Booze

txflyt

Look, HAL until 2002 allowed this practice. Now they have purported to limit it, but I suspect they know well that many, many passengers continue to bring on some liquor...at least from what I have heard from people on the ships. To that end I do not think that the "moral majority" on this topic on this board is representative of what actually takes place on board ship.

I think the reason they probably disallowed it is because their profit margins have been shrinking more and more each year. Because of all the ships out there ... bigger and bigger ships ... competition today is fierce to fill those cabins ... especially on "standard" type cruises to popular destinations, 7 to 10 days in length. If HAL wants to fill its ship for a Caribbean cruise, it has to compete with the ships of ten other cruise lines for those passengers. So, HAL has to keep the prices down, otherwise passengers will go to those other lines. Remember, there are a lot of cruisers who really have no particular loyalty to any one line. They just go where the price is lower while still giving them certain amenities.

For this reason, HAL is having to make do with a smaller and smaller profit margin. Because of that, they need to ensure onboard revenues can make up some of that shortfall, and a goodly part of onboard revenue comes from bar sales.

That's why I think HAL no longer permits liquor to be brought onboard. That's why one day, if bar revenues continue to shrink (and I can only assume they have been shrinking since HAL disallowed liquor to be brought onboard any longer), then I can well imagine them one day deciding to take a very hard line and disallow ANY beverages, including bottled water and soda, from being brought onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think the reason they probably disallowed it is because their profit margins have been shrinking more and more each year. Because of all the ships out there ... bigger and bigger ships ... competition today is fierce to fill those cabins ... especially on "standard" type cruises to popular destinations, 7 to 10 days in length. If HAL wants to fill its ship for a Caribbean cruise, it has to compete with the ships of ten other cruise lines for those passengers. So, HAL has to keep the prices down, otherwise passengers will go to those other lines. Remember, there are a lot of cruisers who really have no particular loyalty to any one line. They just go where the price is lower while still giving them certain amenities.

For this reason, HAL is having to make do with a smaller and smaller profit margin. Because of that, they need to ensure onboard revenues can make up some of that shortfall, and a goodly part of onboard revenue comes from bar sales.

That's why I think HAL no longer permits liquor to be brought onboard. That's why one day, if bar revenues continue to shrink (and I can only assume they have been shrinking since HAL disallowed liquor to be brought onboard any longer), then I can well imagine them one day deciding to take a very hard line and disallow ANY beverages, including bottled water and soda, from being brought onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It will be along the lines of going to an NFL football game or Fenway Park. You must purchase their sodas,beer,and pretzels. For they're in business to make money (what a concept)

besides all your provisions,you neglected to bring a few important items

Your own coffeee maker (the coffee on the ship tastes lousy)

your own coffe mugs (the ones on the ship are too small)

a cooler for your water and soda (just ask the room steward to fill it with ice everyday)

Have I missed anything?icon7.gif

No, but I consider the above to be part of the luxury cruise (other than the coffee maker). :o Having spent time in the military as well as a good number of years drinking dregs from vending machines, I have to admit that my ability to distinguish good coffee from bad has pretty much been extinguished. Throw a little bit of flavored Creamora into the brew and I'm in caffeine heaven, assuming an appropriately proportioned drinking vessel. :) Having a collapsable cooler is always a good idea. I'm generally kind to the room steward, going to the Lido to get my fill. The ice there is crushed, so it tends to work more quickly than the little cubies that come from room service. But before sleepy bye time, I do throw what is in the bucket (minus the melt) into the mix. :cool: I always bring a number of gallon slider plastic bags which can be used for quick chills (ice and salt) of wine or as doggie bags in case the munchies arise and I need quick relief (room service isn't the swiftest in the middle of the night and raiding the fridge isn't an option). :p

I do wish there was a more convenient way to travel with an appropriately sized coffee drinking vessel. I find the caraffes awkward, they're difficult to fill on the Lido, and doing so generates some strange looks. :D

They wont put you off the ship. They will take the liquor away and you might or might not get it back. I was that guy once.

I know that. :) I just don't remember reading anywhere that someone said one could get put off the ship.

I was gonna say that too. When your liquor is confiscated at the dock, you don't normally get it back. It's not like when you purchase liquor onboard and they hold it until the last day of the cruise. When you smuggle, you get caught ... you lose out totally.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I thought they kept it until the last night, whether on embarkation or in a port visited.

