Norfolk/Oct 2008/ Hotels w/ parking & shuttle?

patrickc

We plan to spend some time in Williamsburg, but thinking about heading a little closer to the port to spend night prior-- and leave our car for the week. Anyone familiar w/ the Best Western on the Chesapeake Bay? I saw an old thread that says free parking/shuttle for Holland America. Any other thoughts/ ideas? We're trying Norfolk (live in Baltimore- but RCCL so expensive this fall.... looking forward to more options in BMore next year).

thanks

Can't give you any info on Best Western, but last year (and will again this year) we stayed at the Radisson on Monticello in Norfolk. Rate was $169/night and included parking and shuttle service to and from the pier. It is close to MacArthur Mall, and you can walk to Nauticus and good restaurants and the Chrysler Museum. There was some debate on a thread about this being in a "questionable" location. We didn't have any problems leaving our car or walking to and from places downtown. BTW, if you want a fantastic meal in Williamsburg, try the Fat Canary located right down town in Merchants Square. It's our favorite place and always excellent. You probably will need reservations, however. If you have any questions about Williamsburg, I live here, so let me know and I'll be happy to pass along whatever info I can.

Janet

Sheraton, Waterside has a cruise/park package for $154.00 plus tax. Parking is secure from what I understand and they will shuttle you to and from the ship. We have stayed at the Radisson in the past and had no problems. From my research the Sheraton did get better reviews and is within walking distance to the pier.

HTH

Laine

I checked into the Sheraton package (several weeks ago)but was told there was no availability for the date I wanted. Apparently they only set aside a certain number of rooms for this package. We've stayed at the Radisson in the past and it was fine, but the Sheraton is closer to Waterside.

We plan to spend some time in Williamsburg, but thinking about heading a little closer to the port to spend night prior-- and leave our car for the week. Anyone familiar w/ the Best Western on the Chesapeake Bay? I saw an old thread that says free parking/shuttle for Holland America. Any other thoughts/ ideas? We're trying Norfolk (live in Baltimore- but RCCL so expensive this fall.... looking forward to more options in BMore next year).

thanks

I have not stayed at the Best Western but I know of it and have heard good things, and live not too far from there. It is about as far from the cruise terminal as you can get and still be in Norfolk. That said, Norfolk is not that big.

In Williamsburg there are some great restaurants, Fat Canary being one (named after the wine, not the bird), but The Trellis is IMO one of the best on the coast (right across the street from the Canary).http://www.thetrellis.com/

Try 'em both.

Cheers

Mark

We stayed a the Best Western. I think in 2006. It has a great view of the Bay Bridge tunnel so you can see your ship arriving. Which was great for us since the Maasdam was having engine trouble and arrived late. The problem was it's about 25 minutes from the port. Back then it was $99 a night. It was a great deal. It was also off season. If I sailed out of Norfolk again I think I'd rather be closer to the port. The shuttle coudn't handle all of us on the return trip and I waited (in the cold) with our luggage for the second trip an hour later. But if you've got kids then the Best Western might be good for you, it sits right on the beach. Call them and see what they have.

Archived