White Pass Railway & Trail Camp

gisele21

Hi,

I am thinking about this excursion but would like input from others. We are a family of 4, kids are age 1 and 5, and my mother (age 79) will also be traveling with us. My sister and her family are also on the same cruise, but we don't have to do the same excursions. If this is something we decide we want to do, we'll do it if my sister doesn't (right now she thinks the train is boring...)

I was thinking that train up and bus down with the Trail Camp stop would be good for us - more breaks and change of venues with the 1 and 5 year old. Is Liarsville a good stop, with the gold panning (thought that would be fun for my son)? I understand it's a "fabricated" gold rush town, but did they do a good job of it? Or am I better off with just a train roundtrip, or train and bus with no Liarsville stop, and my husband takes our son gold panning elsewhere.

I was also planning to take my mother on a helicopter glacier ride in the morning, booked through the ship. The excursion ends at 11am and the WP with Trail Camp begins at 12:10pm. They suggest at least 1 hour between excursions - do you think this is enough time?

Thanks!

I was disappointed at the stop at Liars Camp BUT I am an adult. I think it would be great fun for the kids. Dancing girls walking around, stores, panning for gold etc. Oh and sled dogs for your viewing. I would take my grandkids anytime. We thats if I had any...

Hi,

I am thinking about this excursion but would like input from others. We are a family of 4, kids are age 1 and 5, and my mother (age 79) will also be traveling with us. My sister and her family are also on the same cruise, but we don't have to do the same excursions. If this is something we decide we want to do, we'll do it if my sister doesn't (right now she thinks the train is boring...) I was also planning to take my mother on a helicopter glacier ride in the morning, booked through the ship. The excursion ends at 11am and the WP with Trail Camp begins at 12:10pm. They suggest at least 1 hour between excursions - do you think this is enough time?

Thanks!

Gisele,

I took my 84 y/o parents on the nine hour Chilkoot train/bus combination. They are very young, drive their own motorhome across country and camp. That said, you may want to consider the sum total of the day for your mom unless you did not plan her joining you on the train. We were all very tired and we are very active people at the end of this day. The cold and rain adds to the toll it takes on your body. Several on our cruise took this combination with the musher camp and their kids LOVED it and the puppies.

Janice

We did this excursion last June and enjoyed it. The train was the highlight and you go alittle farther on this excursion. Lots of snow towards the end! You then go back to Liarsville on the bus. Liarsville will not be the highlight of your vacation, but it was fun. Our kids enjoyed the little show they did and the gold panning. The kits are premade, so you are guarenteed to get alittle gold. Our experience with our kids is planes, trains, boats--they love the different transportation. Being from South Caroliana--anytime we can find snow, they like that too!

Personally, we did the 3 1/2 hour trip and while it was BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, I was done. Couldn't imagine 8 hrs of it. I think the kids would be bored after 2 or 3. The 3 1/2 hr one is round trip train only, and very well narrated. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Archived