Booze

txflyt

Ordering liquor as a "Gift"

1. On the webpage, you cannot order but clicking on

gift selections. You have to click "overview" and then

the blue button at the bottom of that page.

2. No Jacks Daniels listed, but if you buy the bourbon and

Coke package, you get Jim Beam, which also is not listed.

Gin and Tonic package gets you Beefeaters.

Scotch and Soda package comes with Cutty.

3. There are no spirits listed on the print out paper order form

There used to be. Maybe that is a mistake.

4. They have JD on board, IIRC. You might be able to order

a bottle from the room service menu. Perhaps anyone who

have been aboard lately could update us.

One can also contact Ships' Services and find out what

might be available even though not listed.

I ordered vodka and champagne online and you are correct that JD is not on the list. That is my husbands favorite so we will check Ship Services to find that out directly. I'll try to get some answers on Monday. If they do not have it available for the room we'll probably place a small bottle in our check in luggage, unhidden. I will leave a note on it explaining why as I did on another cruise. They can remove it or leave it. I don't like bringing anything aboard as it is a pain and their higher prices are minor compared to the trip. My DH refuses to pay this much for a vacation and not have his beloved JD for the balcony. Thankfully he has no problem paying HAL for having what we like in our room upon arrival. We don't drink that much so when we do, it has to be what each of us want.

I am thinking they must just have it off the list but available (said with fingers crossed.) Most cruises serve it by the glass at a higher cost so you know they have it. Will they sell a bottle for the room seems to be a whole 'nother question. I'll check into it as we prefer doing it the easy way and buying it from HAL.

I don't follow your line of reasoning here. Drinking on board is independent of whether someone smuggles alcohol on board, which is the nature of the thread. If someone wants to drink 24/7, they can easily do this without violating the policy of not bringing alcohol on board. Smoking on board is twice removed from smuggling alcohol on board.
People are very judgemental of smokers, so thought I would be judgemental of the drinkers.

I post infrequently (and read from time to time) these threads because, really, "same old". As part of the vast majority who (gasp, shock, oh, the horror!) smuggle liquor onto the ships, I am sure the moral majority on this board will condemn me and my dear wife to at least purgatory, if not worse.

So what--at least I will have a fine time while on this good earth!

To the original OP, who may have runn screaming away by now, turned off by all those who are making moral judgments, I say, bring on a reasonable amount of personal liquor in your suitcase--so long as you know you take the risk that if the bottle breaks, that's your tough luck. But, after over 100 HAL days at sea, it has never happened to us yet, because we pack carefully--not while flying, but once at the arrival airport do we add the (illegal, illicit, immoral too, perhaps according to some) hootch to our cases, well wrapped and packed.

Once in our stateroom, I have never had a cabin steward question this--and that is the only time that my wife and I enjoy our personal liquor, and it is up on the counter for all to see, no shame or regret. Never confiscated and never questioned--and we have had ships officers in our cabin on some occasions.

Take note, personal liquor is only for in-cabin. Never would I presume to take it "outside". My wife and I also leave enough "on the table" in the bars and re wine packages that I do not feel, in the slightest, guilty.

I consider my stateroom like my hotel room--and no hotels tell you that you can or can not bring liquor into your room but must use their mini-bar.

For those who always obey the speed limit, and never, ever breach any rule, ever, good for you. I hope the halos are not too tight. All I can say, from this sinner, is "judge not lest ye be judged".

ON Cruiser..THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind comments...and anyone else that showed compassion...we certainly were ready to run away screaming We were seriously considering choosing another type of vacation..(not a Cruise...We are sure that someone out there will suggest we do just that & go elsewhere..Thanks in advance) we had no idea that so many judgements would be made by folks here on these lists as all we wanted was information!!!....OUCH!!!! :eek: This would be our very first Cruise...Should we do this??? We have the least expensive cabin and are on a tight budget...We do not drink a great deal but $5.00 or more for a drink is a lot to us...we still need money left over for tips and such...Should we choose a different type of vacation...??? or is it just the folks on Holland America....we are in our late 50's so we heard that Holland America was more our style...we do not want a "PARTY BOAT".... HELP... only kindness need reply!!! uBeGood

Most cruises serve [Jack Daniels] by the glass at a higher cost so you know they have it. Will they sell a bottle for the room seems to be a whole 'nother question.

The pre-ordered gifts are usually supplied through a contract service.

I would not at all be surprised that you are able to order a bottle of Jack

for the room once on board, even if you cannot order it through gift services.

Good Luck.

WOW. After reading all the posts on this thread, for a minute I thought I was on the NCL thread. Over there they tend to pummel pretty regularly. ;)

The OP asked for a way to sneak on booze. Simple question and easy answer. Put it in your luggage. HAL doesn't scan for booze like NCL. If they find it worse they would do is take it and maybe return it at the end.

