Ft. Lauderdale Things to Do w Kids

KandMGIn

Ok...who knows what time we will get off the ship...but we come in on a Monday on the EOS and do not fly out until 6:50pm. So...we do not have to be to the airport until 4:00pm.

Can anyone tell me where we can go. We are looking for one place as to keep costs down and would like to be able to spend 5 hours there with a 6 and 7 year old. An aquarium or the likes would be good.

When we were there we went to both the Science and Discovery center (made for kids) and to Butterfly World. Both were a hit with my then 2 year old -- we also had an 8, 10 and 13 yo with us at Butterfly World who enjoyed it. I would say the Science and Discovery Center is a lot of fun and geared truly for kids from 5 to 10 (although my toddler loved it...)

Also, the Science Center is right downtown whereas Butterfly world is a little farther out.

HTH.

We happened upon a really neat restaurant next to our hotel called "Dave and Busters" its a few minutes from the airport and seaport.

Its a huge video game/arcade/play center. Sort of like a school age child's chuck e cheese!!! They have great food and its huge. All the kids in our party loved it. I think at night it becomes moe of an adult bar type setting but during the day, it was all kids. It could definitely keep your kids occupied for a few hours

http://www.daveandbusters.com

Living in South Florida we are lucky to visit all of these.

They are all great choices.

Wanado is a little bit of a drive but well worth it. It is a kids city and they work and get paid. They then may spend their money on fun things. All the while learning about all kinds of careers. Inside and very cold air condition!

Science and Discovery is closest to port and a lot of fun too. You can even walk a couple blocks to Los Olas and River front for a bite to eat on the water (river not ocean).

Butterfly world is interesting but also a bit of a drive. It would be my last choice.

Dave and Busters is the bomb but most likely your most expensive option. It is a game room like you have never seen. Food is good.....this is in no way a chuckie cheese. Adults go with out kids for fun.

Bayside in Miami is nice. It is an outside mall on the bay by Port of Miami and has a kids entertainment area. 25 minute drive.

Miami Zoo is 30 minutes away. Very nice zoo and cheap.

Miami Sea Aqurium is 30 minutes away. It is a small version of a sea world with out rides.

There are no Aquiriums around here. South Florida needs one.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

We docked in Miami a few weeks ago and went to Jungle Island which has lots of animals, animal shows and animal interaction. It's probably about 35 minutes from Fort Lauderdale. Our kids really enjoyed it. I would say you could do a few hours there, and also have lunch.

Wannado seems very interesting but a bit expensive. What do you mean they "work" for money...hehe...sounds odd!

It is a working city that the kids run. They have 15-30 minute stations where the kids work as doctors, nurses, vets, police, firefighters, models, judge, mayor,reporter, pilots, and MUCH MORE! After completion of each job they are paid in wanado bucks. They can take their money to the bank and get an ATM card or just hold on to their money. They then can use it to ride rides in the carnival, buy/make jewlery, climb the wall, become a candy maker at the wonka factory and a few other things. It is fun and teaches them at the same time.

The kids love it! It is a small city built indoors and they have these wrist bands and stations to track your kids through out the park. It is worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my then three-year old son there while we were visiting friends in the area last Xmas. Children can chose from a number of different jobs/activities. They can be a fireman (my son loved that), a model on the runway, a worker or a shopper in a store, or vet, for example (those are the ones I remember). I have a wonderful picture of him dressed up as a fireman from there.

We also had my 11-year old niece with us who liked it a lot too. So one of the good things about it is that it works for kids who are different ages. On the negative side, however, it is not cheap, and I don't think it is that close to the port/airport. I would not recommend going unless you have a good chunk of time--probably most of the day. If you only have a few hours before your flight for example, I don't think it would be worthwhile in light of the expense, the drive and the aggravation of having to drag your kids out of there.

Ginger

We happened upon a really neat restaurant next to our hotel called "Dave and Busters" its a few minutes from the airport and seaport.

Its a huge video game/arcade/play center. Sort of like a school age child's chuck e cheese!!! They have great food and its huge. All the kids in our party loved it. I think at night it becomes moe of an adult bar type setting but during the day, it was all kids. It could definitely keep your kids occupied for a few hours

www.daveandbusters.com

Dave ad Busters is fun, but it can also get very expensive. ;)

Archived