Saint John, NB River Boat Tour

Travelling to Saint John, NB on the Carnival Victory. One of the excursions is a tour on the Saint John River on a former Mississippi Paddelboat. Any one taken this tour, and if so, what you thought of it.

Travelling to Saint John, NB on the Carnival Victory. One of the excursions is a tour on the Saint John River on a former Mississippi Paddelboat. Any one taken this tour, and if so, what you thought of it.

I have not taken the tour but I spent many years boating on the St. John River. (The river spelling is an abbrevbiated "St." while the city has the "Saint" spelled out to avoid confusion with St. John's, Nfld..)

The St. John River has very lovely scenery and is very peaceful. If you look closely you can spot eagles and osprey flying over the treetops on the riverbank. I live overlooking the Kennebecasis River and often see the paddleboat making its way up that river, so I rather suspect that they go up the St. John until they come to the Kennebecasis and turn in there to avoid Grand Bay, which can get very rough. The Kennebecasis is equally lovely with regard to scenery.

Will let you on after Friday,July 25. As the Meet and Greet volunteers are taking this tour. I am a volunteer wiht the M&G er's.

Could you let me know what you like of the Legend...we are sailing on her this Dec. Thank's

Will let you on after Friday,July 25. As the Meet and Greet volunteers are taking this tour. I am a volunteer wiht the M&G er's.

Could you let me know what you like of the Legend...we are sailing on her this Dec. Thank's

Looking forward to your response on the River Tour.

As for the Legend, we thoroughly, enjoyed it. The staff were very accomodating. It was more casual than the other cruiselines, as this was our 1st use of Carnival. Our AFT corner balcony stateroom was fabulous.

The only minor complaints that I noticed, was the fact that the smaller lounges were for smokers. AS a non-smoker, we couldn't utilize them for the evening entertainment that was available. Another item was that if you were in your stateroom, and an announcement was made on the general P.A. system, you could not hear it while inside. Youi knew there was one being made, as the TV sound cut off. I asked our room steward why it wasn't available, even with a dimmer switch, and she said that at one time Carnival had it piped into the rooms, and too mamy people complained. Lastly, the ship has a Supper Club. Although the ambience and atmosphere was great, my meal was disappointing.

Plenty of activities, in fact we won the last Bingo of the cruise, and that's why we're on this one. It was a free cruise for 2. If you're going out of Tampa, which we did, the terminal is great. Easy embarkation. All in all, it was such a pleasant time, that it sold us on Carnival. :)

We did the Saint John river cruise with Princess last fall. They billed it as the Rhine of North America. This is the review that I wrote at the time:

In Saint John we took the Saint John River Boat Ride. This is booked as the Rhine of North America. It was very nice, but hardly the Rhine. There were a few sights to see along the way, but as the foliage had not quite started to change, nature's rainbow of colors was absent. Our guides Doreen and Don provided commentary on the various sights on the banks of the river. We also got to sing "On River Saint John", all that was lacking was a harmonica or accordian. Following the cruise we went to the Reversing Rapids. In a town like Saint John, this is a major attraction. The pictures are on Webshots.

Saint John is not exactly excitement central, but it is quaint.

Have a great cruise.

Bon Voyage

Looking forward to your response on the River Tour.

As for the Legend, we thoroughly, enjoyed it. The staff were very accomodating. It was more casual than the other cruiselines, as this was our 1st use of Carnival. Our AFT corner balcony stateroom was fabulous.

The only minor complaints that I noticed, was the fact that the smaller lounges were for smokers. AS a non-smoker, we couldn't utilize them for the evening entertainment that was available. Another item was that if you were in your stateroom, and an announcement was made on the general P.A. system, you could not hear it while inside. Youi knew there was one being made, as the TV sound cut off. I asked our room steward why it wasn't available, even with a dimmer switch, and she said that at one time Carnival had it piped into the rooms, and too mamy people complained. Lastly, the ship has a Supper Club. Although the ambience and atmosphere was great, my meal was disappointing.