As far as all the other comments on "you shouldn't drink", "cheapskate", "rule breaker". Please, spare me the morality lesson. Bringing in a bottle of booze for onboard consumption in the OPs stateroom is neither going to break HAL's bank nor land the OP in jail.

This is the BEST answer I've read regarding this post... You don't have to HIDE IT... just pack it. If it makes it to your room, so be it! NO hiding, NO smuggling, NO judgments, NO guilt, NO sin, NO condemnation, and most of all… NO lectures.

The pre-ordered gifts are usually supplied through a contract service.

I would not at all be surprised that you are able to order a bottle of Jack

for the room once on board, even if you cannot order it through gift services.

Good Luck.

Thanks for clearing that up docksider. I'll be sure and expand my question to HAL beyond Gift Services. Good to know.

ON Cruiser..THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind comments...and anyone else that showed compassion...we certainly were ready to run away screaming We were seriously considering choosing another type of vacation..(not a Cruise...We are sure that someone out there will suggest we do just that & go elsewhere..Thanks in advance) we had no idea that so many judgements would be made by folks here on these lists as all we wanted was information!!!....OUCH!!!! :eek: This would be our very first Cruise...Should we do this??? We have the least expensive cabin and are on a tight budget...We do not drink a great deal but $5.00 or more for a drink is a lot to us...we still need money left over for tips and such...Should we choose a different type of vacation...??? or is it just the folks on Holland America....we are in our late 50's so we heard that Holland America was more our style...we do not want a "PARTY BOAT".... HELP... only kindness need reply!!! uBeGood

You can purchase a fifth through ships services. You might save $20 compared to the price you would pay on land and still have the hassle of making sure it gets on board in tact and someone screening your baggage doesn't spot it and have it pulled. If you are on such a tight budget and want to ensure that you have your drink, then you are far better off using the ship's offerings rather than risking it, IMO. If you can afford to risk it, then the point is moot and your argument evaporates.

If things are so tight that the $20 difference is a make or break deal, then a cruise is probably not a good option for you at this time. As others have stated, screening is spotty at times. but HAL does have the right to screen and take measures it deems appropriate. Some have written that they have been able to bring liquor on board from ports visited. Perhaps I am one of the suspicious ones, but every time I have brought a bottle on board in port, it has been inspected. On only one occasion did the bottle contain liquor which was intended for transport home, so the temporary confuscation was not a problem.

Some have written that they have been able to bring liquor on board from ports visited. Perhaps I am one of the suspicious ones, but every time I have brought a bottle on board in port, it has been inspected. On only one occasion did the bottle contain liquor which was intended for transport home, so the temporary confuscation was not a problem.
We have openly (i.e. in the store bag) brought liquor on board in Mexican ports, put it through the scanner, and not had it confiscated and held. Two different ships. It's "whim of the day" enforcement! :)

I really don't know why, but whenever this question (of bringing personal liquor onboard) arises, many make moral judgements. Personally, although I can afford to order from room service or wherever, I choose not to, because I do not like being "nickled and dimed" when I am spending enough on my holiday. I also remember HAL permitting, until about 1992, personal liquor brought on and even allowed one to purchase it for in-room consumption at the on-board duty free shop, for a slight (15% if memory serves) premium--still a good bargain.

So the only reason that this is no longer permitted is profit margin. If anyone cares to look at CCL earnings (the parent of HAL and many other lines), I suggest we not worry to much--even with fuel costs, etc., while the share price is low (wish I had not bought a couple of years ago) profits are not too badly at all.

As for breaking the rules, I guess that is up to each of us to do as one pleases, and to accept the personal consequences of our decisions. I have brought two bottles on for in cabin consumption and have never had these confiscated in many years of cruising. But, if someone was to take them out of our suitcases--in which they are carefully and securely packed--then so be it--they will be returned to me at the end of the cruise. I have bought liquour in ports, specifically to take home, and more often then not have been allowed to take such to the cabin--even though it was my intent to take such bottles home unopened.

To the OP who questioned why only a "reasonable" amount, because my intent is not to flaunt it, but to have a bottle for the DW and me to enjoy, and only in the cabin when dressing for dinner, etc. We also do spend money on board in the bars, etc., as that is our choice. But everyone can make their own choices and far be it for me to judge those who decide that they will not do as I do.

Will anyone be put off the ship for this "offense" of bringing on personal liquor? Please, be serious. It would be a frosty day--in anywhere but Alaska--for that to happen.

