Pearl Deck 4

RJA67

We did the Pearl and Jewel the last two years and noticed that deck 4 is terrible especially in the morning as people line up to disembark. you are coming from breakfast and cannot make your way to your cabin to get your belongings becuase there are so many people waiting to get off the ship. if you need to be on deck 4 try to stay away from the forward and center exits. however, i think that deck 4 only has cabins in those exact areas.

the pearl is a fantastic ship.....but deck 4 is probably iffy depending on the cruise and the location on that deck. when we were on her in the winter, deck 4 was jammed with passengers waiting to get off at various ports....it's noisey and if you open your door, no privacy. we were 'waitees' but i remember thinking that i was reallllly glad we were not on that deck. we loved being on a high deck. it's all what you want and what you're willing to compromise. just enjoy the cruise.

We did the Pearl and Jewel the last two years and noticed that deck 4 is terrible especially in the morning as people line up to disembark. you are coming from breakfast and cannot make your way to your cabin to get your belongings becuase there are so many people waiting to get off the ship. if you need to be on deck 4 try to stay away from the forward and center exits. however, i think that deck 4 only has cabins in those exact areas.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this....We stayed on deck 4 mid-ship, and (unknown to us when we booked) it turned out to be fantastic. We would head down to our room about 15 minutes before the disembarkation times at the ports to get our camera, jackets, etc.-- and there were no crowds at all on deck 4 (they continually made announcements instructing passengers to stay off deck 4 until given the green light to go down). As soon as we got off the elevator to head back to our room, a crew member would ask us if we had a cabin on deck 4, and would then let us proceed. Then, we would just wait in our room by the door for the disembark announcement, walk about 25 steps to the gangway, and we were off before the rest of the passengers could even get down to deck 4. Then, on the re-embarkations, we would just walk straight to our room to drop off bags, etc., and we avoided the big crowds of those passengers needing an elevator to get back to their decks. I guess it would have been a hassle if you like to remain in your room or roaming your hallway while docked in port, but if you want to get off the ship easier than everyone else at the ports, deck 4 rocks.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this....We stayed on deck 4 mid-ship, and (unknown to us when we booked) it turned out to be fantastic. We would head down to our room about 15 minutes before the disembarkation times at the ports to get our camera, jackets, etc.-- and there were no crowds at all on deck 4 (they continually made announcements instructing passengers to stay off deck 4 until given the green light to go down). As soon as we got off the elevator to head back to our room, a crew member would ask us if we had a cabin on deck 4, and would then let us proceed. Then, we would just wait in our room by the door for the disembark announcement, walk about 25 steps to the gangway, and we were off before the rest of the passengers could even get down to deck 4. Then, on the re-embarkations, we would just walk straight to our room to drop off bags, etc., and we avoided the big crowds of those passengers needing an elevator to get back to their decks. I guess it would have been a hassle if you like to remain in your room or roaming your hallway while docked in port, but if you want to get off the ship easier than everyone else at the ports, deck 4 rocks.

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! We sail in a few weeks and everyone kept telling us to stay away from deck 4 because of the gangway issue. But it was all our budget allowed, has a window, rooms above us so we wouldn't have noise. And we were hoping that we could actually AVOID the crowds by being right by the entrance/exit. I so hope it works out they way you described!

I was on deck 4 (4531) last Summer to Alaska. We loved deck 4. It was very quiet except for 1 time when people were exiting at Ketchikan. We docked at 6:00a. I liked being low in the ship it didn't seem to rock as much down there as higher up decks.

The one thing that I found rather annoying on the Jewel when we stayed on deck 5 is the feeling of "you can't get there from here". Deck 4 on any of the Jewel class ships would be the same. Since you can't get to the aft stairs or elevator, it makes it a little harder to get around the ship. We ate most of our meals in the Summer Palace, and in order to get there, you had to go up to deck 7 before you could go back into the restaurant at deck 6. Like I said, not a huge deal -- just slightly inconvenient.

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for! We sail in a few weeks and everyone kept telling us to stay away from deck 4 because of the gangway issue. But it was all our budget allowed, has a window, rooms above us so we wouldn't have noise. And we were hoping that we could actually AVOID the crowds by being right by the entrance/exit. I so hope it works out they way you described!

You'll love the Pearl -- and deck 4. Note that there is one port (other than Seattle) that you get off/on on a different deck.....I can't remember which port (but the gangway is on deck 6 or 7 I think....) Have a great time!!!!!

The deck positions of the gangways vary in Alaska according to the tides. I know there was at least one port (Ketchikan, I think) where we got off on one level and boarded on another. I don't remember very many ports in Alaska where we used deck 4, but I might be forgetting some.

Archived