Help me with where to stay that is couple hours from Tampa

Steve3589

I'm thinking maybe we should stay about 2 hours from Tampa and drive the rest the morning of the cruise. If we drive all the way to Tampa, it would put us there right around rush hour, google maps say 9.5 hours from NC. I'm sure we will all (10, 6 and 2 year old) be cranky after driving about 10+ hours. So looking to stay maybe couple hours away and then drive the rest the next day.

Looks like Orlando is 2 hours away from Tampa, but are there any other places anyone can recommend??

Thanks

Not what you asked, but wouldn't driving to the Tampa/Rocky Point area be an option?? A tad further than you'd like, but the hotels are reasonable and you are then only 6 miles from the pier. Many of these hotels also offer a reasonable drive/cruise package, where you can leave the car there, and they will 'shuttle' you and the family to and from the pier!:p

Fact: I'd much rather have a good place to leave the car, and be shuttled to the pier, than driving 2 extra hours in the AM and risk accidents etc on the highway... One never knows!! Just IMHO! Good luck!!:D

Personally I think STIRBOO gave you good advice about going to Rocky Point,, but if you need to stop north of Tampa, Ocala, Fl. is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs north on I-75 and there are numerous hotels right on the Interstate at low prices. Just about every low to mid priced chain hotel is there.

Good luck,

Mark

You would be coming into Tampa in the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic so its not to bad. It all depends on where you stay in Tampa as to traffic in that neighborhood. If you stay at Rocky Point I believe you would be in pretty good shape.

Personally I think STIRBOO gave you good advice about going to Rocky Point,, but if you need to stop north of Tampa, Ocala, Fl. is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs north on I-75 and there are numerous hotels right on the Interstate at low prices. Just about every low to mid priced chain hotel is there.

We're going to call it a night in Ocala and leave about 2 hours and change in the morning--we're early risers--for our December cruise from Canaveral and we've booked the Holiday Inn Ocala at exit 350. Don't usually stay in Holiday Inns but saw a very nice write up on this boutique style, relatively new property.

As for leaving a couple hours in the morning, we've done that about 5 times, for us it has been in the Jax area on the way to Canaveral, when leaving after work and after ATL traffic died down, so that we were pulling into Jax around 1 am. Never had a problem in the AM, but of course there are no guarantees, and i've driven all the way to canaveral almost as often as I've stopped in Jax. So good luck in Ocala if you make that choice.

The "rush hour" traffic flows IN to Tampa in the mornings, OUT of Tampa in the afternoons. It is nonexistent on most weekends - strictly a "work" related rush hour other than with a couple of weekend events in a year.

In the morning, it starts slowing down around 7am & is wrapped up by around 9 am. In the afternoons, it starts up around 4 & is bad until around 6.

If you're coming into Tampa from the north, expect some slowdowns in the morning if it's a work day. If you drive all the way in during the afternoon/evening, you'll likely have no backup problems until you get close to downtown. You will probably have some slow going from the downtown area out to Rocky Point if you stay there (quite a few workers commute to the downtown area from St Pete & Clearwater areas, so it backs up near the bridges when they head home at the end of the workday).

Steve, which way would you be coming down - on I-75 or I-95?

As others mentioned, if you're coming down 75 Ocala or Gainssville are probably your better choices. Lots of lodging & chain restaurant choices. Just know that if you're coming in to Tampa in the am from there, you'll have some slowdowns on a weekday morning.

Think we might stay at Daytona Beach, we would love to have an ocean front room and a walk on the beach after a long drive. Is this a wise choice? Never been to Daytona, is this a nice beach or does anyone recommend another beach that is about 2 hours from Tampa and not out of the way,we would be going down on I95.

Also, anyone have any hotels that you recommend?

Thanks

Think we might stay at Daytona Beach, we would love to have an ocean front room and a walk on the beach after a long drive. Is this a wise choice? Never been to Daytona, is this a nice beach or does anyone recommend another beach that is about 2 hours from Tampa and not out of the way,we would be going down on I95.

Thanks

If you will be going I-4 from Daytona Beach to Tampa beware of all the traffic tie ups that occur around downtown Orlando and WDW. Those could add a significant amount of time to your 2 hours.

Thanks

Perrys is a nice family-friendly place. It's not at all fancy, but is clean & comfortable. They run a lot of little games & programs geared towards kids, and it generally has a "tame" atmosphere (i.e. no loud/drunk college kids on spring break keeping you up all night).

As mentioned, if you stay there you'll have to skirt traffic in Orlando, at Disney, and coming in to Tampa. It's much better than it once was as they've completed most of the construction projects coming across I4.

Archived