Now, the original OP asked if cruising is right for them, on a tight budget. From my experience, some on these boards are--as can well be seen--very judgemental. If one is old enough to remember the 1960's TV show Bewitched, they could be named after the nosy busy-body neighbour, Gladys Kravitz. But, in contrast to some of the OP's here, in my experience fellow passengers on HAL are a generous, and usually very friendly, bunch, a slightly older crowd ( I am 46 and am a tad on the young side, depending on the itinerary and length of cruuise), well read and well educated--and not judgemental at all.

Remember that the cost of the cruise is not "all-inclusive". Take note of the auto-tipping fees and fuel surcharges. If you want to go on shore excursions, you will have to pay for this. So, only you know whether you can afford it after estimating your total anticipated costs. But, if you go, I think you would enjoy yourselves on a limited budget on HAL, even in your inside cabin which gets to the same ports at the same time as do the big suites. Your cabin is for changing, sleeping, having a quick nip (from your stash of "illegal" booze) before (a delicious) dinner; but mainly be out in the public spaces--mingle and mix and you will be just fine.

Just ignore those who will try to control your behaviour on this board and be "free and easy". Have a great cruise and report back to us your experiences and impressions when you get back.

We have openly (as in the store bag) brought liquor on board in Mexican ports, put it through the scanner, and not had it confiscated and held. Two different ships. It's "whim of the day" enforcement! :)

And you probably weren't counting on it getting to the cabin for consumption, just a guess. Maybe the new USA series "In Plain Sight" is the real answer.

But even that didn't apply for me, I made no effort to conceal and it was brought on board in the Caribbean, back before the new TSA rules about restricting what you could carry on (liquids) went into effect. Now things are much simpler, no duty free, no liquor purchases ashore. While I'm a fairly efficient packer, it's not worth it to me to have things soiled or ruined as a result of the baggage handling.

And you probably weren't counting on it getting to the cabin for consumption, just a guess.
Right! In both cases it was near the end of the cruise, so that may have made a difference - they didn't want to take and hold it for just a day before giving it back.

While I'm a fairly efficient packer, it's not worth it to me to have things soiled or ruined as a result of the baggage handling.

In one case we were driving home from the port, and in the other it was one small, sturdy bottle that we were sure we could pad well enough.

You can purchase a fifth through ships services. You might save $20 compared to the price you would pay on land and still have the hassle of making sure it gets on board in tact and someone screening your baggage doesn't spot it and have it pulled. If you are on such a tight budget and want to ensure that you have your drink, then you are far better off using the ship's offerings rather than risking it, IMO. If you can afford to risk it, then the point is moot and your argument evaporates.

If things are so tight that the $20 difference is a make or break deal, then a cruise is probably not a good option for you at this time. As others have stated, screening is spotty at times. but HAL does have the right to screen and take measures it deems appropriate. Some have written that they have been able to bring liquor on board from ports visited. Perhaps I am one of the suspicious ones, but every time I have brought a bottle on board in port, it has been inspected. On only one occasion did the bottle contain liquor which was intended for transport home, so the temporary confuscation was not a problem.

Thank you for the good Information. Are we understanding that it is OK to take on Wine??? for our Cabin... and that purchasing a cocktail or fifth for our room does not cost too much???

when did you ask for information?

Your first and only post was to rant at pipedreams62.

Perhaps you have come back under a new name.

To answer your inquiry. We previously just browsed on the lists for information,..never posted before...in fact felt a little intimidated...it seemed as if everyone but us had unlimited $$$ to spare...we did not know it sounded like a rant nor meant it to be taken that way??? Just a point of view...something to ponder...Plus we felt that people with less extra spending money (like Us... NOT "cheap skates" (a little demeaning YES???) just less fortunate in the pocket book) might need to know not everyone on Holland America is so wealthy that money is no object...no offense meant...I thank all those that understand & realize we all have different budgets...yet still can all be on the same boat..we will bring wine if that is "LEGAL" ???? and eliminate a shore excursion so we can "BUY" a few drinks on board...

I don't suggest you choose another vacation mode but perhaps your cruising days should be postponed until you can afford to enjoy it properly.

HAL has the right to make a profit and they certainly don't do so with their fares. Their main profit is alcohol and you came here wanting validation for breaking their rules. You didn't get it, this is a HAL board; why are you so surprised? :confused:

Thank you for the good Information. Are we understanding that it is OK to take on Wine??? for our Cabin... and that purchasing a cocktail or fifth for our room does not cost too much???

Wine is fine, bring all you care.

Purchasing a fifth of booze for the cabin is possible and the price depends on the bottle purchased. The on line gifts lists call and top shelf brands, you might want to consider seeing if they offer well brands at a lower price. Even with the call brands, it's possible to get a fifth of some liquors for less than $30.

If you want non-juice mixers, I would suggest bringing them yourself if the luggage allows. They pack easy, are not subject to breakage, you can make sure that you get what you want and they are not subject to restrictions by HAL. This is also one area where you can save money since that is something you have expressed consideration for. You can get certain kinds of juice during the day through room service or at the Lido by asking if it's not breakfast time.

