Questions about a Christmas Cruise

Just got off the Majesty, and we are now planning on a Christmas Cruise. So, a few questions. Date wise, for our kids to both be out of school/university, we have the choice of either Majesty again, Grandeur or Monarch. If you had your pick, which one would you choose, and why. Also, I know they decorate, etc. but what about music? Do they play and sing religious Christmas carols, or just secular ones? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The decorations we saw onboard were more or less generic...gingerbread villages, decorated trees, garlands with ribbons, and poinsettia plants. The music was the same (I don't recall hearing religious carols, just typical seasonal ones).

As far as the ship goes, I would choose according to the itinerary. Have a great cruise!!!! :)

There is Christmas caroling on Christmas Eve and even a reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". There are religious services to go to if you wish. Santa comes on Christmas morning and all the kids (Big and Little) can go and sit on his lap and he gives each one a very nice gift. You'll find egg nog every where. The decorations are gorgeous. We've been on two Holiday cruises and have two more booked. It's not for everyone, but it is perfect for us.

On our Christmas cruise with RCCL there were a lot of Hannakuh celebrations and decorations, but no mention of Christmas services. I have no problem with people celebrating as they believe so please don't flame me! But that being said, I believe there should have been a Christian service as well as the Jewish ones. We finally found that a minister and his family were having a service Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in a small room down in the bottem of the ship -- no decorations, we sang a capella, and we had to ask about it. There was nothing in the compass or announcements. You might want to check when Hannakuh is being celebrated and take your Bible and/or hymnal if a Christian religious service is important to you.

Santa gives all the children gifts and we recieved gifts in our stateroom (we had a suite) I have found that it works best to open gifts before the cruise, but I always pick up a few little things in the ports before Christmas including a bag or tote to put things in and replace stockings with them Christmas Eve.

Jakie

The type of services offered depends on whether a rabbi, priest, minister etc. (or all or none of the above) is on board to provide it.

RC doesn't give Christmas gifts to the adults any more - just the kids.

We enjoy the carolling in the centrum! So much that we are doing another holiday cruise next year :)

We have done two holiday cruises over Christmas break. It is the only time now that we are all home at one time (don't like to cruise over the summer - we love New England this time of year). The ships are decorated and you can celebrate the season as much or as little as you want. I would suggest the Monarch, we have taken both of our cruises on the Voyager class, and there are tons of activities for teens/young adults to do.

It is a great time to cruise as a family because there are tons of families on board.

My DH and I will be going on our 8th Shristmas cruise. Yup, we love to get away from cold Minnesota! Also to avoid our big families (He is one of 12- enough said.)

Choose where you want to go- to me most ships are similar- but do your reserach too. Go on RCCL's web site- they show the ships and that can help you decide.

We have sailed many different ships at Christmas- all are beautifully decorated- lots of music- ALL sorts of Christmas music. I particualrly enjoyed the Captain on the PA saying that radar caught soething on radar..... Yup, a small sleigh is now detected.... Seeing the children follow Santa was really fun- RCCL does a great job with the little ones! (We don't have kids and have cruise almost all the lines at Christmas.)

Christmas services Catholic and nondenominational have been offered on every ship I've been on. I know there are Hannauka(spelling! sorry!) services too.

Have a great time! Merry Christmas a bit early!

Gabrielle

Archived