Ok but I've heard of people bringing on CASES of wine. That would be my supply for the rest of my life. That is a fair bit of money in HALs pocket. When people start complaining that people sneaking booze on is causing their fare to go up that's a bit of a reach. I'd be fine with a total ban of bringing liquor on board. Then you'd be seeing a lot of the same folks up in arms. Maybe my fare would be more reasonable.

I am sure lots of bottles from those cases end up in the dining room. That's $15 pure profit per bottle without having to keep it in inventory or chill it. :)

We don't drink that much so when we do, it has to be what each of us want.

I am kind of like that too. I will happily buy whatever...but I do love a wee bit of Hendricks Gin in the evening. I would happily bring enough to share!! I think that I may bring a small bottle and not hide it...but flaunt it openly. We'll see!!

No, but I consider the above to be part of the luxury cruise (other than the coffee maker). :o Having spent time in the military as well as a good number of years drinking dregs from vending machines, I have to admit that my ability to distinguish good coffee from bad has pretty much been extinguished. Throw a little bit of flavored Creamora into the brew and I'm in caffeine heaven, assuming an appropriately proportioned drinking vessel. :) Having a collapsable cooler is always a good idea. I'm generally kind to the room steward, going to the Lido to get my fill. The ice there is crushed, so it tends to work more quickly than the little cubies that come from room service. But before sleepy bye time, I do throw what is in the bucket (minus the melt) into the mix. :cool: I always bring a number of gallon slider plastic bags which can be used for quick chills (ice and salt) of wine or as doggie bags in case the munchies arise and I need quick relief (room service isn't the swiftest in the middle of the night and raiding the fridge isn't an option). :p

I do wish there was a more convenient way to travel with an appropriately sized coffee drinking vessel. I find the caraffes awkward, they're difficult to fill on the Lido, and doing so generates some strange looks. :D

You've almost passed the test. Your next mission is to head down to a tire store and drink some of that grey coffee that's been percolating since yesterday. A snow shovel of cremora won't budge it,it still stays grey?

Who cares?I slug it down anyway,and listen to the guy in the jumpsuits spiel about "All The Things My Car Needs" and how lucky I'll be if my car even makes it home?

I am sure lots of bottles from those cases end up in the dining room. That's $15 pure profit per bottle without having to keep it in inventory or chill it. :)

They will chill it if asked as part of the corkage fee. They will also bring an ice bucket to keep it in during dinner.

a cooler for your water and soda (just ask the room steward to fill it with ice everyday)

Actually, on Eurodam, the coffee mugs are bigger (taller) than we were used to. Hopefully that carries over to the rest of the dam fleet

That's why one day, if bar revenues continue to shrink (and I can only assume they have been shrinking since HAL disallowed liquor to be brought onboard any longer), then I can well imagine them one day deciding to take a very hard line and disallow ANY beverages, including bottled water and soda, from being brought onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

So be it. I'd welcome that rather then the hypocritical policy they have now and the people who feel it's defendable. Too strange:confused: .

Ok but I've heard of people bringing on CASES of wine. That would be my supply for the rest of my life.

1 case = 12 bottles = 12 days for 2 @ 2 glasses per day (roughly).

You can do whatever math you want from here. If I do the math, it doesn't look good unless there are LOTS of CASES. Don't you read the medical reports?:rolleyes:

1 case = 12 bottles = 12 days for 2 @ 2 glasses per day (roughly).

You can do whatever math you want from here. If I do the math, it doesn't look good unless there are LOTS of CASES. Don't you read the medical reports?:rolleyes:

That is why I said CASES.....and I always seem to hear it on 10 day cruises...so it's a bit worse then you are making it sound. Haven't they said that 1 glass every day has health benefits? More is not better. If I had a glass every day I don't think I'd be wanting to do anything but sleep:D .

We were in Cosumel on another line and my girlfriend and I shopped. The guys went shopping elsewhere. We met up and headed back to the ship. I placed my bag on the screening table as we all chatted and laughed over the day. The machine revealed something. My DH was oblivious. The security guy pointedly asked me "Do you have liquor in your bag?" I was embarrassed and I said "Absolutely not!" and gave him the "How dare you" look. He gave me a funny look back that said "LIAR" and waved me through.