I also remember HAL permitting, until about 1992, personal liquor brought on and even allowed one to purchase it for in-room consumption at the on-board duty free shop, for a slight (15% if memory serves) premium--still a good bargain.

So the only reason that this is no longer permitted is profit margin.

Do you have an official HAL or CCL statement supporting this? Could you post it here or post a link?

If you are merely delving into the realm of speculation and stating your conclusions as fact, then I think some explanation is in order of why HAL allows certain things to be brought on board, such as soda and wine, without restrictions, which seem to eat into their profit margins. Please realize that some lines (according to other posters) restrict the amount of wine that anyone can bring aboard. Perhaps the profit margin isn't the only reason these policies have been implemented.

HAL has the right to make a profit and they certainly don't do so with their fares. Their main profit is alcohol and you came here wanting validation for breaking their rules.

So where did you get these tidbits of information? Citations, please.

To answer your inquiry. We previously just browsed on the lists for information,..never posted before...in fact felt a little intimidated...it seemed as if everyone but us had unlimited $$$ to spare...we did not know it sounded like a rant nor meant it to be taken that way??? Just a point of view...something to ponder...Plus we felt that people with less extra spending money (like Us... NOT "cheap skates" (a little demeaning YES???) just less fortunate in the pocket book) might need to know not everyone on Holland America is so wealthy that money is no object...no offense meant...I thank all those that understand & realize we all have different budgets...yet still can all be on the same boat..we will bring wine if that is "LEGAL" ???? and eliminate a shore excursion so we can "BUY" a few drinks on board...

As you have read here, there are many choices that each person makes according to what they can afford. Don't miss an excursion as those are lifetime memories. As you read the suggestions, take what works for you and don't worry about the rest. This is YOUR vacation. Many, many people save a lifetime for their trip and it really means something when they finally do it. This subject is filled with personal ideas that fit each person so take what works for you. You won't be graded.

I would suggest one thing: If you make your personal decision to do this or that, NEVER bring it up in a string with the word Booze in it. lol

Replying to CF Chuck, you are correct that I have no official knowledge that led me to my assumption/presumption that it is profit that is the driver of the change in policy referenced in mine. Indeed, from my post I thought it was pretty clear that it was my opinion, although I believe it is a reasonably informed one. When I have discussed this with 2 hotel managers over the years, they have indicated that I am correct. If you or anyone has another explanation, or believe there are other causes that led to the policy change, please share...

One error in my earlier post: I mixed up my decades. One could take on liquor and also buy it for in-cabin consumption at the on-board duty free shop until about 2002, and 1992 as I stated earlier. Mea culpa.

To the OP who found the Gladys Kravitz pictures, that was great! Brings back memories of that old show! Thanks,

Replying to CF Chuck, you are correct that I have no official knowledge that led me to my assumption/presumption that it is profit that is the driver of the change in policy referenced in mine. Indeed, from my post I thought it was pretty clear that it was my opinion, although I believe it is a reasonably informed one. When I have discussed this with 2 hotel managers over the years, they have indicated that I am correct. If you or anyone has another explanation, or believe there are other causes that led to the policy change, please share...

One error in my earlier post: I mixed up my decades. One could take on liquor and also buy it for in-cabin consumption at the on-board duty free shop until about 2002, and not 1992 as I stated earlier. Mea culpa.

To the OP who found the Gladys Kravitz pictures, that was great! Brings back memories of that old show! Thanks,

To answer your inquiry. We previously just browsed on the lists for information,..never posted before...in fact felt a little intimidated...it seemed as if everyone but us had unlimited $$$ to spare...

Not everyone that sails HAL or frequents this board has unlimited $$$. There are many that sail the cheap seats, and I'm one. I'd much rather cruise more frequently with a lower class cabin than go for the higher rent properties and cruise less frequently. This is a choice I have to make, and I am thankful that I have the choice.

On board, there's not, from my experience, a lot of class distinction that arises in the public areas.

BUT, if you are on a limited budget, I would encourage you to ensure that you do an adequate job of up front prep in terms of knowing the total predictable costs and budgeting a bit extra for what you don't know (and I'm not talking casino or bingo). It's easy to run a bill of shore excursions into the hundreds, so the better job you do in this area, the better prepared you'll be.

JUst make sure if its in your checked bag it wont break and spoil not only your clothes but a number of persons clothing below your bag. The best way is empty 20 oz. pepsi or coke bottles filled with your choice. Placed in the pockets of your cargo shorts. Just walk right on the ship. And have a picture taken. I like HAL too, but could care less how much money they make or loose. Plus bring some mixers.

Archived