Dollars v sterling v euro

We are sailing on Saturday for our first cruise - the meditteranean. We are wondering whether its best to take travellers cheques in US dollars, Sterling or Euros? Can anyone advise asap cos I need to b getting them tomorrow or Friday morning. Yes I know very last minute!!!! :rolleyes:

Just got back from a Queen Victoria Norwegian cruise. We took travelers checks in US dollars and only used them to cash for the tips at the end of the cruise. More important than travelers checks is your credit card. Best way to buy anything in Europe is with a credit card where you will get the best exchange rate. When you convert travelers checks into foreign currency on board the ship you will not get the offical exchange rate but a much less advantageous rate. We did exchange about $100 in local currency to deal with minor expenses on shore but for the most part stuck with our credit card.

Also, remember to call your credit card company before you leave and let them know you will be making purchases outside the USA. I once failed to do that and my credit card company thought that I was making unauthorized purchases and cut off the credit card. Fortunately I had a backup card but now I always call in advance and never had that problem again.

My partner is very security minded with his credit card having had it cloned about 3 times now (its his business card) and will only use it for on board expenses. He's cleared it with his bank but again only for use on board, so we are going to be using either cash or travellers cheques. I'm assuming we'll be able to change them once on dry land and get a reasonable exchange rate. I just wondered whether the best exchange rate would be dollars to euros or sterling to euros :confused:

It is difficult to cash Travelers checks in Europe. Usually you must go to a bank with your passport and even then it is a long process. This applies to any denomination checks-Euros, Pounds or dollars. Your best bet is to try AAA for Euro pacs or to use your ATM card (notify bank) once on land. The ATM is king in the Med.:)

B.

If you insist on using travelers' checks, I suggest you get them in whatever currency the ship uses and cash them on the-board. Then convert the cash on shore.

I assume most cruise lines cash TCs for no fee (all the ships I've been on do that but I'd check with the cruise line if I were you).

Paul

Get to your local travel agent with a bureau de change and get some euros. I an doing the Med trip in september and that is all I am taking. For any large purchases use the credit card, keep the euros for tips and tea/coffee sarnies etc. Have a good trip

I assume most cruise lines cash TCs for no fee (all the ships I've been on do that but I'd check with the cruise line if I were you).

Paul

The fee is the lousy exchange rate you get on board when you cash a travelers check into another denomination.

The ATM is king in the Med.:)

B.

ATM is a good way to go but even here you have to be careful because you don't have the same protections that you have with a credit card in terms of unauthorized use.

Make sure the cash balance in the checking account related to the ATM card is a modest account so if, god forbid, someone gets hold of it you don't have a large amount at risk. I even know of people who open a separate checking account with a different ATM card for use on overseas trips and put in just enough cash into the account to cover the amount they want to spend on the trip so that their larger checking account is not at risk.

Archived