Calling experienced Cruise Moms, Can you help me pack?!

ladymonty

Hello. I have been around these boards for quite some time, but don't post often. We are going on a Carib cruise in Dec. and I have already started to do some preliminary packing. I know it is really early, but you can't find summer clothes in Denver in Dec.:) I am just curious how much stuff you pack for 2 children. My DD is 6 and my DS is 3. Potty training is done, thank goodness. I have several mix and match Gymbo outfits for my daughter, and my little guy lives in polos and shorts, but I just don't want to way over pack or way under pack. How much stuff should I bring?

Thanks!!

I always pack one shorts outfit/day and one dressier outfit for dining. But don't forget long pants and sweaters. It gets cold at night, especially in the airconditioned dining rooms. I never seem to pack enough "warm" clothes for the kids.

And whatever my kids wear to dinner they go to the kids club that night wearing it.

I followed Michelle's advice - packed one outfit each for day and one for night. I also pack my girls clothes with the hangers still on (just fold them in half) so that when I'm unpacking, it just takes a moment to hang everything up. The one thing I did wrong the first cruise was pack too many shoes. Now, instead of bringing all the matchy shoes for each outfit, they make do with white sandals, water shoes and their dressy shoes for night.

Best,

Mia

Hello. I have been around these boards for quite some time, but don't post often. We are going on a Carib cruise in Dec. and I have already started to do some preliminary packing. I know it is really early, but you can't find summer clothes in Denver in Dec.:) I am just curious how much stuff you pack for 2 children. My DD is 6 and my DS is 3. Potty training is done, thank goodness. I have several mix and match Gymbo outfits for my daughter, and my little guy lives in polos and shorts, but I just don't want to way over pack or way under pack. How much stuff should I bring?

Thanks!!

Gymbo is the way to go with a small girl, it all mixes and matches! I take shorts and a short sleeve shirt for reveryday and then matching jeans and long sleeve shirts to suppliment in case it is cooler after dark. 2-3 swimsuits and 2 nice dresses

Another thing to consider is if the ship you will be on has a self-serve laundry. Throwing in a load along the way is not a big deal - I hate dirty, damp clothes in the cabin and young ones tend to get into things that may stain - sooner washed the better. I know a lot of folks say they are on vacation and are not going to do laundry but it really isn't any trouble.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I think the outfits we have that have a shirt with matching capris and shorts/skirts will definitely be the way to go. I just found some really cute tanks with coordinating shorts (all tanks go with all shorts) for cheap on clearance at Target so I picked those up for easy outfits as well. I think we are going to try to just bring a few pairs of shoes as well. Knowing my DD, she could easily pick out a different pair for each day on the ship:rolleyes:

I think for my DS, it will be just lots of polos to mix and match with shorts and khaki pants. I am thinking he only needs two pair of shoes, one nice pair of brown sandals and one pair of Keens.

I just wish December would get here sooner:)

In addition to the above mentioned clothes, I always bring a first aid kit with tylenol, thermometer, band aids, aloe, etc. Just having this seems to ward off any illness! When my family cruised at Christmas 2006, we told my 3 dd's that we were only bringing their stockings. We left Santa a note at home to just leave the larger presents there because it would be too much to have the reindeers fly over the ocean- they would get too tired!

I way overpacked for my son. Brought him shorts/shirt for each day and dinner clothes for each evening as well as several pair of swim trunks. Next time I am only packing swim trunks with shirt for each day and dinner clothes. I think he was only out of swim trunks for dinner and bed. Over packed on the shoes too - brought tennis shoes, flip flops, crocks and dress shoes. Only used dress shoes and crocks.

I bring fewer clothes than most people here. I've learned that on sea days, my children wear swimsuits until dinner time. So, I don't bring a day time outfit on those days.

I also gamble and try to have my children re-wear clothes. My kids are young, so we generally are only in port for a couple of hours -- and even that might be at the beach -- and then it's back onboard and off to the pool.

So for a seven day cruise, I usually only bring 3-4 pairs of shorts, for example.

I way overpacked for my son. Brought him shorts/shirt for each day and dinner clothes for each evening as well as several pair of swim trunks. Next time I am only packing swim trunks with shirt for each day and dinner clothes. I think he was only out of swim trunks for dinner and bed. Over packed on the shoes too - brought tennis shoes, flip flops, crocks and dress shoes. Only used dress shoes and crocks.

I am thinking my little guy will live in swim trunks as well. We have a matching swim shirt for each pair of swim trunks because he is so incredibly fair. I am guessing he will run around in those most of the day. I am debating bringing his crocs vs. his regular water sandals. I am not sure which one we would use more.

For the unexpected illness: lots of baby wipes, disposable bibs and disposable changing pads. I never travel without these items, my child has been potty trained for a long time but has suffered stomach flu twice when traveling.

I also bring my own antibacterial hand soap, leave it behind at the end of our trip. And tons of antibacterial wipes. Somehow, my youngest always gets sick anyway. :(

Here are my packing notes from our 5 day trip to Disney in March, if anyone is interested. I'm a chronic overpacker, so I actually took notes when I unpacked last trip!

Cloths for my daughter age 2.5:

No rain, didn't use rain jackets or disposable rain ponchos

Used 2 of 3 pr pajamas

Used 1 of 2 swimsuits

used 4 of 8 outfits

Used 1 of 5 undershirts

Used 2 of 6 pr socks

used sweater

used fleece hoodie

used 5 of 12 disposable bibs

used 1/2 pkg of baby wipes, took 2 full packages of 40

used 1 pk of 20 antibacterial wipes, took 4 pkgs

I also have one emergency outfit when going ashore or theme parks. This is an outfit that all 3 children can fit into DD8, DS6, DD4. The may not look great but will work in a pinch. I usually do a soccer uniform that way it is gender neutral.

• 4 months later...

my 35 month old was trained when we left on a cruise in 2006 and she had several accidents. She had not been trained that long, a couple months, so if yours has been trained longer it might be okay. As soon as we got home, she was fine with no accidents. I think she got so caught up in the kids club stuff, she forgot. Of course, I preferred to wash the clothes that had pee on them than keep them in the room, so I did some laundry while we were on the ship. If you might do laundry, try to get a couple sample size detergents to bring (sometimes websites ) so you don't have to pay so much for it on the ship.

I haven't actually read the responses on this thread... I just had to say this... I read the title of the thread, and all I could think of was, 'No. No, I can't help anyone pack. Unless you want to take way more stuff than you actually need, I really can't help you.' :p

Anyway, I just thought I'd share... hope it can give some of you a bit of a chuckle. :) (not because I'm funny, just because it's so sadly true!)

Archived