Formal night question

TMS9539

We're going on the Diamond Princess next month. Some of the men in our group don't want to pack formal wear because there is so much other stuff to take (coats and gloves etc.). My question is, what is the bare minimum that they could get away with in the dining room on formal nights? Would it be okay if they just wore nice pants and a tie, or do they have to wear a jacket? Could they get away with nice jeans and a button down shirt? I know on RCL I've seen people in jeans and t-shirts in the dining room on formal nights, but I don't think I've ever seen that on Princess. I'm wondering if Alaska cruises are a little more casual than others. Can anyone who's already been let me know? Thanks!

I am facing the same problem. Have you considered renting the formal wear from Princess? The prices look reasonable and everyone can rent something appropriate. I'm still trying to fit the sports jacket, which I hope will be sufficient into my suitcase.

We are just back from the Coral. Alaska does appear to be less formal than the other cruises we have done on Princess. I think your guys would be fine with a dress shirt, tie and nice slacks but I think you would be pushing it with jeans and a button down shirt. Just my opinion from what we viewed onboard. Hope this helps.

We just got off the Golden Princess and the men in our party wore jackets and ties- I did not see many men wearing jeans on formal nights in the dining rooms- I did see people in jeans- but they werent in the dining rooms (in the theater and bars).

We've decided on a suit for the 2 formal nights for my husband; we don't feel dressed up without that. Formal nights are special. We've rented tuxes for him, but we feel this is a kind of more casual cruise for us.

Hi -

We just got back from the Sapphire a week ago. We originally planned to skip both formal nights (hubby was not interested), but my parents talked my husband into the second one after they reported seeing many men without a jacket or a tie. Needless to say, we were not exactly prepared, but we pulled it off anyway.

My husband wore a button down shirt with a band collar (the kind that you don't wear a tie with normally), and dockers. He looked great! I actually had less with me - so I bought a pashamina at the $15 sale and wore it with a pullover and black capris. With a little bling from the chain-by-the-inch sale on board, my outfit was also pretty acceptable.

We found that the term "formal" on this cruise is pretty far from black-tie and I would not rent a tux unless you really love wearing them.

Hope this helps,

Stephany

On our 7/5 Sapphire sailing I decided to bring dress khakis, that I could wear on smart casual evenings, with a navy blazer and tie. Due to having to fit everything into the suitcase needed for the two weeks I had to do some serious weeding out, so the dark suit did not make the cut. I didn't feel underdressed at all, especially when sitting down at the table.:)

Archived