liquor in your suitcase

Why only a reasonable amount? Why not bring an obscene amount?

Take note, personal liquor is only for in-cabin.

Why not for outside the cabin? And who made up that rule?

I consider my stateroom like my hotel room--and no hotels tell you that you can or can not bring liquor into your room but must use their mini-bar.

But its not like a hotel room, its a cabin on a cruise ship with rules about liquor. And nobody says you have to use the mini-bar.

:rolleyes:

"judge lest not ye be judged" ........So then what are your thoughts on smokers? And for those of you who think drinkers don't harm anyone but themselves, I will beg to differ with you. I find the smell of alcohol sickening. You non smoking fanatics say being next to a smoker is sickening, well I find being next to a heavy drinker sickening. But I have never lobbied to have alcohol banned from the ships. I have just never understood all the people trying to figure out how to smuggle their stash on boad the ships. Is their need for a relaxing vacation (being able to drink 24/7) any more important than my wanting to smoke now and then?

not. If you want to bring a bottle or 2 on board in your luggage my attitude is go ahead. No need to repack it into shampoo bottles as no steward will take it away or report you to security. They will even bring you extra glasses and big buckets of ice.I have brought a few bottles on board from ports in a carry on bag and sometimes security will hold it but more often than not, let you take it to your cabin. They don't ask if you are going to take it home or drink it in the cabin. And if they hold it they deliver it to your cabin the last day before disembarking.

I limit using my liquor to my cabin. I also spend several hundred dollars in various bars on board. I also get a kick out of the comment that they allow wine to be brought onboard because it's more refined (than Martinis?)especially when it comes in a box. Profit rules are different from safety rules. End of speech.

"judge lest not ye be judged" ........So then what are your thoughts on smokers? And for those of you who think drinkers don't harm anyone but themselves, I will beg to differ with you. I find the smell of alcohol sickening. You non smoking fanatics say being next to a smoker is sickening, well I find being next to a heavy drinker sickening. But I have never lobbied to have alcohol banned from the ships. I have just never understood all the people trying to figure out how to smuggle their stash on boad the ships. Is their need for a relaxing vacation (being able to drink 24/7) any more important than my wanting to smoke now and then?

I don't follow your line of reasoning here. Drinking on board is independent of whether someone smuggles alcohol on board, which is the nature of the thread. If someone wants to drink 24/7, they can easily do this without violating the policy of not bringing alcohol on board. Smoking on board is twice removed from smuggling alcohol on board.

I also get a kick out of the comment that they allow wine to be brought onboard because it's more refined (than Martinis?)especially when it comes in a box.

Since I made a comment that resembles this and don't know if that is what you were referring to, my intent was to be jestful with the remark, not serious.

Archived