We got to the cabin and I asked DH "Did you hear that Security guy?" He didn't hear him but when I explained what happened a guilty look spread across his face. He reached into his bag and pulled out a bottle of Tequila. Apparently he placed his bag ahead of mine but stood behind me, talking to his pal. Thanks a bunch darling. ;)

This was our last stop so he had no intention of opening the bottle and had he not already taste tested too many brands before buying perhaps he would have remembered to check it in instead of hanging me out on a limb. lol

That is why I said CASES.....and I always seem to hear it on 10 day cruises...so it's a bit worse then you are making it sound. Haven't they said that 1 glass every day has health benefits? More is not better. If I had a glass every day I don't think I'd be wanting to do anything but sleep:D .

I didn't know it was a 10 day cruise (did your post include that, if so I missed it) and I don't know how many are consuming (see the math lesson). So I don't know that it is worse than I am making it sound. I don't know who "they" is and it seems that the general consensus is for moderation, not excess or abstinence. As an example, here's a link that discusses the subject, there are a plethora of others if this one isn't to your liking:

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/wine-health.htm

I don't recall seeing any study reports that represent similar health benefits for beer or liquor (chime in if you have). Many of the reported disadvantages of soft drinks have been countered by sugar free offerings (making policing a difficult proposition). So, since there is so much speculation about HAL's motives about allowing wine, I'll add mine, they're looking out for our health and counting on each of us moderating. :) And I'm a happy camper. ;)

This responds to one of Kyros (Rita's) post a bit earlier. I do not believe that profits are shrinking, as you say. Happily so, as we all want HAL to continue to be profitable. But, don't take my word for it. Log on to CCL.com and check the recent financials of parent Carnival Corp. They are doing just fine, even in a slowing economy. Let us hope that CCL continues to do well.

What I fear most is the "commoditization" of the various Carnival lines, so that at some point HAL is the same as Princess and Costa, with only the high end line (Seabourn) having its own distinctiveness. HAL resisted the policy of restricting personal liquor until 2002 while it had already been in place earlier on Princess and other lines, Carnival subsidiaries and others.

Keep in mind also that folks have lots of choices for their hard-earned vacation dollars. Crusing is just one choice. If the rules become too onerous, people--including this happy cruiser, for we do enjoy it--will cruise less and decamp for the high end land resorts, which are true "all-inclusives" and without the restrictions or rules on board. I think the cruiselines know this and that is why they tread softly on this issue.

Again, those who want to strictly adhere to the rules, great; for us "rebels with a cause", well, we will do as we see fit and, if we encounter trouble, then we have to accept our personal responsibility for same.

That's why one day, if bar revenues continue to shrink (and I can only assume they have been shrinking since HAL disallowed liquor to be brought onboard any longer), then I can well imagine them one day deciding to take a very hard line and disallow ANY beverages, including bottled water and soda, from being brought onboard.

I would have a real problem if they disallowed bottled water. What they offer is way too large for a morning excursion, I can get by with half that with no problem and would prefer to lug the traditional touristy stuff like cameras, souveniers, T shirts, binoculars, etc.. Do you think they'll also disallow empty plastic bottles? I suppose I could drink (or save) half of one of theirs and tote the rest. That works, eh? I guess I solved my problem. Lido, here I come, I need 4 water glasses to save the contents of half a bottle of water. I'll bring a small funnel and leave a note for the cabin steward.

There's a very troubling trend in the institution of the alcohol policy now in force since 2002. Prior to the time the policy was implemented, the number of pax and crew that went overboard was fairly low. After the institution of the policy, the number of overboard incidents has grown for CCL and peaked at 11 in 2005 and 2007. From 2000 - 2002 HAL had no overboard incidents. The first year after implementation, HAL had 2 incidents and has 2 in subsequent years up to now.:confused:

Figures lie and liars figure. Go figure. :D

I don't think you could find a good correlation between the liquor policy changes and the number of people that have gone overboard, statistically speaking.

You forgot the blender for making pina coladas and margaritas.

How about trying to make up for those early years when there was no glass of wine per day? ;)

What I fear most is the "commoditization" of the various Carnival lines, so that at some point HAL is the same as Princess and Costa, with only the high end line (Seabourn) having its own distinctiveness. HAL resisted the policy of restricting personal liquor until 2002 while it had already been in place earlier on Princess and other lines, Carnival subsidiaries and others.

Currently Princess doesn't allow alcohol either. When we sailed with them 2007 they only allowed one bottle of wine or champagne per cabin.

Currently Princess doesn't allow alcohol either. When we sailed with them 2007 they only allowed one bottle of wine or champagne per cabin.

People couldn't carry their wine. They were too bogged down dragging their egg crate mattresses aboard. Sounds like camping.. without the Goldbond.

Archived