Cheap skates?

m steve

Go to office depot and buy a pack of garage sale colored dots. Just find out which color they're using that day and pop one on your lapel. If the ship is using a color you don't have,just venture into town and find a group from another ship and maybe you'll have their color?

All kidding aside ... :) ...

You want "priority tendering" but aren't staying in a suite? No problem. Just save those little stickys the shore excursion staff give you when you take tours. They always reuse the colors and the graphic is always the same ... the little ship. Then, when you are in a port where you are not taking a ship's tour, just pop one on your shirt. Wait until the shore excursion people are lining up for a tender and merge in with them. No one will ever know. :)

Gets you off the ship much earlier than waiting for them to start handing out tender tickets in the Queen's Lounge for the independent folks. :)

Now, don't flame me ... I've never done this. The thought just came to mind one day as I was waiting in the Wajang Theater for them to send our shore excursion group to the tendering station.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm waiting for someone to try to book a "Standing Room Only" reservation. No room, no bed, no closet just hang around the deck and wait for an available lounge chair for sleeping.
Don't laugh ... I remember reading something about a woman who did just that ... years ago on a Cunard ship. This was back in the day when passengers could have friends come onboard before the ship sailed and security was much more lax.

Apparently she got the idea that she would like to take a cruise so she just walked onboard. Then she stayed ... sleeping at the pool during the day, washing up in the public restrooms, eating in the Lido, hiding her one small suitcase somewhere so that she could change, hiding out at night in little nooks and crannies onboard the ship where no one would see her and question why she was on the public decks so late.

She wrote an article about the experience. Said it was a miserable week that she would never want to repeat. I think she actually did get away with it though.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm in Florida and it's about 96 degrees with 100 percent humidity. The A/C is cranked up and the electric meter is spinning like a top.

It was only a month ago we were in Alaska,it seems like we never went. I have to keep looking at my photos to convince myself we actually went. Other than that it's stifling hot.

Bummer, I commiserate with you. It's been in the mid 90s here with high humidity due to Christobo. But you have it over me, I haven't been to AK in some time. Loved that cruise, but tend to gravitate to the winter sailings to avoid the chill and keep the blood thinned out for the summer oppression. It's easier to add layers than to shed, so I figure my winter cruises are contributing to lower utility costs, making them even more affordable. ;)

I load up on enough of those little butter packets to last me the rest of the year. Pretty easy to get away with on an Alaska cruise, but far more challenging with a caribbean.:D

That's where your roll on cooler comes in handy.

Never, never buy a photo.

Reading too fast: "Never, never buy a potato."

Huh? LOL...oops! :D

I had an ex-bf who had a cheap uncle. He used to steal napkins from McDonalds and take them home to use as toilet paper. :eek: Now *that* is cheap!

Hijack a walking tour.

Just follow along behind and get all the benefits of the tour, including the tour guide's narration, without having to pay a cent. Hey, bring the whole family and you could really save a few bucks. :)

I got the Unofficial Guide to New Orleans and when discussing visiting their famous cemeteries the guide actually recommended latching onto a tour group if you are there by yourself because it can be dangerous to be alone.

Hijack a walking tour.

Just follow along behind and get all the benefits of the tour, including the tour guide's narration, without having to pay a cent. Hey, bring the whole family and you could really save a few bucks. :)

The Unofficial Guide to New Orleans suggests doing just this if you are by yourself and want to tour some of the old cemeteries. It says they are dangerous when you are by alone, so latch onto a group of folks. Of course, the only reason I'd know to join a tour for protection is because I read the book, so I could just as easily sign up for a tour.

You'll need a little money to pay for your cruise expenses. How about becoming a part-time elevator operator? Collect tips. Or you could gather a handful of sugar packets, some lemons from behind the bar, and a tray of glasses from the Lido. Set up a lemonade stand.

I'm just kidding! Or, am I:rolleyes:

We always smuggle alcohol in our luggage. However, we also run up quite a bar bill. I don't feel one bit bad about it. It is nice to be able to have a cocktail before dinner or anytime for that matter.

Actually we are wine drinkers and love the liberal bring wine aboard policy on HAL. We are doing a 12 day Northern Europe next month, bringing our 21 year old son who only drinks premium beers so HAL doesn't need to be too concerned about not getting money from us. I also play Bingo so I do not feel one bit guilty for anything I smuggle in.

We always smuggle alcohol in our luggage. However, we also run up quite a bar bill. I don't feel one bit bad about it. It is nice to be able to have a cocktail before dinner or anytime for that matter.

Actually we are wine drinkers and love the liberal bring wine aboard policy on HAL. We are doing a 12 day Northern Europe next month, bringing our 21 year old son who only drinks premium beers so HAL doesn't need to be too concerned about not getting money from us. I also play Bingo so I do not feel one bit guilty for anything I smuggle in.

If you smuggle liquor,and bring wine,why not just smuggle the beer as well?

I just want to apologize for my double post earlier. I was having all sorts of problems with this site earlier, and my first post didn't show up, and now that both posts are there neither has an edit button for me to go in and erase one.

I just want to apologize for my double post earlier. I was having all sorts of problems with this site earlier, and my first post didn't show up, and now that both posts are there neither has an edit button for me to go in and erase one.
Just FYI: you can hit the red "alert" triangle in the upper right-hand corner and ask a Host to delete anything you would like to "retract" after 20 minutes ... but I wouldn't bother just for a double post.

So your saying that the full set of HAL flatware we collected was a no no?

Oh and here's a tip, don't put to much Tide in the jacuzzi tub when your doing the laundry and use extra strong clips when hanging on the verandah if your underway. :D

There have been some comments that people who bring liquor, wine, beer, water or soda on board are cheap skates. I am sure that there are others who find a way to cut cruise costs. How about bringing lounge chairs and umbrellas so they don't have to pay the guy on the beach his $5. Or the ones who only eat at the buffet and remove the dining room tips from their charge account. I am sure that some of you can think of more. This isn't here to be flamed but for fun!

There are lot of outdoor markets on most cruises, you can shop for your groceries, fruit, cheese, meats etc. and eat in your room, why not bring a microwave with you....

There are lot of outdoor markets on most cruises, you can shop for your groceries, fruit, cheese, meats etc. and eat in your room, why not bring a microwave with you....

But food is already included in the cruise fare - why spend more on food? :confused:

But food is already included in the cruise fare - why spend more on food? :confused:

Yes, I understand, but what are you gonna do if you have nights with just Lobster, escargots and nasi goreng, and no spam!

So your saying that the full set of HAL flatware we collected was a no no?

How did you get the pastry tongs, soup ladle, and pie lifter?:confused:

Did you hijack a Dining Room Steward?:eek: We a missing these items.:D

Archived