Good Italian Restaurant in New York

benvan2

I second Becco... we have been there! (You may need reserv.) A++

Also, Carmines... just right near Times Square.. very good.

Patsy's.. never been... but supposed to be good too!

I am Italian... so we cook Italian food at home...but these are right up there.

Becco is very good and expensive. Carmines is loud, loud loud, but the food is good. I like Tony Di Napoli which has the same food as Carmines but in a quiter atmosphere. Not to be missed is the French, La Rivage on 46TH street. Really good.

Not sure if Carmines takes reservations for two people.

We were there for a matinée lunch and the wait was 45 minutes. I know that at dinner time then can get quite busy. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the last time we had dinner there we did have a reservation. A phone call will answer the question.

My vote is for Tony's DiNapoli. It's family style, and it's awesome. We've been there several times and have never been disappointed. Matter of fact, we'll have to do a post cruise dinner there! Get a reservation though, unless you want to hang out and wait.

I also suggest Tony's DiNapoli on $3rd and Broadway. Less expensive than Carmines, you don't need a reservation (although having one will get you seated quicker) and the food is fantastic.

They also have great lunch specials for $9.95!

John's Pizzeria is also great.

We currently live in Connecticut, but lived in Manhattan (Grammery Park area) for fifteen years during the seventies and eighties.

Most of the Italian Restaurants in the Times Square Area/Theater District are tourist traps that are more expensive and not nearily as good as the ones you will find in nearby upscale residential areas such as Murray Hill or Grammery Park.

Since it has been a few years since we had dinner at an Italian restaurant in Manhattan I am reluctant to recommend ones we have enjoyed in the past, but I think it is a good idea to check a recent Zagat's for an Itallian restaurant in one of the areas I mentioned.

I live in the Gramercy Park area, but still go to John's Pizzeria. The one in the Times Square area is the best. Tony Dinapoli's and Carmine's are good too, especially if with a group. I wouldn't go there with just two or three people. If staying in the Times Square area for just one night, then a restaurant there would be perfect.

If the OP wants to leave the area, there is always John's of 12th on 12th Street in the East Village. Yummy and very reasonable. And of course for anyone who has ever lived in the Gramercy Area, Capucine's.

I live in the Gramercy Park area, but still go to John's Pizzeria. The one in the Times Square area is the best. Tony Dinapoli's and Carmine's are good too, especially if with a group. I wouldn't go there with just two or three people. If staying in the Times Square area for just one night, then a restaurant there would be perfect.

If the OP wants to leave the area, there is always John's of 12th on 12th Street in the East Village. Yummy and very reasonable. And of course for anyone who has ever lived in the Gramercy Area, Capucine's.

Hi namegame :)

Are you referring to the Capucine's on the corner of 2nd Ave and 19th Street? If so, I didn't realize it was still there. That was one of our favorite restaurants when we lived in the city.

John's is pretty good, near you, and not that expensive.. just make sure you all want pizza, no slices!

Although my main vote would be to go down to little italy...

Pellegrino's

Da Nico

Paesano's

They are all pretty good and walk over to La Bella Ferrara(near Canal) This is the best pastry/bakery!! I live in queens and make trips into the city when we have guests over to pick up Anisette and Cannolis.

Archived