Need ideas to make 1st cruise special

Athena1026

Hey all,

Ok we have a group of 14 going on the MSC Orchestra in April. Only 5 are season cruisers, 9 are cruise virgins, 3 couple with anniversaries, and one birthday during the trip. So lots of reasons to celebrate. 3 - Non drinkers, 5 kids 8-12 yrs, 2 seniors, 3 that can be wet blankets. All will have fun...

I just want to do a little something to loosen everyone up, get them geared for adventure, celebrate the vacation, etc.

I'd like to do a little something special(especially for the newbies). Any ideas?

For the night before the cruise are you all going to stay at the same hotel? You could all go for dinner and/or drinks the night before to start the kick off for your big vacation.

Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to celebrate! You're all going to have a blast!

Check whether "free" CDs describing the ship is available from the cruise line. Get a bunch of those if available -- ask the agency that did the booking to get it for you. Get brochures which describe the ship. And give it to all in the group.

Athena1026

Thats when we are going! When in April? We're going on the 4th....if thats your date you can join our roll call and that alone can be a lot of fun getting to know new people before you even leave.

First cruises always are special....there is nothing like your first. If you let MSC or your TA know about the days to celebrate the ship maybe able to help you out with as little as a celebratory song to a cake to gifts that you can purchase for the occassions (it use to be the cake would be complimentary but thats gone the way of the dinosaur for most of the cruiselines; I don't know about the upscale lines)

The shore excursion idea sounds like a winner....maybe with some help from your TA or MSC themselves you could arrange a get to know the ship scavenger hunt....just an Idea

Whenever you cruise, to wherever you cruise....Have a GREAT TIME!

Andy

For the night before the cruise are you all going to stay at the same hotel? You could all go for dinner and/or drinks the night before to start the kick off for your big vacation.

Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to celebrate! You're all going to have a blast!

No hotel...We all live in Fl. Ocala and orlando areas. my father will be coming off 3rd shift the morning we leave. YUCK!

I'm trying to think of little things ... one to give over the LOOOONG WAAIIT to keep everyone jazzed. And little Welcome aboard, let's get the party stared, gift bag or something.

Check whether "free" CDs describing the ship is available from the cruise line. Get a bunch of those if available -- ask the agency that did the booking to get it for you. Get brochures which describe the ship. And give it to all in the group.

SOOO TOTALLY WOULD NEVER HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT! THANKS!

-Sandy

Athena1026

Thats when we are going! When in April? We're going on the 4th....if thats your date you can join our roll call and that alone can be a lot of fun getting to know new people before you even leave.

April 18th. Thanks for the tip. I'll check w/the TA!

-sandy

I send out regular emails with info about the ports - or shore excursions - or the weather. I talk about the ship. Just to keep everyone thinking.

For our group we make up t-shirts for everyone and the rule is we where it when we get on the ship and at our private party. We always have a private party where everyone gets together for 1 hour and drinks and talks and laughs. For the non drinkers the kids get to order virgin foo-foo drinks that they couldn't order on their own and try them. Same for the adults too, actually. They tried new ones.

I make up business cards with all the room numbers and phone numbers so everyone can find each other.

I keep track of who's going on what excursion so that if someone wants to go but the spouse doesn't they can go together. For the kids I pre-order teddy bears from the gift shop so they can have a special cruise present. Now, when I say kids, my DS was 21 and I didn't get him one. He was sad... LOL, had to go buy him one since it was family tradition.

I bring balloons for the little ones, they can play with them AND find their room. My GS wouldn't go into his room last time cos the balloon had fallen down and he just knew that wasn't his room. Had to distract and replace under emergency circumstances.

My sister organized a "Bon Voyage" party at her house about a week or two before the cruise. She played a few cruise/type games. Had slots on the computer and gave out a few dollars to the big winners. She had a kids pool in the living room and we had to toss leis in it, not as easy as you would think. Everyone dressed in Hawiaan clothes. She had Hawiaan music playing, danced the hula, foo foo drinks with little umbrellas. It was a great party and heightened everyones anticipation for the cruise. For those not lucky enough to go she gave hankies to cry in. I got a hankie and a great foo foo drink.

If you have a dollar tree, or everything's a buck type store in your area they have lots of fun and cheap things for cruise type gift bags. Since you are driving to the port you could easily bring everyone a gift bag to start off their cruise. Some of the ideas I have seen on these boards are bubbles for sail away, lanyards for the sea pass card, highlighters for the daily cruise planner, sticky notes for leaving messages for everyone, suntan lotion just to name a few. I love the idea from a PP to have a party a week ahead of time to get everyone in the mood. I also go to the website for the various islands and send away for information--sometimes it takes about 3 months to get it, but it helps to get everyone in the family excited if I can give them a brochure since they don't spend hours on these boards like I do! Have a great time!

arlodog-

I love your idea! I may have to use your idea on our next cruise...We have a couple who will be trying their first cruise with us. I love the idea of a gift bag.

Athena-

When my husband and I travel, we travel with friends, family, in-laws, cousins...We love traveling with a group. Something we like to do on the ship for fun, is have "cocktail" parties before dinner in the dining room (usually an hour before dinner).

We rotate rooms so everyone has to "host a party" and it isn't anything fancy, but it's more for fun and a good time with friends and to see everyone dressed up before dinner. The hosting family provides all the food (complimentary of the buffet of choice) and usually include cheese and crackers, fruit, shrimp (if you're lucky) vegetables, and any other finger foods. We usually bring our own beverages and chairs and have a great little get together before heading down to the dining room for dinner.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived