Info on travel w/asthmatic child

Athena1026

Hello, Have a group of 14 going East. Caribbean in April. My nephew is Asthmatic. My bro and SIL have never been out of the US. They are mildly concerned the youngest as he's on a daily steriod treatment and uses and inhaler as needed for his asthma.

I know lots of people have asthma and all triggers are different... but have any of you traveled with asthmatic child. Is there anything you'd recommend to do or not do. Extras you pack of just in case? Does the climate seem to help or irritate the condition?

Trying to put SIL mind at ease. Thanks for and input.

We went to Mexico this summer and our son, who is 11, did great. We live in Washington state and his asthma has been a pain this summer. He also is on a steroid 2x a day and carries his albuterol inhaler in his fanny pack with his epi pens (he has a food allergy as well). On our cruise, he kept his inhaler with him and we also brought his portable nebulizer just in case. Honestly, he was better on our cruise than the last 3-4 months. Didn't need albuterol at all. It was great! :D

Hi -

My youngest daughter has asthma, evironmental allergies, and food allergies. MY daughter takes daily steriods for her asthama and daily meds for her allergies.

We have been on several cruises - Western and Southern Carribean, Bahamas. In addition, we have stayed a week in the Caymans.

I have never had any trouble - but you always want to be prepared.

There are several things I do to prepare for the trip:

1. Take to the Dr. prior to the trip. Let the Doc know where we are going. Make sure have enough meds and addt'l steriods (predisone) for emergencies. Also, I have Dr give me a sheet listing meds for green, yellow, and red zones - this saves time trying to explain.

2. Bring add'l items to clean the cabin. Fabreeze, Lysol spray -- both for beds, room etc. Clorox wipes. You can just leave what you do not use.

Saw someone reccommend a Iconic Breeze - room size. This maybe helpful to make sure clean air is circulated. We have not done this in the past and been fine, but depends on the child. We have booked inside cabins in past - air stays on and we can keep clean without worrying about balacony bringing in environmental allergies.

3. Depending on how bad the asthama is you may want to contact the ships Dr when you get onboard. Let them know about the asthama.

4. If the child is going to the kids club - be sure to tell the staff.

5. Make sure to always carry emergency inhaler when getting off for shore excursions.

6. Make sure all meds are labeled from pharmacy so they know it is prescribed and lists dosage etc.

7. If allergies are bad, may want to bring or ask if they have allergy matress and pillow covers.

8. Look into trip insurance. This will give you some peace of mind in case something happens and need to get off ship for medical reasons. Verify the coverage and your own medical coverage.

You all are going to have a great time. I would be happy to talk to you more specifically about how she did in each place - just let me know.

Have a great time!

Kim ;)

DS is 10 and has been asthmatic since he was 5. He's been on 3 cruises now. And, we brought his Xoponex and Pulmicort inhalers and his nebulizer. Never needed any of them at all. I was shocked! He usually needs his rescue inhaler several times a day. We still carry the Xoponex inhaler wherever we go just in case. But, for whatever reason, no triggers in the Caribbean or Bermuda. And, the cabin stewards do such a good job with dusting and vacuuming, too. So, he never had a problem.

We were in a Penthouse suite all 3 times. So, we carried our portable cabin phone whenever we left him in the Kids Crew. I carried his inhaler with me. So, if he needed it, all they had to do was call me. Never got the call....

Archived