Diving on this itinerary

MoneyGuy

These is our cruise itinerary. I've heard that Belize has spectacular diving. Where do folks recommend I go diving?

New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Curacao; Hamilton; Boston

Curacao would be my first choice both for the high quality of diving and the ease of making dive arrangements other than the ship's excursion. Check out http://www.the-dive-bus.com

Belize would be my second choice. It is much more difficult logistally to arrange your own dives here which makes the high priced ship's excursion a little more attractive.

There is some really good wreck diving in Bermuda, but the water temps there are noticably cooler there.

Bruce, somehow I had a feeling you'd be the first to reply. Good job. I should have mentioned that I'm a fairly novice diver, certified but not experienced so I don't want technical diving. I'll check out your leads. any further advice recommended. Thanks, Bruce, you've guided me before.

Bruce, somehow I had a feeling you'd be the first to reply. Good job. I should have mentioned that I'm a fairly novice diver, certified but not experienced so I don't want technical diving. I'll check out your leads. any further advice recommended. Thanks, Bruce, you've guided me before.

The Dive Bus is a good choice for any level of diver. I only have 3 dozen dives and most in the Caribbean. I went with The Dive Bus and had a great time. They took us out to a place just south of where the cruise shore excursion went. A great bunch of people, same dive location, less rushed and for less money. You just cannot beat it. Mark and Suzy are a hoot. One tip, bring a little extra cash. There is a local restaurant attached to the dive shop and the fish and chips are really good. :) Also, bring cash; the phone connection is flakey and credit card/debit machines are not very reliable.

Finally, set the price for the cab (you'll need to get your own cab) before you leave.

These is our cruise itinerary. I've heard that Belize has spectacular diving. Where do folks recommend I go diving?

New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Curacao; Hamilton; Boston

Hi for Hamilton Bermuda I suggest Blue water divers. They have a shore diving facility at Elbow Beach Resort (3 min. taxi from Hamilton) but you need a dive buddy or hire a guide, or they also have morning/afternoon boat dives (check with them as the location where they depart changes periodically). Great shallow diving (40 ft. or less) with lots of swim throughs and canyons (the reefs in Bermuda are fringing reefs).

Randall

Does the Dive Boat offer both boat and shore diving? I've never done shore diving, only boat dives. If they offer shore diving, how is that? I like the boat dives but don't mind wading into my dive site either. How is shore diving?

Does the Dive Boat offer both boat and shore diving? I've never done shore diving, only boat dives. If they offer shore diving, how is that? I like the boat dives but don't mind wading into my dive site either. How is shore diving?

Hi,

Nope, boat diving is boat diving and shore diving is shore diving.... :) I've actually done both in Bermuda and have to say I like the shore diving better. While the entry can be tough through the waves sometimes, you have more freedom to swim around and to be honest, the farthest out we shore dived is where we began on the boat dive. Of course if you can get someone to dive with you the cost, minus equipment rental is free plus you decide when you want to dive. Boat diving gets you a buddy but you're restricted to times and locations (btw, the cost of hiring a guide at their Elbow Beach Resort was less than the boat dive but I only did one tank). You can see some pictures from Bermuda at my website: http://www.randallgamby.com. Let me know if you have other questions.

Randall

The Dive Bus does shore diving. I had never done shore diving before going to The Dive Bus. I told them I've never done a shore dive before and they were great about it. The only thing I regret is taking my warm water fins. Wading in with the fins on is not recommend. There is a bit of a drop near the shore and it would be difficult if not dangerous to wade out with fins on.

The recommended approach is to walk out with fins in hand. Your dive buddy will act as a leaning post while you get your fins on. Walking out bare foot was a little hard on the feet. It is not all soft sand and occasional rock hurt, especially with all that gear on. So, if you have them, bring cold water (or open heel) fins and wear neoprene boots. If you don't have any, rent fins from The Dive Bus.

P.S. the guys who went on the cruise ship shore excursion told me they did a shore dive in Curacao as well.

Oops, sorry, didn't realize Dive Boat was a dive center.... :p What I referred to was shore/boat diving in Hamilton. :)

r

We second Bruce's recomendations. Whatever you do, don't miss Curacao.

I add my vote to the recommendation to the Dive Bus. The shore dive was a great experience, Mark is an wonder dive master and the reef is awesome.

• 1 month later...

Archived