Plenty of activities, in fact we won the last Bingo of the cruise, and that's why we're on this one. It was a free cruise for 2. If you're going out of Tampa, which we did, the terminal is great. Easy embarkation. All in all, it was such a pleasant time, that it sold us on Carnival. :)

Thanks for the tips...we are also in an aft suite.....we have sailed on Princess a number of times..they have the same problem re-announcements, but you can get it on the TV..if you are fast enough:rolleyes: .....will post late Friday with photos...I hope:)

Can this tour on the MV Voyager be purchased locally when we get there? If so, does anybody have a website? Also the cost?

Thanks

Try www.sjmarina.ca

The marina is about a seven minute drive from the port.

You can contact them and see if the cruise ship monopolizes the tour while in port or if you can book on your own.

The tour that we where taken on was not the one that "crusieship" passengers" go on......they did that last year......:rolleyes: from what I was told it was very good......I talked to the captain and the young lady that handed out soft drinks and asked questions......I was told that that is a guide explaining where you are and what you are about to see....tour leaves from "Indian Town" for cruiseship passengers.....you go by a coverded bridge...the captain takes the ship as close to the reversing falls as he can....go by the oldest yacht...RKY(5 walking minutes from where I live) on the Seal Bay ...where you may see some seals ....and on to a place where Eagles has been spoted......we saw one flying past....I was not fast enough to catch a photo of it....it is very relaxing and if it rains...you can still see everything...there is two levels to the ship and has a very clean washroom...one for men and one for women.

There is a bar...but it depends on the tour as to if the bar a free or a cash bar......but sodas/water are free along with coffee and donuts.

But do check out the wed site that "sapper1" posted.

if there anymore questions....ask away:D

The tour that we where taken on was not the one that "crusieship" passengers" go on......they did that last year......:rolleyes: from what I was told it was very good......I talked to the captain and the young lady that handed out soft drinks and asked questions......I was told that that is a guide explaining where you are and what you are about to see....tour leaves from "Indian Town" for cruiseship passengers.....you go by a coverded bridge...the captain takes the ship as close to the reversing falls as he can....go by the oldest yacht...RKY(5 walking minutes from where I live) on the Seal Bay ...where you may see some seals ....and on to a place where Eagles has been spoted......we saw one flying past....I was not fast enough to catch a photo of it....it is very relaxing and if it rains...you can still see everything...there is two levels to the ship and has a very clean washroom...one for men and one for women.

There is a bar...but it depends on the tour as to if the bar a free or a cash bar......but sodas/water are free along with coffee and donuts.

But do check out the wed site that "sapper1" posted.

if there anymore questions....ask away:D

Thanx for your response. Sounds good to me. Any preference to top or bottom? Anything else in St. John we should see near the pier. We'll still have a few hours besides the River tour. Any suggestions for lunch near the cruise pier?

Thanx for your response. Sounds good to me. Any preference to top or bottom? Anything else in St. John we should see near the pier. We'll still have a few hours besides the River tour. Any suggestions for lunch near the cruise pier?

Lunch at Steamers or Billys Seafood or Grannan's or Vitos(Italian/Greek)..the Museum...the City Market( to get locally made wine's and crafts...etc) Uptown Saint John is mostly made up of locally owned and operated businesses....all malls are out east..with Sears...Wal-mart..box stores etc.

as for the boat...you are free to walk around

Hope that this helps......are you going to be here August 25, 2008??~~!!....if so you are the only ship in port.,,and I am not working this ship...the other team is.

Lunch at Steamers or Billys Seafood or Grannan's or Vitos(Italian/Greek)..the Museum...the City Market( to get locally made wine's and crafts...etc) Uptown Saint John is mostly made up of locally owned and operated businesses....all malls are out east..with Sears...Wal-mart..box stores etc.

as for the boat...you are free to walk around

Hope that this helps......are you going to be here August 25, 2008??~~!!....if so you are the only ship in port.,,and I am not working this ship...the other team is.

Yes, we will be in St. John on 8/25. Thanx for your assistance

Archived